C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutski wrote:
ssobol wrote:
mutski wrote:
Any thoughts on this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Mariner-4-Person-Inflatable-Aluminum/dp/B00CMBTCHW/?tag=bsafe06-20&th=1

Reviews say it's durable, has inflatable keel, comes in three- and four-person sizes - 9'9"x 4'2", 77 lbs or 10'9"x 4'9", 91 lbs

I have the 3 person Intex dinghy. It is a better product than you might think. The material is PVC and reasonably tough. Mine has the inflatable floor (but not a V bottom). Still, it rows pretty well. The 77# seems a bit high. Might be the shipping weight. I think mine weighs less that 50# when in use. Getting it on top of the cabin is a bit of an effort, more from the size than the weight.

I've had more than 500# of people in my 3 place Intex without any issues.

Yes, if I was out in the wilds and really HAD to rely on a dinghy I'd have gotten something else. However, in my case, for infrequent use more for fun than anything, the Intex dinghy works just fine. Mine is 9 years old and is still in excellent condition. No repairs have been needed.

FWIW, there are lots of videos online of people who trick out the Intex inflatables for fishing. Some people can get pretty carried away, but the boats seem to do the job.

A couple of months ago I got a Bote Aero Deus. It is an inflatable kayak/SUP. I haven't tried using it from my C-Dory yet. It is a more "real" boat than the Intex, but then it cost about 9 times what the Intex 3 cost me. Time will tell if the Bote is any better than the Intex in actual practice.

The Intex is likely better for transferring people and supplies from ship to shore. It is wider and more stable. The Bote seems better for solo use (although you can probably carry some stuff on it).

The Intex boats have molded plastic rod holders for fishing. If you aren't going to use them, I suggest cutting them off (I removed mine). These holders get in the way when storing the dinghy inverted on the cabin roof.

Thanks for the detailed report! I had in mind to use it for ship-to-shore in side bays around Kachemak Bay, Alaska, where there could be wind but not likely big waves. Sound plausible?

I wonder if you could get the little electric motor and make a 12V lithium ion pack to avoid the heavy lead-acid battery. Like an electric bicycle battery pack.

They do make a motor mount and there are mounting points on the dinghy. It is meant for a 2-3 hp (or equivalent thrust). I thought about getting a mount and a motor, but for what I use the dinghy for, rowing it has worked out fine (plus it is good exercise). But I don't row it for long distances (less than 1/4 mile) or in very adverse conditions.

But as pointed out, the Intex can be sailed and you can get a cabin (or dodger) for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdE9E2viDsc

If you want to set it up as a life raft, you may not need to row it anywhere. Get a PLB and a sea drogue and let them come to you. The cabin might be useful to have in that case.

If you just want a fun boat to mess around with, the Intex will certainly work. At the cost, if something bad happens to it, you are not out a lot of money. Like any other boat, there are times when the conditions will be fine for using it and times when they are not. Same thing can be said about any boat, including your C-Dory.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutski wrote:
I was looking at the Sea Eagle kayaks. How are they for stability when you climb off the C-Dory to get in.

Excellent! That is what sold us. We tried one at a CBGT. We can step over the gunwale to get in or out standing up. We have 5,328 miles experience on the Great Loop, and we speak from experience!

Also Baxter-approved!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! That is what sold us. We tried one at a CBGT. We can step over the gunwale to get in or out standing up. We have 5,328 miles experience on the Great Loop, and we speak from experience!

Also Baxter-approved!

Corretion - 5,428 miles!
mutski

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Just Us
Photos: Just Us
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago when I worked for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, we picked up a guy on a jet ski about 25 miles offshore in lower Cook Inlet. His motor had quit, end of party.
mutski

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ssobol"][quote="mutski"]
ssobol wrote:

They do make a motor mount and there are mounting points on the dinghy. It is meant for a 2-3 hp (or equivalent thrust). I thought about getting a mount and a motor, but for what I use the dinghy for, rowing it has worked out fine (plus it is good exercise). But I don't row it for long distances (less than 1/4 mile) or in very adverse conditions.

But as pointed out, the Intex can be sailed and you can get a cabin (or dodger) for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdE9E2viDsc

If you want to set it up as a life raft, you may not need to row it anywhere. Get a PLB and a sea drogue and let them come to you. The cabin might be useful to have in that case.

If you just want a fun boat to mess around with, the Intex will certainly work. At the cost, if something bad happens to it, you are not out a lot of money. Like any other boat, there are times when the conditions will be fine for using it and times when they are not. Same thing can be said about any boat, including your C-Dory.

I'm not thinking life raft nor ocean sailer. I just want to commute to shore where I don't want the C-Dory to go dry, e.g. too many rocks. In small bays and fjords on the south side of Kachemak Bay. There could be wind, but not big waves and if it's too windy, I can wait. I'm hoping not to spend $3000. Sigh. Just another hole in the water.
mutski

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an impulse moment, I ordered the Intek 3-person raft with no motor. I hope it rows well enough to be useful. I will try it in the local reservoir before I brave the ocean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: