The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Garmin auto pilot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Garmin auto pilot Reply with quote

I am looking into installing an autopilot to my boat, here is my current set up: seastar hydraulic steering (HC5370-3 with volume of 8.3 cu.in.) controlling twin engines (Honda 50HP). Last fall I installed a Garmin echomap ultra (106sv), also installed a Standard Horizon GX1850GPS but do not have the N2K network install yet, I will have to do that.

The Seastar is a unbalance systeme, the only compatible systeme from Garmin is the compact reactor 40 or the smart pump, the reactor 40 with the 1.2 or 2 L pump are not compatible with the unbalance steering. The smart pump is a bit outside of my budget so what appears to be the best fit for my application is the compact reactor 40 with the 1L pump.

I would like to hear from others that are using this system, how well it works, what are the issues, (side note, I do not intend to use it for fishing). Also would like to know what location was chosen for all the component.

I should be able to control everything directly from the chartplotter so my intent is to purchase it without any GHC unit and put the saving toward a future purchase of a remote control, let me know if this is not advise.

As always, Thanks for any and all input anyone can provide.

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the reactor 40 with the smart pump, and it is an excellent system. While you can hook your autopilot up to your chartplotter to follow tracks and routes, I probably drive my autopilot the majority of time from the GHC 20 control panel. I don't believe you can just select headings from your chartplotter. At least I've never figured out how.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I have the reactor 40 with the smart pump, and it is an excellent system. While you can hook your autopilot up to your chartplotter to follow tracks and routes, I probably drive my autopilot the majority of time from the GHC 20 control panel. I don't believe you can just select headings from your chartplotter. At least I've never figured out how.

Not sure what is meant here--but by putting in a waypoint, you should be able to tell the autopilot to go to the waypoint on the chart plotter.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, that is how I intend to use it, either just GO TO a way point and then take over or either create a new waypoint or have it follow a route. i also have the auto guidance feature on my chart plotter that is quite nice. I should be able the use the split screen between the autopilot and chart so I always have quick access the the autopilot control and view of the chart plotter. But this will be my first time having/using an autopilot ( I had a tiller pilot my sailboat) so would really appreciate feedback from other that are using that same systeme.
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, do you have the shadow drive? Do you use it much, any issues with it?
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the shadow drive when the autopilot was installed on Midnight Flyer, and it seemed to work as advertised. (Not that I cared for how it worked then; read on to see why.) However it never worked well on C-Traveler due to it's stiff steering. I left it disabled after that. And when I put all new hydraulic hoses in, I removed it. Here's the thing. It works when it senses high pressure or reverse pressure in the system, as when you go to turn the steering wheel against the A/P pump. It will put the A/P in standby until the boat is held on course for a very short time, and then re-engages the A/P, but in heading hold on the now current heading. (Ie, it does not return back to follow the course or track you had set in.) That was a feature I didn't really care for. I mean, if it's going to reengage, why not reengage to the route, track, or course you had it on before you took over the wheel in an emergency steering situation? Without the shadow drive, I've found I can still emergency steer around something right in front of me. Then either manually disengage the auto pilot, or let it return to what it was doing (maintaining a previous course, track, or heading.) I can continue to turn the wheel to overpower the autopilot, but until I manually put it in standby, it will simply try to return to it's previous course or heading. In no way does it overpower my steering inputs. It will try to return the boat to what you had the autopilot set on, but as long as you keep putting in steering inputs, you will overpower it. Colby
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Colby, great info. That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for, I'll be skipping the shadow drive as I will feel same as you did about it. In the installation manual for the compact reactor 40, they recommend installing a switch if the shadow drive is not part of the system, I don't know if that apply to the smart pump but it's probably an easy add on if you think it might be helpful for your application.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in my installation with the GHC 20 control head, where I can hit standby or turn the autopilot off, another switch would just be another switch... for that matter, I can also just reach down and turn off my NMEA 2000 system, which would shut the autopilot down as well. Mr. Green Colby
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a sec. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "GHC" unit? You can run an autopilot control unit from any chart plotter as far as I know, but you have to have a drive unit for the pump. Something to apply power to the pump, +.

Boris
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GHC is just the screen and control, The ECU is mounted elsewhere and receive info from either the GHC or chartplotter to control the pump. there's also a CCU with compass in it that is in a different unit. If you have a compatible chartplotter, you do not need the extra screen (GHC) to control the autopilot but then it is one more fonction that is taking screen space on your chartplotter. I can see some people not wanting to give up screen space on there chartplotter so they get a GHC unit, I think I fall in the other group that dont want more screen on the dashboard so I prefer going through the plotter for autopilot control, more or less the same.

At least that is how I understand this system, anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Wolfe is right. At least that's the way I understand it. Up to the point of using the chartplotter to control the auto pilot...The components on my autopilot are the Smart Drive hydrauilc pump, the reactor 40 CCU, which is the Course Computer unit, the ECU or Electronic Control Unit, and the GHC 20 which is the autopilot helm controller, or what I referred to as the control head. The CCU is the compass/brains of the a/p system, and is preferably mounted lower, forward, centerline of the boat. It's what determines your compass heading and rate of turn. I have mine mounted under the center dash, just above where you crawl into the V-Berth. It is overly sensitive to magnetic fields and I've caused a mapshift of as much as 30-40 degrees just by sitting my sunglasses up there. (My Chartplotter is set to use the CCU for it's heading sensor. When it's not available, it reverts to it's own GPS.) The ECU powers the drive, and is attached to the end of the smart pump. (Perhaps same set up for the smaller pumps as well.) The GHC is basically a control screen for you to direct your autopilot what to do. It shows the current course or heading you've set, you can use it to change heading, etc. The GHC 20 also allows you to put in different fishing patterns, run backwards, turn a circle, etc.) Garmin mentions using able chartplotters to drive the autopilot, but I have never used that feature, other than to connect my autopilot to a selected track or course. I have no idea how to even turn the autopilot off or put it in standby without the GHC 20. Something I would like to know how to do, but just haven't had the need to I guess. Colby
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garmin Reactor 40 AP on the C-Otter. Love it. Mine in coupled to a 2010 Garmin 4208 chart plotter...... if you have one of Garmin’s newer chart plotters they will allow you to do everything that the GHC 20 does. However it’s still nice to have the GHC 20 as you have all the AP controls right in front of you all the time. I do use the shadow drive and it’s nice to have but with the GHC 20 not really needed.

You may want to contact Garmin and see what they recommend for the chart plotter you have. The AP with the GHC 20 will work without a chart plotter in a heading mode.

Doing the Loop now on a Californian 45 that belongs to a friend. The AP only has heading mode but that’s good enough for this trip. Would hate to hand steer the whole 6000 miles.

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
ChrisMcBride

City/Region: Shoreline
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Lil Teal
Photos: Lil Teal
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Garmin Reactor 40 AP with the 1.2L pump earlier this year and networked it to my chart plotter. So far I've used it for over 2,500 miles and absolutely love it.

I typically use the chartplotter's auto-guidance feature to create the initial route and then use the GHC 20 to adjust the route as needed. I also use the GHC 20 heading hold quite frequently to keep a straight heading.

I debated saving a bit of money and not getting the GHC 20. I'm glad I spent extra for it. Having dedicated standby and course adjustment buttons makes it easier to control when in a hurry and is a lot easier for my wife and kids to use/understand when they're at the helm.

The kit I purchased also came with the shadow drive, even though I had decided I didn't want it. The only connections that leaked when I installed the system was on the shadow drive. I never could get it to not leak, so I took it out. From what I read, lots of others have also had leaking problems.

I installed the pump and ECU in the v-berth compartment on the starboard side (think right in front of the captains feet when seated). I put the CCU on the port side, directly below the feet of the forward seat.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 22 I also put the pump and ECU under the V-berth in front of the helm bulkhead, and the CCU under the center dash. When I moved it to the 25 I placed the pump and ECU under the sink area in front of the head bulkhead, and again placed the CCU under the center dash.
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the same package as Lil Teal in the starboard Vberth dugout. Only difference is the CCU is mounted under the helm on the Vberth side of the bulkhead. The shadow drive is installed but in hindsight not worth it. I did a lot of comparing notes with Colby doing the install (thanks Colby).

We just returned to ID after a month on Prince William Sound and really enjoyed the luxury of autopilot. Since home I installed a new Garmin GPSMap 743xsv that the autopilot will link to so am looking forward to that. I agree that the GHC 20 will be useful even though the autopilot can be controlled from the new plotter. Good luck on the install. Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: