State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Foggy posted
"On a sail from Newport to St Maarten, via Bermuda, I met a guy who sailed a Catalina 22 around the world, twice. Impressive, but not for just anybody. "

Now, I've owned a Catalina 22 for many years, OK 10 years. And it went to many places in California and Mexico. Foggy, sorry but I don't believe that anyone sailed a Cat 22 around the world. It's not built for that, it was an entry boat and it would have come apart in the Pacific Ocean. I would assume the guy was boasting and picked the most improbable subject.

Now, I took a Catalina 36 to Tahiti, among other places and it did quite well. Someone, I believe, took a Catalina 27 around the world years ago. I feel Catalina builds good boats, but each has a purpose, and the 22 was an entry boat, the first boat Butler built.

Sorry Foggy, but you can tell that guy he was full of bull. And my comment is unrelated to this thread, obviously. Just been thinking about it for a couple of days.

Boris

Boris,
You are (partially) correct. The person I spoke of is Patrick Childress who authored
"The Cruising Guide to Narragansett Bay". I met him, a captain of a different Swan 50
from the one I was on in a fleet sail from Newport to St Maarten. I did err in some
details in my excited claim to have met someone really famous ('Cool')
It was a Catalina 27, not a 22 and the second circumnavigation was on a Valiant
40 with his wife. My bad. Thanks for calling me out on this as those extra 5'
don't mean much more than a detail to us but I'm sure Patrick appreciated every
inch. After all, it is important to get these things right. No bull.
https://www.cruisingworld.com/some-major-changes-second-time-around/

Aye.

crowleykirk

City/Region: Friday Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Life
Photos: C-Life
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: NOT for rough water Reply with quote

There is not one single C-Dory that is designed for rough water. If you need that then look at the Sea Sport line. We had a new C23 Venture. Was a great boat but once we moved to bigger water forget about it.

No matter what anyone says.... a C-Dory is NOT designed for open ocean and big waves and swells.

Can it do it.... up to a point. Like many have said, they can handle more than any of us. Does that mean it's safe of should be done. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!

I think the issue here becomes I bought a cheaper boat that's not really made for what I want to do but I'll do it anyway.

We hated our 23 in chop over 2 feet with swell. Add in a mixed swell and it was absolutely terrible. So, we sold her. Not the right vessel for us.

Yes, I did like the C-Dory. The build quality is great as is NMI. We had lots of custom features and for buzzing around the San Juans in decent weather is was great.

Moved it to SoCal and it was a major no go unless the water was pretty tame. Headed to Catalina on a good day but crappy coming back. That is when we said nope, never again. We bounced around like a cork. It did handle it but it was major white knuckle.

Now in all fairness I'm used to much larger trawler style boats.
Which is what we are going back too.

This debate just gets old. It really comes down to buying the right boat. But if we don't have the funds for the right boat we tend to settle and then justify our purchase to everyone else.

We learned our lesson. I still really like the 26 and the Tomcat.
And if we were back up in the San Juans, we used to have a place up there I'd look seriously again at C-Dory.

Now someone will send me a pic of a C-Dory jumping a wave.. and here we go again. IT IS NOT A ROUGH WATER VESSELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one?

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said something like this before, "For a boat on the water, length is ride."

Now, I'll add the following caveats to the above: .... up to a point. As with most
vessels, there are tolerance limits to the vessel and the occupant(s). The boat can
usually withstand more than the occupant(s) regarding savage seas.

Your definition of "savage seas" will also vary.

Aye.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I noted in the other posting by crowleykirk If you want smooth water going to Catalina arrive there before 11AM. Same for returning to the mainland. A lot has to do with the ability to trim the boat and experience in different types of boats.

No one pretends the C Dory is a "rough water vessel". Yes everyone who is considering buying one, needs to ride in one, preferably by an owner who is skilled in various types of seas.

I have run C Dorys in heavy weather conditions--considerably rougher than coming back from Catalina on average afternoon. One case was down Johnston Straits with 30 to be 40 knots of wind against ebbing current. Seas were steep and breaking--no "wave jumping". No other boat was moving, even 65 footers. It was a bit of "work"--but never unsafe.

When running a vessel in rough conditions, especially downwind/seas, working the throttle is as important as steering. This is the reason that offshore racing powerboats have a dedicated helmsman and dedicated throttle man.

Conversely I have run sailboats, sport fishers and "trawlers" coming back from Catalina in the afternoons when they were a handful.

What was the motivation to bring up a 2022 thread, just to claim C Dorys "are not rough water boats?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, the CD22 & the the slightly larger 25/26 weren’t specifically designed for big wave, rough sea use, but from my own experience of 21 seasons & 26,000 miles of cruising our CD22 it has done exceedingly well in rough sea conditions & these, I’ve documented in the Grand Adventure Forum. In SE Alaska, the small C-Dory boats have an extremely good reputation for sea worthiness & of the very small boats, the most often seen far from marinas. The Sea Sport is a better off shore boat, but in my many thousands of miles cruising & exploring in the more isolated areas of SE Alaska including the out side waters of Yakobi, Chichagof & Baranof islands, I’ve only seen them relatively close to the main population centers & used for fishing not cruising.

The CD22 purchase for us was definitely not as Kirk stated “issue here becomes I bought a cheaper boat that's not really made for what I want to do but I'll do it anyway” after 20 years waiting & knowing exactly how we wanted to use a boat, the CD22 fit for some off shore Alaska cruising along with much trailering between use on rivers, lakes & ocean. The boats, that are better in differing degrees on the rough outside waters don’t do so well on the rivers, shallow lake areas & exploring the near tidal & tidal areas of the ocean. No cruising boat is perfect in all of these areas, but I’ve found our little CD22 does all of them well enough to have given us many grand boating adventures.

Our boating in a little boat in a big ocean has been safe enough for us to have no regrets & without some risk show me the adventure.

Jay

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps more significant than boat length to safety and comfort of vessel
occupants and keeping structural integrity of the vessel is the proficiency,
experience and competence of the helmsman, especially in challenging sea
conditions.

The two posters above represent examples of such.

Aye.
Grandpa, an old Navy man, used to say, "The sea simply waits to take the
innocent. Conversely, it actually stalks the unprepared, the foolish and the
arrogant."
primative

City/Region: Portland
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Primative
Photos: Primative
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: 25/26 vs 22 in rough waters Reply with quote

Fourteen years ago while working with a shipwright on my boat, he made a recommendation for a bilge pump addition.

He said he would mount a larger pump, ie. Rule 4000 next to the existing aft 2000 pump. My recollection is it would be mounted higher so it would only run in the situation of taking on more water and help get it out more quickly. I didn't do the installation, but from what I have read on this thread it sounds like a good idea.

I have not taken measurements for fit, and also whether it will allow continued sweet fit on my boat for a cooler, or 35 liter Dometic. Perhaps next winters project if the cooler/Dometic fits. A smaller pump might be an option too.

kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 25/26 vs 22 in rough waters Reply with quote

C-Slug wrote:
Hi,
I have tried to search this topic and found some great stuff but wanted to get deeper into my specifics. Here goes!
I have had a C-Dory 22 for about 5 years now and I love it and am very fortunate for it. I love it's fuel economy and simplicity. I also appreciate its seaworthiness. This is my first boat.
Typically we will take her out in good weather, but here in the Santa Barbara Channel, you never really know what you're going to get. Wind directions change, fog comes up quick, swell builds, etc. It's a wild place. A few times now I've had conditions change quickly for the worse and although it's never been too scary I do wonder if a slightly bigger hull would make it safer. A self-bailing hull with some deadrise, I would think, might help too.
Anyone with experience taking a 22 vs. 25 or 26 out in rough conditions? How do they compare?
Thank you!
Crawford

I have had my 25 in rough conditions off the west coast of vancouver island. I also commercial fished a couple of summers in a 40 foot double ender and have fished on a Grady White 282, 330 and Boston Whaler 285 all off the west coast. The expression there is no replacement for displacement is meant for engines but the same can be said for boats. The extra weight of the increased beam, fuel etc of a bigger boat is sure helpful in dealing with big waves. My friend recounts one trip as school buses coming at us from all directions. Some people slam Sea Sports for being terrible in rough water and I’ve had a Sea Sport owner slammed c-dory’s. Proper loading and weight distribution and operation of a boat is crucial in my opinion. The 25 is a great balance of trailerability safety and weight. The 26 likely even better.

This morning started out rough and would have been nicer in my friends 330 with a sea keeper but lets be honest we choose c-dory for all the compromises !
https://youtu.be/7Q1Jp3qiiEE?si=HFEtvOr0dG9Ecou9

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
Those actual GPH numbers are why I have a 2000 GPH pump with smooth wall hose in my CD 16. I figure that gets me a realistic 600 GPH, about the same rate I could do with a bucket (probably not for an hour). For a serious wave over the stern, GPH likely won't help. I would have to rely on PFD and DSC.

I installed an additional pump under the motor well. It was not for the case of possibly being pooped, as that’s so unlikely to happen that it’s not a concern to me & if in the extreme rare case it does happen, then I agree with Marco, it’s not going to make much difference in outcome. My reason for the additional pump was the original is located under the bulkhead on the starboard side separating the cabin from the cockpit & normally with our extra weight in the cockpit, the water from rain & sometimes spray would collect more under the motor well between the fuel tanks & require hand pumping to remove. We’ve had green water over the cabin coming from the bow several times with very little water ending up in the cockpit. Most water getting into the cockpit, while underway came from chop & wind spray when quartering or running parallel with the waves. Even in big swells it was the chop on top & wind spray that got into the cockpit & it was easily handled by a single low volume pump. Even when loading the boat on a trailer in an unprotected place from stern wind chop & while maneuvering, reversing into chop, we’ve never had the water go past the motor well & into the cockpit, though these to me are the most likely events to cause it other than anchoring with the rode tied to the stern.

One of the reasons, I went with increased power when repowering was due to the times, we, who often cruise very heavy, couldn’t position the boat on swells, where we desired, because the swells were moving faster then we could, but even then, the boat would always ride smooth with no indication of wanting to broach coming down the face of the wave as it passed under us & the stern raise in time with the small breaks on top. Now with the extra power, even in fast moving swells, boat positioning, where needed if caught in bigger seas, can be done. The big standing waves when running with an ebb tide into swell & wind, large waves coming from all directions, (washing machine) & large breaking waves in the open ocean just need to be avoided in our C-Dory boats as at some point in these kind of increasingly rough sea conditions, no amount of experience or pump volume will help. The difficulty for most new C-Dory owners is learning the degree of sea conditions that go from totally smooth & safe to uncomfortable to actually dangerous. I started out with our CD22, 21 seasons ago with virtually no experience in a boat that size, by early in the first season, we were exploring large uncharted lakes in the Yukon & British Columbia, the Yukon River & our first trip to SE Alaska. This was before C-Brat membership & other friendships with boating enthusiast, so basically read cruising guides on the PNW & then learned from the many mistakes we made. Fortunately for us & others who chose it as there first cruising boat, the C-Dory boats & especially the CD22 are comparatively very forgiving to those who lack experience. Other than the forgiving nature of the CD22, keeping calm during bad situations & our prior experience on rivers & big lakes like Yellowstone Lake & large Canadian lakes in a small motor powered canoe & rubber inflatable were the most helpful in keeping us out of trouble, we couldn’t overcome, during the CD22 learning curve. There is much similarity between the handling of a 17 foot square stern canoe with a 3 hp motor on a large lake, like Yellowstone Lake with its varying surface conditions & a CD22 on the ocean.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: