manual windshield wipers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: manual windshield wipers Reply with quote

Any convert manual wipers to electric?
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. The original passenger side wiper was manual. It required me to rise out the the seat and stretch over to the wiper handle. Not a big problem except if I waited too long and let salt spray dry. I simply bought the same motor/wiper as the helm side and spliced into the wire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too easy. Unfortunately this boat doesn't have electric right now. I read a few posts, seams straight forward. Although the original motor brand doesn't look like the best value. Some have installed another w/ a stainless shaft and it also has two speeds.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was starting from scratch on the electric wipers, I would look for something with more like an automotive control, 2 or 3 speed and or with some time delay, and then a switch so they could both be on the same control, or could independently be on. Like, main control on and passenger side could be on the same control, or could be off and the helm side could be off and passenger side on.

I know that sounds complicated but my system has each side individual, (either on or off, no delay or speed changes.) And, there are times when only one side is getting spray, not the other so individual is good, but a momentary switch that is easily accessible would be great.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
If I was starting from scratch on the electric wipers, I would look for something with more like an automotive control, 2 or 3 speed and or with some time delay, and then a switch so they could both be on the same control, or could independently be on. Like, main control on and passenger side could be on the same control, or could be off and the helm side could be off and passenger side on.

I know that sounds complicated but my system has each side individual, (either on or off, no delay or speed changes.) And, there are times when only one side is getting spray, not the other so individual is good, but a momentary switch that is easily accessible would be great.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

My system has the standard factory set up with a switch for each side. I added a double throw momentary switch that can operate the selected wiper for one cycle (or for as long as the switch is held in that position). The switch is positioned so that it can be actuated with a finger while still holding the helm wheel. In my case this is the switch that is used to operate the wipers for a sweep or two to get the spray off. Never had to operate the wipers in continuous mode using the factory switches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: