View previous topic :: View next topic  
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Planning a St Lawrence River Cruise Reply with quote

Now that the sun has reached its nadir my thoughts turn to summer, long days, and time on the water on our C-Dory 22.

Smile

One trip I'd love to take is a 2-3 day trip down the St Lawrence to Quebec City. We'd probably stay at least a week and then return upstream.

I've considered starting near Massena, NY as I have family nearby. But that adds at least 2 days of cruising time, down big lakes, through locks, and the rest. The other thought is to trailer up to Sorel (downstream from Montreal) and take 2 days to travel to Quebec (leaving the truck, trailer at a marina).

We have not yet done an overnight cruise, but would plan on staying at Marinas (or hotels, B&B near marina). I'm planning on an overnight or two this spring on the Chesapeake as a shakedown and to determine if it's something we really want to do (we've both canoe camped, backpacked, etc).

So my questions are: Has anyone done this trip? Any recommendations for preparing? Shakedown / break-in suggestions?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cruised from Gananoque to Rockport on the Canadian side a few times - a few pics in my album here - http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2238&id=IMGP0274_1&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Spent some time on the Isle de Orleans near Quebec City back in the 70's. All beautiful cruising areas. Enjoy the trip.

Regards,

Rob

daninPA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Rob.

We've been able to spend some time just east of the Thousand Islands near Waddington -- beautiful clear water, no tides, and hardly any waves -- quite a pleasant change from the Chesapeake!

Another question for the group: What's an acceptable average daily mileage in a C-Dory? We've done 20 miles in a day, but usually lots of stops, floats, and time ashore. The route from Sorel to Quebec City is over 100 miles and I'm wondering if I should plan 2 or 3 days?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were doing the rivers, 50 miles was about an average day. This could be 6 hours at 8 knots or 2 hours at 25 knots. Often we would explore side bays, displacement speed going up, planing speed on runs back to the main river.

Why not stay on the boat the entire trip. I see it much harder lugging various pieces of luggage to a hotel and B & B. The C Dory 22 is a great boat for a couple to cruise full time on for a couple of weeks.

Enjoy your trip!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
daninPA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
When we were doing the rivers, 50 miles was about an average day. This could be 6 hours at 8 knots or 2 hours at 25 knots. Often we would explore side bays, displacement speed going up, planing speed on runs back to the main river.

Why not stay on the boat the entire trip. I see it much harder lugging various pieces of luggage to a hotel and B & B. The C Dory 22 is a great boat for a couple to cruise full time on for a couple of weeks.

Enjoy your trip!

Great feedback -- thanks!

Good point on the luggage hauling -- that brings its own tedium. Once we arrive in Quebec City, we would tie up and spend the week in a hotel. So we split the difference which is a great compromise.

50 miles in a day seems reasonable. I'm thinking more than 4 hours of motor noise would get to be too much like work.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm thinking more than 4 hours of motor noise would get to be too much like work.

At low RPM it is not that bad with the door closed. We did a month run of about 4500 miles on a diesel powered motorsailer and the engine going the whole time right under the pilot house floor. The exception was every 200 hours we changed oil and filters...You get used to the noise.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing re. miles per day on the Saint Lawrence - it is a big river but the area where I was - lots of islands and some narrows to navigate. You also have to pay attention to the international border line on your plotter. I did 40 miles a day quite easily but the first trip we had a guide to follow and later trips just followed my track on plotter. Good to pre plan your day and if staying at marina check availability of transient slips - may need to pre book in high season. Farther downstream where you plan on cruising it will be wider. With wind against current it can get quite choppy. If you are crossing to the Canadian side the Parks Canada Pass will allow you to tie up or anchor at various stops. I have met some Rosborough owners that live along the river. Some are on the Facebook Rosborough Owners group if you want to ask there for ideas as well.

Rob
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA wrote:
... Another question for the group: What's an acceptable average daily mileage in a C-Dory? We've done 20 miles in a day, but usually lots of stops, floats, and time ashore. The route from Sorel to Quebec City is over 100 miles and I'm wondering if I should plan 2 or 3 days?

Depends on what there is to see along the way and the conditions. Just getting from A to B I've done 80-100 miles a day no problem. Just running around where I live on a nice afternoon can be about 50 miles. If there are things to see, rough water, slow zones, the daily mileage will be a lot less.

IMO, the motor noise is not a problem. 4 stroke O/Bs are not that noisy at mid ranges speeds (~4K rpm). Mine gets noticeably louder when run at WOT. Close the cabin door if it bothers you, but that will cut down the cabin ventilation a lot if the weather is hot.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tossing this out: you have accommodations that move with you on the water; instead of thinking of the boat as just a conveyance, consider it your hotel or B&B on the water. If you're staying in Quebec for a week, book a full-service marina and you will have hot showers plus whatever amenities they offer, for a lot less $$ than a hotel, AND you will have your own sheets and pillows. Consider it part of the adventure.

When we cruised on our CD-25, a week in New York City (at Liberty Landing Marina) gave us gorgeous evening views of the city skyline and all the comforts of home in our boat. Same with spending a week in Seattle at Bell Harbor Marina, where you are just steps from downtown.

We spent up to 6 months onboard on various trips; slept every night on the boat. When hauling the boat behind the truck, we stayed in the boat at RV parks/campgrounds. When visiting relatives for a night or two, we received the offer of "Wouldn't you like to sleep in a real bed?"

"Um, we have a real bed. And a kitchen. Bathroom. TV. And never have to schlep our stuff around." People who haven't tried it can't imagine you can be "comfortable on a boat." (That misconception helps keep the crowds down in the anchorages and at marinas. Wink )

The distance traveled in a day is dependent on where you are traveling. If just "making miles," we could do 100 miles in a day. In interesting places (the Erie Canal comes to mind, with all those great historic towns along the canal), it might be just a few miles. Making miles to get to Chatterbox Falls (in BC, Canada), and then just a few miles a day to find interesting anchorages and marinas in Desolation Sound. I like the idea of: as few miles as necessary to get to the interesting stuff (and that is different for all of us). Having been canoe-campers and backpackers, you well know that you often find places along the way that are worth a stop that you didn't plan for.

To get a feel for it, book a few nights in a marina close to home and enjoy what the local area has to offer - you will see different sights and have a whole different experience when traveling by water.

When we cruised the Erie Canal in our boat, we used bicycles to explore some of the towns. When we went back to that area with our motorhome, and even going back to some of those same towns, the experience was completely different. You will meet people in marinas who can give you tips on restaurants or sights to see... stuff you won't necessarily find in a guide book.

Enjoy the trip. Don't put yourself on such a tight schedule that miss smelling some of those roses along the way. The miles covered are less important that the smiles you get from the experiences.
daninPA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback!

I agree that "making miles" is not the best way to travel (although for some stretches that's pretty much all there is!)

My interest in the St Lawrence from Montreal to Quebec is mostly historic and cultural -- my mother's entire family is from there (with the original settlers from France founding the village of St Jean on the Ile d'Orleans in 1662).

We've been to Quebec City many times, and I could probably be a tour guide there (yes, bilingual also). But it's a good suggestion to try living aboard a bit, especially given the proximity to everything from the Old Port, just steps away from the historic downtown, and one hill away from the lovely upper.

I'm a planner (by training, not by nature), and yet understand flexibility is key to truly enjoying an adventure!

We have not yet overnighted in our C-Dory, but that will be a priority once we get back on the water. Right now she's sitting indoors in unheated, yet protected storage at Edge Proving Grounds, while the batteries sit in the basement.

Smile
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danin!

Yes, you can do that in a CD22 with the right weather window and prep, including knowing how to negotiate ship traffic zones by VHF and AIS. Send/rec AIS is necessary at all times, radar is not in good weather.

If you can, consider adding Le Chateau Montebello (south of Montreal) on your cruise, it is a once in a lifetime 5 star amazing resort with a dinner you will talk about for the rest of your lives. 5 star pools and 5 star BBQ. And 5 star rooms. 5 star kiddie programs. Your wife will insist on returning. We bought $1,000 of E0 gas, or else the pumpout would have been $40 rather than the bargain $25. I’ve heard the marina is now run by the city with a nearby ramp, so you could make this a one-way segment. You could take the LaChene historic canal right through Montreal (8 ft air draft, free, 5 easy locks with floating docks), and exit back onto the river to Sorel without worrying about the horrid Seaway Locks. Get the Waterway Guide Great Lakes Vol 1. An old edition is OK since you can get updated marina info on their explorer online, but a paper spiral book is helpful for planning.

Don’t be scared of Locks. Colby said it best when he alleged that being excellent at docking means being excellent at locking, even when against adverse wind, tide and current. Get good at docking and you won’t have any problem locking (you’ll need three or four fenders per side at least twice the diameter of those in your Album, locking lines, gloves, and a pot line cutter knife in the cockpit with a HH VHF).

If you don’t have friends or family in Quebec City who will shuttle you back, use Rome2Rio.com to make this a one-way leg and avoid fighting the Mighty River upstream with its 1.1-3.3 MPH current (closer to 6 MPH at Montreal)… that trip back upriver is expensive and avoidable.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Sorel-Tracy/Quebec

Since you have never cruised overnight, we would suggest an easy trial cruise trailering to and launching at Pirates Cove marina near Clay, NY (C-Dories have stored rigs there over many years with no issues). Owners Pat and Patti will answer all questions. Explore the West Erie Canal to Macedon and take out there or go all the way to West Canal Park. Or skip every other town wall and visit them on an out and back to Pirates Cove. That cruise is immune to weather, waves, commercial traffic, ocean going ships, VSZ worries, or anchor dragging concerns. Pretty much a guaranteed Happy Family cruise in our experience compared to what the Chesapeake can do to your crew and your boat!

We just hate it when a family has a bad experience with weather, an anchoring disaster or other uncontrollable events that make the wife/partner never want to go boating with you again. Don’t ever let this happen to you and yours!

Our cruising style is still evolving after 22 years on the last two trailer boats. One constant ideal has been to make every 4th day a ‘weather/option’ day.

Hope this is helpful.

PM me if there is anything I can help you with.

John

daninPA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent advice! The idea of a shorter shakedown cruise before tackling this longer adventure makes sense.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a lot of the sightseeing at hull speed up a narrow or remote channel and then returning on plane retracing the incoming track on the MFD. I mark "iffy" spots with a MOB waypoint to remind me to be slow and careful on that section on the return. That opens up more off-the-track cruising.

I bought some inexpensive noise cancelling headphones (not the $250 Bose) for long sections on plane. They cut down on the irritating monotonous drone of the motor (sitting a few feet away on the CD 16), but still allow me to hear the VHF, whistle signals, wife, etc. The headphones get uncomfortable after a few hours, so I tend to cycle their use.

I could play music on them at the same time, but never have. Might be nice when at anchor. I've been at anchor when I wished others had headphones for their music.

https://www.amazon.com/INFURTURE-Cancelling-Headphones-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B0B879C5DS/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2NAWNBBQ9AZW7&keywords=noise%2Bcancelling%2Bheadphones&qid=1672160292&refinements=p_36%3A1253505011&rnid=386442011&s=electronics&sprefix=noise%2Bcancelling%2Bhead%2Caps%2C1181&sr=1-9&th=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: