journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, stop by Nootka, now shown on charts as Yuquot, even if just for a few hours. It was the only Northwest port for years. The Spanish started it, Capt Cook visited it and it was a main trading point. It's got a long pebbly beach and everything is down by the pier. There's also Bligh Island where Capt Cook repaired his ships. That's a good harbour in which to wait.

Just a suggestion, you're the captain.

Boris
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey on,

Tomorrow (Sunday) early, i will prove your prediction from yesterday (Friday) correct!

smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey on,

Tomorrow (Sunday) early, i will prove your prediction from yesterday (Friday) correct!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, I got back pretty late., but all safe and sound. I have been contemplating your question. Will have to give it a nights rest and do some more mulling tomorrow. I will be up and off again early Sunday. See you on the dock there tonight and will check track tomorrow PM.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, when we went from Hot Springs we took the back channels to Tofino; a great cruise. Plenty of places Watch the markers. Though this comment may be a day late.

When we made it up then down to Ucluelet, we explored Barkley Sound and found it fascinating, especially amongst the islands. We stayed at the municipal marina at Ucluelet. But even more interesting was the Port Albernie Yacht Club outpost, on Fleming Island, mentioned by hardee. There we found several boats/people who were circumnavigating Vancouver Island.

If I'm right next stop is Victoria, so take your time and see the sights.

Congratulations on making it this far in fine shape. We used Port Albernie as our starting point so didn't get to do the ride througe San Juad de Fuce Straights to Victoria. Again, congratulations and don't screw it up now.

Boris
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Sandy, when we went from Hot Springs we took the back channels to Tofino; a great cruise.

Yes, but if you go around the front of Flores Island you will see loads of humpbacks (that's why it is called Cow Bay). There are also seamounts offshore that just show some kelp. Fishing a buzz bomb guarantees 20 coho an hour (assuming the area is still open). Decisions, decisions. On the backside of Flores, be sure to stop at the Ahousat General Store. I wonder if the old-timer is still running it?

Reading this thread makes me anxious, especially now that the Black Ball Port Angeles to Victoria is back in operation. If I catch the first morning ferry, I can have lunch in Nanaimo and launch in Tofino in the afternoon. I could be back before my wife misses me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end may not be exactly in sight, but you can see the glow around the corner. Take your time, your are only going around once.

Sure sorry the hot pools aren't open. I would have based my whole trip on a couple of hour long soaks there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just the iffy-ish of cell connections. It comes and goes from 1 bar to no service. But I think I can just get this post off before I move on.

journey on wrote:
Sandy, when we went from Hot Springs we took the back channels to Tofino; a great cruise.

That's pretty much what I plan to do. I'm quite enjoying hanging around these little coves (no other boats so far) now that I don't feel the pressure of those future roundings weighing on my shoulders. Today, I will navigate thru Sulphur Passage and end up in West Whitepine Cove (if I ever getting my ass in gear.....I'm the type who loves to hangout in the mornings).

journey on wrote:
If I'm right next stop is Victoria, so take your time and see the sights.

More or less right. I will cruise Clayoquot Sound for the next few days (sunny weather predicted) ending up in Tofino. Looks like the winds outside will abate this weekend, so I might make a dash then, or if necessary just wait in Tofino. I mistakenly said last time that I might do the 100 miles from Tofino to Victoria; that was wrong. What I wanted to say is that I may do a 100 mile dash from Barkley Sound to Victoria. So once I leave Tofino, I will stop in Barkley Sound. I'm pretty sure I will do the dash after that unless I'm forced to seek shelter. In any case, I doubt I will be sightseeing much....after 7 weeks basically spending nearly every minute on this boat, with constant packing up most mornings, setting up the settee bed every night, etc, etc, I am really looking forward to getting home. This horse smells the barn!!

journey on wrote:
Congratulations on making it this far in fine shape.

Thanks. It certainly takes determination. I don't know about "fine shape", I have had some break downs, but nothing serious or truly dangerous. The secret, as you all know, is having the time to wait.

Marco Flamingo wrote:
Yes, but if you go around the front of Flores Island you will see loads of humpbacks

Yeah, I should be doing more of that kind of stuff, but for me, this trip has been all about circumnavigating the island, not sight seeing. I may never get back to these bays, so it's kind of a shame that I am not exploring more, but I'm OK with that. Frankly, I did not expect that my "focus on the goal" would dominate my being as much as it has, but c'est la vie. The main thing is that I did it.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, your circumnavigation is a pretty big accomplishment. It is worth being focused on, as focus helps ensure safety -- a worthy goal. Sightseeing is a byproduct of the trip. Worth doing but only if the goal is maintained.

You are doing great so far, and one of the few C-Dorys to round the big island on the left.

Take care and enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,
2 things. First, let's bring this post back up to the top. Next, when you reach internet again , hurry up and get to Barkley Sound. Don't want you rushing through, so much to see. ISLANDS in the north, Indian camps, yachting outposts and even Uclulet for a day. I will admit that where you are today is great, but there's more to come.

Boris
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have cell for a bit. Journey on, Sorry to disappoint you, but I've had it. I only care about one thing at this point....getting home as fast as I safely can. I'm tired of a portapotti, tired of setting up and tearing down the sette to sleep every night, tired of worrying about the conditions on the ocean, tired of a quickie shower every 3 days, tired of keeping the batteries charged....you get the idea. I've spent every night and morning on the boat for 8 weeks with ZERO breaks....this 77 year old is worn out 😉😃. Great trip though. VERY glad I did it. Also I figure I can come back to west VI as far north as Tofino (where I am now) from Anacortes another time. I can sight see then when that will be the point. I hope to leave here on Sunday and get to Victoria on Monday if the weather gods cooperate. Home by Wednesday.....but that's best case.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, you have done a great job on this trip. You have accomplished so much so far. Doing this journey alone and to be still safely afloat and in healthy condition is much to be proud of. I have learned much with your journey in following you on Garmin Inreach and have learned much about places I would like to explore myself someday circumventing Vancouver Island. Much thanks and appreciation to you for all of your efforts. Have a great time in the rest of your travel. You are almost home. Smile Stay safe! Gary
journey on

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,

God bless you. You made the trip I wanted to and anything you want to do is OK with me. My suggestions are only suggestions and you get to plan your own trip. It's been a great one.

It's a long haul to Victoria. Make sure your gas tank is topped off.

BTW, you're listed as having a 25. Our 25 has a marine toilet and a shower. Doesn't yours?

Again, a great trip.

Boris
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Porta Potty Reply with quote

Boris, I am the previous owner of Sandy's boat (Anna Leigh). I removed the macerator, hoses, toilet, converted the waste tank to a storage area, and put in a nice porta potty (nice being subjective) which is stored in the shower area or can be moved to the cockpit also. I was on the second macerator.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Sent from Tofino....a place I've learned to dislike)

Thanks David for explaining.

A story....when I looked a David's boat (I bought it in 2014), there was so much to love about it. David made many clever modifications that I still enjoy today. However, there was one thing I was not crazy about....he had removed the marine toilet and replaced it with a portapotti. I was used to sailboats, and this seemed a step backwards to me.

Well, after a year or so, I ended up totally agreeing with David's modification. Not only do marine toilets have messy breakdowns (as bugged David), but since in my local waters you have to have a holding tank pumped out, I think I would find them inconvenient. I like the fact that, if I've been gone a few days, I don't have to go to a marina for a pump out. I just go home (boat on trailer in its boathouse), and I easily remove the portapotti tank, and dump it in my septic system. And guess what....I've never had a pumping problem!!

Wish me luck, I start the last rough water legs tomorrow. Plan to get to Bamfield tomorrow, and then with luck (meaning how much planning I can do) Victoria on Monday. 150 miles total (and it's been a gale out there today)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: