Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add that one plus for the inflatable is that it is very easy for an uncoordinated person to pull it up alongside the mother boat and get in or load cargo in. You can step on the side tubes without fear of capsizing (you don't have to step into the exact middle for stability). And the load capacity is quite a bit larger than a regular boat of a similar length. Our 10' Zodiac and Honda BF 2 will fit in the trunk of our Honda Accord along with luggage and a cooler. I guess a dingy, like any boat , is a compromise.
Lonedrake45

City/Region: Auburn
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out www.portabote.com

Good Luck

Aiviq

City/Region: Juba
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Aiviq
Photos: Aiviq
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Bombard AX3, which I like. It's 8'6" and weighs about 35 lbs. There are two models available, one with a slated plywood floor, and the other (which I have) is called the "aerotech" floor, which is a high pressure inflatable floor. I think it's a lighter, more compact package with the inflatable floor, and the high pressure really gives a firm, stable platform. It fits well up on top, and comes with oars, or can take a 2-3 hp kicker. It also comes in longer lengths, if you have more than 3 people to ferry around (the AX4 is 9'6"). Jim
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Inflatable Dinghies Reply with quote

We started with the Costco Intex, about $69 or $79 if I recall correctly (still have it, it could be yours at the SBS! Also bought the 12 volt air dealie and the outboard bracket), and it was great UNTIL we got the camperback. Then it was too long. Here is a picture of it:

Then we got the Mercury RU-260 (8'6" roll up) from Busters Marine via the Internet - a WHOLE lot cheaper than the same boat at West Marine. Sorry, no pictures of it. Have a Mercury 2.5 outboard for it. This fits on top with the camperback up just fine, but frankly it is NOT that easy for me to get on board and up on top alone, especially if there is any wind or wave action. Still, I can do it. Outboard storage is a PITA, and if anybody has figured out a really satisfactory solution to this, I would like see/hear it...

RicksAmigo1 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with the best kind of inflatable dinghies on the market to use with the CD? We have been surfing the Internet and came across some reasonably priced Mercury dinghies. Anyone have one of these?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Dinghy and Radar? Reply with quote

I've got a potentially stupid question for you dinghy and radar experts.

My radar dome is mounted on a 6" pedestal on the front of the roof. If I was to purchase a dinghy, which I am seriously considering, the obvious place to store it would be on the roof top. I could place it either directly over the radar dome which would be the preferred option or immediately behind it. My question is..... how does the dinghy effect radar performance???? I am thinking either the Achilles 7' made of Hypalon or the Bombard A2 likely made of PVC.

I'm hoping that by some miracle beyond the level of my comprehension, the radar is not affected. If it is, it looks like a tall radar arch could be in order.

Tim
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggled over what to do about a dingy. I had a GI Joe inflatable for awhile but did not feel comfortable with it. I finally decided on an a two man inflatable kayak. I can launch and retrieve it from the bow by myself and still keep the camper back on. It is very stable and Robbin has yet to fall in getting into it which is a good test, (hope she doesn't read this). It is made of hypolon and is very tuff. We used it a lot this summer and has worked well for our purposes.
True Story

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Fred. Obviously, someone in this group had the foresight to think about this before they mounted their radar. Looks like your raft fit's nicely. Perhaps you could tell me what kind of raft you have and where you purchased your arch?
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim -
we traveled throughout Southeast Alaska with our inflatable on the roof, covering the radome. No problem whatsoever. It's probably a good idea not to have carabiniers or other metal hardware up there.

Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I had the arch put on when we purchased the boat from Les. Seth Brooks from Brooks Marine 360-299-2956 in Anacortes fabricated and installed the arch.
The kayak is a two man Hyside Padillac.. I also seriously considered a Innova Helios.
True Story

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much El and Bill and Fred for your replies. Can't say enough about how valuable a resource this site can be. It's amazing to think that radar still works with a dinghy on the roof. Nice to know I have a couple of options to consider.

Tim
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: REPOST Reply with quote

I posted this on another thread and am copying it here... Smile

“AIRE” “Traveler” model.

http://www.aire.com/traveler.shtml

I would not trade it for anything!! I would not have purchased a “dinghy” if I had known how much better I liked the canoe instead. It is absolutely self bailing. Super-Duper-Stable. Draws less water and is far easier to go ashore with than the little inflatable tender I bought, with a keel. Much better for two or more peeps to go “apaddling-around-on” (all day) really cruises with ease! IS lighter, and has an “inner-blatter” system I have come to “see-the-light” in, making it much more “repairable” out in the field… should you ever pull a “Greg” and end up puncturing it. Lol---just kidding, I still have yet to pop any “may-pop” around! (a ‘may-pop’ is another word for ‘inflatable’)
I know there waaay---spendy!! But the enjoyment level is right-up-there! Smile Love

ps: THE ONLY THING IS (OF COURSE) IS IT IS LIKE A "LEAF IN THE WIND" REALLY SHOULD HAVE 2-PEEPS TO GO PADDLING ON A WINDY DAY! Smile
C-Biscuit

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: C-Biscuit
Photos: C-Biscuit
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Inflatable Dinghy Reply with quote

Greg,
Joe is trying to talk me into the zodiac style he has on Sun Dog. I almost bought one of these Aire Travelers last summer, but couldn't find enough loose change in my couch to foot the bill. Crying or Very sad I know you've spent a LOT of time in PWS but never can find you on the VHF. Have you noted any downside to you Traveler? Do you stow it on the roof while underway or tow it? How does it do with all the barnacles? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Xmas LOL
The C-Biscuit

Plan C

City/Region: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. I bought my C-Dory from Les, and he gave me the same advice last summer. I did buy the little 2HP Honda, but I had the chance right off to buy a used 8 or 8.5 Avon for not much money. I did that, and discovered that it was a two person job to put it on the roof. The reason was not the weight, but the awkwardness of it. I pretty much hated it.
Then I found an AX1 at a very good price at Defender, and bought it. It is wonderful. I feel it rows okay for short distances. Haven't tried the engine yet. It is extremely easy to handle. I can pull it out of the water with one hand. It is small enough you can stack it upright in the cockpit and still see around it. It is a great solution. Also I was advised that PVC works better in cold areas, and hypalon in bright sunny places.

Dave
Redƒox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awright! Pleased to “meet you” C-Biscuit.

Well shoot, sorry we never hooked-up out there! One of the best things and a small miracle, is to actually ‘hook-up’ out in the immense SOUND!!
I thought I heard someone call “RedFox” on the radio a couple times this summer, but I was afraid to answer! Embarrased (lol) Next time I’ll muster-up the courage though ;D

OK. AS far as barnacles go… I avoid them like the plague!! I see they have raised all kinds of hell against my inflatable dinghy… so with the new canoe (it bein’ so dang purdy and all) I don’t even get close enough to a barnacle to find out! I spoze it would fair about the same, but it draws a couple inches or more! (less water) that right there makes it far less vulnerable to scraping barnacles. And if ya did… it would be easier to repair, with it’s “double-wall” design.

I’m fixin’ to head out next month and go hunt for some “winter king” Nothing more exciting than catching one of them in the dead of winter ;D

Oops… almost forgot. I carry the thing on the roof. It’s pretty light and not too cumbersome, though it’s sort of huge! Some times I tow it, but it does not tow very well, lashed to the gunnels, (it starts taking in water through it’s self-bailing ports) Tows pretty well behind RedFox though. As a matter of fact…. I did actually put a “D-Ring” on the bow, so to tow better that way. Maybe I can get a pic posted on that. They don’t have a good ring to hook to for towing (only complaint)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: