View previous topic :: View next topic  
mutski

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Just Us
Photos: Just Us
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:35 am    Post subject: Good inflatable dinghy? Reply with quote

Who knows a handy inflatable dinghy to fit on the 22 Cruiser? How do you anchor and get to shore?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Good inflatable dinghy? Reply with quote

mutski wrote:
Who knows a handy inflatable dinghy to fit on the 22 Cruiser? How do you anchor and get to shore?

The C-Dory has such shallow draft, that often you can just get out and walk.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of option on the market and everyone has a different brand and preference. WE have found that a good inflatable with a air floor and a blowup keel rows the best and does not require a motor for short trips to shore.

We like to drop the hook or grab a buoy then paddle to shore for walking the dog or going for a walk in port. If you want to explore more while on anchor and have no pets I would go with kayaks. We often carry two 10 ft old town loons on top. Much faster and more fun for poking around the islands and wildlife watching. Getting in and out of the boat to a kayak can be fun but its never been dangerous for us and I am no ballerina.

As far as getting a dinghy on and off the boat I just stand on the bow or the roof and pull the boat up by a rope to the bow of the dinghy until its standing on its stern then pull it up half way across the roof before tilting it down flat and swinging it around to go between the radar arch uprights.. its easier to do then explain.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also agree that an air floor and inflatable keel is easiest to row or use with a motor. We have used both the Suzuki 2.5 hp 4 stroke engine and the Torqeedo 3 hp electric motor.

Since we are elderly, we use a Garhauer davit to hoist the dinghy onto the to of a cabin. See my photo album with a specific page on the davit toward the end of the album photos.

For a "doughnut type of dinghy the Alaskan seems to be the tuffet.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
mutski

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The davit looks slick, Thataway! It looks like you have put an impressive amount of work into your C-Dory. It's a sharp boat!

Thanks all for the input! I'm still pondering. My original idea was to just run it up on the beach and let it go dry, but now I'm pondering the scrapes to the bottom. Our previous dory was wooden. I understood the material better and didn't worry too hard about putting it ashore. We also used to balance an anchor on the bow with a rope tied to its foot, push the boat off, then pull the anchor overboard when it had drifted a ways offshore.
mutski

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Mariner-4-Person-Inflatable-Aluminum/dp/B00CMBTCHW/?tag=bsafe06-20&th=1

Reviews say it's durable, has inflatable keel, comes in three- and four-person sizes - 9'9"x 4'2", 77 lbs or 10'9"x 4'9", 91 lbs
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

77 pounds or more vs 47 on a CD22?

We think you should ask why EACH of the three boats now doing the SE Alaska cruise why ALL of them have Saturn KaBoats (full disclosure, we bought the 12 foot model off Calm-C used once).

Just food for thought.

https://saturnrafts.com/12-saturn-kaboat-en.html

Happy Hunting!

John

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutski wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Mariner-4-Person-Inflatable-Aluminum/dp/B00CMBTCHW/?tag=bsafe06-20&th=1

Reviews say it's durable, has inflatable keel, comes in three- and four-person sizes - 9'9"x 4'2", 77 lbs or 10'9"x 4'9", 91 lbs

The ad says "vinyl material", without mentioning a scrim or what type of vinyl it is. My son bought a Costco inexpensive inflatable, for around the harbor in Dana Point. After 3 or 4 years it's seams are giving out and he is going to buy another one. ($100 a year, OK,,). My son also has an Avon Hypalon Boat which is the real dinghy--it is older, but still in good shape.

I suspect if you bought that inflatable on Amazon, it would be OK if you kept it in a cool place and clean between uses. But..using a motor on that. boat would be difficult. The inflatable keel we refer to, gives a "V" to the bottom so it planes well with the higher HP motor.
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutski wrote:

I have the 3 person Intex dinghy. It is a better product than you might think. The material is PVC and reasonably tough. Mine has the inflatable floor (but not a V bottom). Still, it rows pretty well. The 77# seems a bit high. Might be the shipping weight. I think mine weighs less that 50# when in use. Getting it on top of the cabin is a bit of an effort, more from the size than the weight.

I've had more than 500# of people in my 3 place Intex without any issues.

Yes, if I was out in the wilds and really HAD to rely on a dinghy I'd have gotten something else. However, in my case, for infrequent use more for fun than anything, the Intex dinghy works just fine. Mine is 9 years old and is still in excellent condition. No repairs have been needed.

FWIW, there are lots of videos online of people who trick out the Intex inflatables for fishing. Some people can get pretty carried away, but the boats seem to do the job.

A couple of months ago I got a Bote Aero Deus. It is an inflatable kayak/SUP. I haven't tried using it from my C-Dory yet. It is a more "real" boat than the Intex, but then it cost about 9 times what the Intex 3 cost me. Time will tell if the Bote is any better than the Intex in actual practice.

The Intex is likely better for transferring people and supplies from ship to shore. It is wider and more stable. The Bote seems better for solo use (although you can probably carry some stuff on it).

The Intex boats have molded plastic rod holders for fishing. If you aren't going to use them, I suggest cutting them off (I removed mine). These holders get in the way when storing the dinghy inverted on the cabin roof.
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutski wrote:

I have the 3 person Intex dinghy. It is a better product than you might think. The material is PVC and reasonably tough. Mine has the inflatable floor (but not a V bottom). Still, it rows pretty well. The 77# seems a bit high. Might be the shipping weight. I think mine weighs less that 50# when in use. Getting it on top of the cabin is a bit of an effort, more from the size than the weight.

Yes, if I was out in the wilds and really HAD to rely on a dinghy I'd have gotten something else. However, in my case, for infrequent use more for fun than anything, the Intex dinghy works just fine. Mine is 9 years old and is still in excellent condition. No repairs have been needed.

FWIW, there are lots of videos online of people who trick out the Intex inflatables for fishing. Some people can get pretty carried away, but the boats seem to do the job.

A couple of months ago I got a Bote Aero Deus. It is an inflatable kayak/SUP. I haven't tried using it from my C-Dory yet. It is a more "real" boat than the Intex, but then it cost about 9 times what the Intex 3 cost me. Time will tell if the Bote is any better than the Intex in actual practice.

The Intex is likely better for transferring people and supplies from ship to shore. It is wider and more stable. The Bote seems better for solo use (although you can probably carry some stuff on it).

The Intex boats have molded plastic rod holders for fishing. If you aren't going to use them, I suggest cutting them off (I removed mine). These holders get in the way when storing the dinghy inverted on the cabin roof.
mutski

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
mutski wrote:

Thanks for the detailed report! I had in mind to use it for ship-to-shore in side bays around Kachemak Bay, Alaska, where there could be wind but not likely big waves. Sound plausible?

I wonder if you could get the little electric motor and make a 12V lithium ion pack to avoid the heavy lead-acid battery. Like an electric bicycle battery pack.
mutski

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! You can put a sail on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCF10kga7nY

Brings back memories of the time I put a sail on my Klepper kayak and a sudden gust of wind turned it over in the middle of Seldovia Bay. I had to sit on the overturned kayak and paddle it upside-down to shore. Tales of stupidity and survival...
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best dinghy we ever had was the Alaska Series by Gary King. Very tough material, inflatable floor, and the Bearclaw bottom could be dragged over rocks, barnacles, or whatever. We had a 2 hp Merc, and it also rowed extremely well. But it weighed 50 some pounds and got too heavy for me to get over the bow rail and up on the roof, so we got a Sea Eagle 12 foot inflatable kayak the weighed just north of 30 lbs. But the Alaska Series was Baxter-approved!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

mutski

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the Sea Eagle kayaks. How are they for stability when you climb off the C-Dory to get in.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small trolling motor (non salt water series, or non "brand name", often will not hold up well in salt water use. The true electric outboards, have a larger prop than the trolling motors. (There are some expensive high thrust salt water series trolling motors which do have good blade area, and the thrust to push a boat.). I have about 10 years experience with a Torqeedo 3 hp (equiv) electric outboard, they work fine.

Also the bracket for the Intrex, does not look as if it will hold up to heavy use.

The fastest thing down wind on the water is an inflatable boat. As the wind picks up, it becomes more dangerous. I have had a situation where I had a brand name, inflatable, and a 3 hp outboard. I went downwind and past my larger boat. Fortunately, I was able to get in the lee of the larger boat, and then power to the transom. Trying to go along side, even with a 3 HP outboard, into the wind, was impossible. If there had not been that lee, I would have been blow out to sea. I have rescued several boaters who tried to row against wind and chop and were not able to prevail.

They show video and talk about the sailing kit--fine in a lake, and gentle breezes. Not so good with a ocean, higher wind and chop. You could easily find yourself trying to sail back to windward, and unable to do it.

The dinghy is also a life raft--or a boat you must depend on. You boat in some very cold water. Thus you want a very reliable dinghy. I have experience the rocks and barnacles in SE Ak. and they will take a toll on even a solid fiberglas boat bottom (RIB). I had to add a sacrificial layer of fiberglass each season on the bottom of. the RIB, from "beaching" on rocks and abrasive material. There is a very good reason that the "Alaska" Series of inflatables has the "bear claw" material. That does hold up to the rocks, and sharp barnacles, I doubt that the Intrex will hold up.

Please be safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: