Something about bouyancy.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kckonzem

City/Region: Camino
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2021
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Life
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: Something about bouyancy. Reply with quote

I guess I have been watching too much television, but I am curious about buoyancy in the C-dory. I have a 23' Venture, aside from the cabin when the door is closed, I am wondering if there are other built in compartments containing floatation. I understand this would be the worst case scenario, but would the boat float if the cabin and cockpit were to become flooded? I know there is foam sandwiched in places in the hull. I wonder if this has been evaluated or if this is something everyone has an answer too.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outboard powered boats under 20 feet in length are required to have floatation to keep the level if swamped. My understanding is that there have only been one or two boats which were swamped (one from anchoring by the stern, one by getting into surf too close to the beach, due to engine failure. Both boats were salvaged.

With the floatation under the V berth platform and the balsa or foam core, the boats would not sink, but may not be level or may be capsized. The motor and batteries would drag the stern down, and the bow would be the only part floating above the surface. The good news is that these boats are very hard to capsize or sink even in rough conditions. Where the floatation has been removed, or there is no floatation, then the boat would most likely sink, unless there is enough air trapped under the forward deck. Having a windlass or deck pipe might let enough water in, that there would not be enough air to float upside down.

If you are going into extremely rough waters, then a life raft, or blowup inflatable boat is wise, just in case. Water will get into the cabin rapidly, both around the door, and thru the areas where cables pass thru to the aft part of the boat under the gunnel.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kckonzem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Something about bouyancy. Reply with quote

Bob,
Thankyou for the insightful response to my question. Like I said, too much television!
Kevin
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fresh water tank is in the bow just under the V-Berth, so depending on how little or much air is in the tank that should give some buoyancy, at least for some period of time.

You must have bought the virtually brand-new boat from Kirk & Susan Williams. I've seen it and it is one beautiful boat with just about all the options. You should really enjoy it.

Try to attend a CBrats getogether. You're about halfway between the two that are coming up (Catalina & Cathlamet) and not too horribly far from next year's Friday Harbor CBGT which is in the waters your boat was built to ply! Very Happy My wife and my first outing in our first C-Dory was to the FHCBGT which was such a wonderful experience with friendly and down-to-earth folks that really helped to instill that boating in these little pocket cruisers was for us.

Welcome to the forum.

kckonzem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Flotation Reply with quote

Steve and Joanie,
Thanks for the response. Yes, you are right I am the new owner of C-Life, Kirk and Susan's boat. I got to know Kirk pretty well during the sale, he has been very helpful and is a very nice guy. Our schedule this year is filling up, but I will still look at the details of the CBrats get togethers. I was hoping that next year I could make it up to the San Juan Islands and points North.
Kevin and Karen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: