City/Region: Covington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Fellowship
Photos: Fellowship
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
thanks, in what way was the 51 better suited for ocean trolling?

If I recall it was a bit more powerful and had better frequencies for depth.
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATPNW, thanks!

Steve, once again thanks for your input, think we're going to do it Smile - Karen

C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a garmin echomap with the GT54 and I'm happy with it. Just be aware that the deep they are rated at is in clear fresh water, any brackish, salt or anything else water will diminish the range.
sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
Also, I'm surprised that the display is only 480 x 800 pixels. Is that common in this price range? Sorry, relative newbies here Smile

Yes that is pretty common screen resolution for plotters 9" or less screen size. I recently got a Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 mostly because it has a higher resolution screen (1280x720). Even the 7 inch model has a higher rez screen than commonly found. It's 1024x600.

Might be an issue with available screen sizes that also have the required brightness. Lots of screens available in the <500 nits brightness range. A chart plotter screen needs to be at least 1200 nits. Brighter is better.
zuunami

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the garmin 9sv unit on order, but we also want to change out our 6 or 7 year old icom vhf. So have been researching, and the more I research, the more confused I get Smile If someone can direct me to a helpful post, or maybe I need to just start a new one Smile

If we were to get the standard horizon GX2400, which has ais receive and gps, mostly for the redundant gps, how would you connect the two. I'm truly showing my ignorance here, but does the Garmin chartplotter need to be connected to the antenna (which is an older Shakespeare). Or do you wire the new VHF to the antenna, and then the chartplotter to the VHF in order to see the AIS info on the chartplotter?
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuunami,
The vhf with the AIS receive, is connected to the external vhf antenna. The radio has several small wires and one of these are connected to the matching wire on the Garmin. The wire on the radio and the plotter were not the same color, but the installation manual of each, shows the wire color for that function.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think the sidescan is bulls**t. I have the Garmin 94sv along with the Navnet II Furuno on board. I've asked many salesmen at boat shows and their factory seminars how does the sidescan see through an outdrive or kicker motor. One salesman even said "well the sidescan actually looks forward". I asked then, "if it looks forward how does it see through the hull on a deep V". None have been able to give an acceptable explanation. As far as seeing schools of bait out to the side in the ocean, the results from personal experience, are dubious at best.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I personally think the sidescan is bulls**t.

Side scan. is more developed to see "structure" in limited freshwater depths. The same may be considered true of down scan. In depth over 100' and in salt water, I would go with the CHIRP and usual water column images. (The literature gives "limits" of on the boat transducer to be about 300'.). Towed side scan transducers will go well beyond this depth.

The transducer does not "see" thru any structure on the boat. If thru hull transducers on a deep V--you need port and Starboard transducers. On our C Dorys or similar boats, there is enough shooting sideways (unless you have the motor trimmed all of the way down) and forward to give a decent image on the other side of the motor. Any of these are shooting a narrow column of water at any one instant.

The combination of the two, along with depth charting and AI, with the "Real Vision" of RayMarine, vs the Panoptic of Garmin. I have not tried any of the Lowrance/Simrad apps recently. The Panoptic tends to give better forward scan images, but the Real Vision is an excellent overall representation of the bottom, structure and fish. Enough that I sprung for the Real Vision for my 18' Caracal cat.

So far my criticism of the Real Vision is that the image is liimited in size and distance (as one might expect). But it does show structure in a 3 D model which is very useful. I have read that the Panoptic does well, and has better forward components.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
... On our C Dorys or similar boats, there is enough shooting sideways (unless you have the motor trimmed all of the way down) and forward to give a decent image on the other side of the motor. Any of these are shooting a narrow column of water at any one instant. ...

On my 22 with the motor in the normal position the sidescan image on the left side of the screen is pretty much a reflection of the right side. The transducer is mounted to the right of the motor. The left side image is a reflection of the beam off the motor lower unit. On a 22 there are limited options for mounting transom transducers.

I don't fish, so this I don't usually look at the sonar images except for curiosity.
zuunami

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much, Steve, for the wiring info. Now I'm not too sure about the
standard horizon GX2400, as it's 6" deep compared to the GX1800 which is 3" deep (which doesn't have AIS), and in the small space of the 16', we have to consider how to mount both the garmin and the sh in front of the wheel without losing too much view. I'm thinking the GX1800 could fit in front of the Garmin, while the GX2400 might not. Our current old vhf is attached below the front helm box, awkward Smile

As to the Garmin 94sv, we want it because we're getting old and tired of squinting. The old Raymarine works fine. Side view might be nice for us as our slip is a mile up a narrow river with logs, but we'll see. We have our current transducer on a home-made pole that we can move up and down, so we'll see! Even without sideview, I think it'll be a step up Smile
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On our C Dorys or similar boats, there is enough shooting sideways (unless you have the motor trimmed all of the way down) and forward to give a decent image on the other side of the motor. Any of these are shooting a narrow column of water at any one instant.

When you are trolling for fish the kicker is "all the way down" and blocks any sonar pulse to that side.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forrest wrote:
I personally think the sidescan is bulls**t. I have the Garmin 94sv along with the Navnet II Furuno on board. I've asked many salesmen at boat shows and their factory seminars how does the sidescan see through an outdrive or kicker motor. One salesman even said "well the sidescan actually looks forward". I asked then, "if it looks forward how does it see through the hull on a deep V". None have been able to give an acceptable explanation. As far as seeing schools of bait out to the side in the ocean, the results from personal experience, are dubious at best.

Forrest, the sidescsan does not see out to the surface, but looks out at about a 45-60 degree angle, so that one edge of that is looking down, and then about 45-60 degrees out from down on each side. That angle will probably be below the kicker interference. I believer that angle varies depending on the brand and transducer.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
thanks, in what way was the 51 better suited for ocean trolling?

As mentioned, each model has different frequencies that make them better suited for different depths and resolutions.
Don't know if you've seen it, but here's their PDF to help choose the right transducer: https://www8.garmin.com/marine/PDF/transducer_selection_guide.pdf

We were planning to be offshore out in the gulf stream more, so we went with the GT51 transom mount with a GT15 in-hull as a back-up.
So far I've been pretty happy with all our Garmin gear.
zuunami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JMacLeod, but our Garmin with the 54 just arrived, so no going back now lol

I don't suppose you have a Garmin fixed vhf? We need to replace on old icom, and I'm going to do another post just on this topic, but we have not been happy with our handheld Standard Horizon so far (we were thinking of the standard horizon for a new fixed unit).
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
Thanks JMacLeod, but our Garmin with the 54 just arrived, so no going back now lol

I don't suppose you have a Garmin fixed vhf? We need to replace on old icom, and I'm going to do another post just on this topic, but we have not been happy with our handheld Standard Horizon so far (we were thinking of the standard horizon for a new fixed unit).

Nothing wrong with the ultra high-def choice. Thumbs Up

Sorry, we went off of group suggestions and ended up with a fixed icom m506 and the same handheld standard horizons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: