The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mystery black gunk in cockpit: Filthy bilge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbbernard

City/Region: Wakefield
State or Province: RI
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA STORY
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Mystery black gunk in cockpit: Filthy bilge? Reply with quote

When I bought my 22, it had been neglected by a previous owner with unfortunate health problems who let it sit on a trailer in his marshy backyard. The boat was filthy, inside and out. In addition to deep, deep cleaning, I've done a ton of repairs, refits, and renos. The boat runs great and I use it often.

Last week I got caught in some rough seas a few miles offshore and took a bit of a beating running back to the marina. Nothing scary, but the boat got tossed around a lot more than it had. When I pulled into my slip, I noticed the cockpit sole was littered in a blackish gunk. Not sure what else to call it or how else to describe it. The water pooled in the bilge between fuel tanks was filled with it, too, and when I lifted the floorboards there was a ton of it there as well.

My best guess is that the bilge was lined with this caked on crap, and this trip just finally shook it loose. So, three questions:

* I thought the bilge ended at the little well just inside the cabin door, where my second pump is—does it extend further forward, under the cabin floor?

* If so, what's a good way to clean this out (other than rough seas)?

* If not, is my assumption about what this gunk was wrong?

Thanks!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These boats can accumulate mold and other gunk in places that are not readily visible. Typical places include under the splashwell above and behind the fuel tanks, under the gunwales, and if your boat has them on the top of the side bin liners (way up under the gunwales).

I took the side bins out of my boat to run some wiring a couple of years ago, and the whole area behind them was pretty black.

These areas are not usually visible and difficult to clean properly so they likely don't get any attention very often (if at all).
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Valhalla
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had clean up a bunch of gunk from under my fuel tank with a garden hose and good pressure last year, when I redid all my fuel line this spring, I remove my fuel tank to clean better under the splash well and there was still a good amount of build up gunk under/behind them. My bet is that is what you are experiencing.

with the tank near empt and the strap loosen a bit, you should be able the run water under the tank to reduce the amount of build up there. work best on the trailer with the bow lifted as high as possible and the plug remove.

No Name; Bayliner explorer 26 2012-2015
sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
cbbernard

City/Region: Wakefield
State or Province: RI
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SEA STORY
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. Sounds like I have nothing to be worried about but I have some more detailed cleaning in my future.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best product for getting mold pollen and other junk off your boat is 30 second cleaner. You can get it at home depot and other places. I use it in a garden pump up sprayer. Just stick the hose behing every nock and cranny and spray it good. Wait a few minutes and then just hose it off or scrub it down then hose off. It really releases the dirt so it cleans up well. I use it on the boats cars and the house siding. Sound simple and to good to be true but it really works. In the sinter and sprind we get both mold and pollen. The pollen gets moist and just binds to every thing. Hard to get off with soap and a brush of of car paint and the house siding. I use 30 second cleaner and it just hoses off the house and car . Around the car widows rubber seals you may need a brush.
\

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: