The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

My hotwater heater
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: My hotwater heater Reply with quote

I've noticed that my hot water heater sometimes makes the reverse polarity light come on when on shore power but it still heats and works fine.....AND doesn't affect the other shore power connections (fridge, outlets, battery charger etc).

BUT today when I used my Honda EU2000i and connected my shore power to it, I noticed the generator really "surged" and "sounded weird" when I turned on the hot water heater from the electrical panel. As soon as I heard the genny "surging" I turned off the hot water heater.

What's the deal?? Do those heaters require a significantly higher amount of juice? Or is there something going on with my system? Buss system?

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the hot water heater isn't the most complex instrument, just a restive element across the line. I'd check the wiring to the hot water heater. Specifically the ground. And you might make sure that the heater has the correct polarity if it's been doing it for a long time. Check for loose connections as well.

If you've used the Honda before i assume it hasn't offered up those symptoms. The 1500 watts of the heater is right at the top of the Honda's capability which, I believe is 1600 watts. If anything else was running, might have pushed it up to the limit. But still check the wiring.

If the wiring checks out OK, you can get a new heater element from Defender. Just a thought. Usually heaters work or not. They're really simple.

Boris
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Well, the hot water heater isn't the most complex instrument, just a restive element across the line. I'd check the wiring to the hot water heater. Specifically the ground. And you might make sure that the heater has the correct polarity if it's been doing it for a long time. Check for loose connections as well.

If you've used the Honda before i assume it hasn't offered up those symptoms. The 1500 watts of the heater is right at the top of the Honda's capability which, I believe is 1600 watts. If anything else was running, might have pushed it up to the limit. But still check the wiring.

If the wiring checks out OK, you can get a new heater element from Defender. Just a thought. Usually heaters work or not. They're really simple.

Boris

Boris: Yes, I initially had everything running on the panel. But even when I turned everything off EXCEPT the heater it still was too much I think. Hmm, interesting. I thought the EU2000i could handle all the shore power duties, that's why I bought it.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:

Boris

Boris: Yes, I initially had everything running on the panel. But even when I turned everything off EXCEPT the heater it still was too much I think. Hmm, interesting. I thought the EU2000i could handle all the shore power duties, that's why I bought it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some water heaters are 1200 watts, some 1500 watts--either way, that is a bunch of power--and as Boris says, close to the max output of the EU 2000. Depends on what else you have one--the battery charger could put it over the limit.

The Honda will often cause the reverse polarity light to flicker on, since it has a "floating ground".

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honda EU2000 is a great unit but has its limits. As Bob and Boris pointed out. I run everything but the hot water heater at one time. For me that's the charger, refrigerator, 5000 BTU AC and a computer. I don't have a microwave. When I want hot water I turn the everything off and flip the switch for the water heater. Yep if you have it on the idle setting it spins up. You'll know when the water is hot....the Honda gets quiet in 30 to 40 minutes or so. Just flip off the heater breaker and flip on the others. We may do this once or twice a day.or not at all if we are in water conservation mode. My wife can easily make 24 gallons last a week or more if fresh water is hard to get. Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this is a little off topic but questioned came to me. I don't have a boat with shore power so please understand. If you are running the water heater off of the generator, any reason you can't run all your DC "stuff" at the same time?

Thanks
Jake
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avidmagnum12 wrote:
The Honda EU2000 is a great unit but has its limits. As Bob and Boris pointed out. I run everything but the hot water heater at one time. For me that's the charger, refrigerator, 5000 BTU AC and a computer. I don't have a microwave. When I want hot water I turn the everything off and flip the switch for the water heater. Yep if you have it on the idle setting it spins up. You'll know when the water is hot....the Honda gets quiet in 30 to 40 minutes or so. Just flip off the heater breaker and flip on the others. We may do this once or twice a day.or not at all if we are in water conservation mode. My wife can easily make 24 gallons last a week or more if fresh water is hard to get. Tom

Thanks, I'll be doing the same I guess! I never knew the heater used so much power. I would've guessed the AC or the fridge were more.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
Sorry this is a little off topic but questioned came to me. I don't have a boat with shore power so please understand. If you are running the water heater off of the generator, any reason you can't run all your DC "stuff" at the same time?

Thanks
Jake

I'm not sure I totally understand your question. But yes, I can run all the DC stuff at the same time.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:

Thanks
Jake

Jake, not really off topic. Theoretically the DC items should not put any more draw onto the 110 V AC system powered by the generator. If you have the battery charger turned on, it will attempt to charge the batteries as you use the DC appliances, lights etc. This will increase the AC draw. On of the problems with the small Guest chargers which come with the boat, is that they are not made to function as a "converter" (Most RV's have converters, which put out 30 to 80 amps 12 V DC, to power DC appliances, when plugged into AC mains outlets, and preserve the battery power.) The 5 amp to 10 amp charging circuit tends to heat up in the Guest chargers, when used constantly--and this is probably what lead to failures. The higher output marine chargers, have cooling fans, and circuits to monitor the heat, and cut back power output if necessary...

So if you left the battery charger off-- theoretically the DC appliances would power off the battery. Problem is that the refrigerators in the boats, have a preference for 110V AC, and if presented both 110 VAC and 12V DC power, the circuit will go to the AC power. --thus the refer will be running off AC, unless you unplug it from the mains power.
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most heating elements are available in a wide power range and it is pretty easy to change them out. You could drop down to a 1000w element and your EU 2000 will purr like a kitten. The water would still get just as hot, it would just take longer.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the heating element in the water heater to a 240 VDC element. At 120 VDC, this draws ~400 watts, well within the capability of a Honda 1000. But, it takes 4 times as long to heat up. Costing $27, it was cheaper than a new Honda 2000.

Defender has them , Model No. 74032 = 240 Volts AC, $26.95. Works great. Defender also has sacrificial anodes for Seaward heaters, Model No.
74556, $23. Ever replaced yours? I've replaced the complete heater (on another boat) when it rotted out, so the anode is cheaper.

Judy can only get 5 days out of the 23 gal water tank on the 25. I'll speak to her about that.

Boris
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Honda 2000i generator will generally run in "eco-mode" - only spooling up when there is more of a current draw. Your water heater is a big current draw, thus the reason the generator gets louder. We have found with 30 amp, we try to generally run one major draw at a time... your Honda generator is rated at 18 amps; you are pretty much going to be limited to one major draw at a time. Things like a microwave, hair dryer, and coffee maker will likely draw less than the water heater.

Getting the reverse polarity is normal when using the generator - it is a function of the ground, and won't cause your electronics a problem.

Nice to have the available power and the amenities - a 25 equipped with a Honda (or similar) generator is a great way to go. If we were going to be where fresh water wasn't easily available (as in cruising in some parts of Canada), we could make the fresh water go a long ways, usually 5 days or so. And carried a couple of 5 gallon containers as back-up. You can get very conservative by using dish water to flush the toilet. Quick rinse in the shower, water off, soap up everything that needs soaping up, then another quick rinse. The sprayer that comes standard in the 25 encourages conservation. Don't let water run while you wait for the hot water to get through the lines. I would shave in a cup of water; figured 1 to 2 gallons at most to shower, usually less. Solar showers where it would work, and you can run the line in through the head window if you need the privacy.

Cruising in a small boat isn't always about the luxury, but about being as comfortable as the situation allows. And sometimes that means not running the generator (thus, the solar shower).
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are adapters available (search online) that solve the reverse polarity issue when using portable generators in situations like our boats. I believe that this is caused by not having a good earth ground. It doesn't happen in all boats.

In my boat, a reverse polarity detection will cause the external power to shut off. I haven't had issues with reverse polarity from my Honda generator. I sometimes get one when using external AC and the cabin door slams shut. Time for a Smart Plug I think.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Your Honda 2000i generator will generally run in "eco-mode" - only spooling up when there is more of a current draw. Your water heater is a big current draw, thus the reason the generator gets louder.

This.

You got very good advice above, however I think all is well. I'd be shocked if your eu2000 did anything besides raise its RPM when the hot water heater came on. If the protection circuitry continued to be happy when the engine revved just enjoy your shower!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: