View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Prince Rupert long term parking Reply with quote

Just wanted to give anyone considering boating out of Prince Rupert a heads up that there is is no long term parking option there. Per Wagoner’s Cruising Guide, we contacted Coastal Propane several weeks ago and got a confirmed reservation for long term parking for the truck and trailer. Upon arriving recently they informed us they could not accommodate us even though we had reservations. After seeing the place, I can understand why. It is a junkyard. They are completely unreliable.
After an extensive search and much discussion with the city and others who have offered the service in the past, there are just not any other options.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, sorry to hear about your experience. I did park my rig there 3 years ago, but it wasn't a sure bet. I too had called and set up reservations. However, once I got there, I was a little concerned about what I found. And during one call was told there "should" be room. However, I stayed in close contact with them once it was closer, and each time told that we'll be able to get you in. I ended up parking inside an inner gate around one of the large propane tanks, beside one of their older "unused" propane trucks. In the end it worked out well for me. If I were to make another Inside Passage run, I would once again contact Coastal Propane and try to work out something with them. But I also believe there could always be the possibility of no room. My strong recommendation for anyone looking to store their rig with them, is to stay in contact with them as the time gets closer, so they know you are coming. I suspect as word got out, they ended up with more business. But it definitely is not set up as a large parking area. It's a family run propane business, with a lot of stuff parked inside the small fenced in area. BTW, where did you end up parking? Colby
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I ended up parking on the city street parking. The city told me I could do long term parking there. With follow up after I was in AK they informed they no longer accommodated long term parking. A little frustrated so am returning to Prince Rupert from Prince of Wales Is to load boat and head for Prince William Sound. BTW, the autopilot works awesome. Thanks again for the advice. Ken
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear about the autopilot. That sucks about already being out and having to return to move the rig. The only other place in the area that I might be ok leaving my rig long term would be at Lady Smith on Vancover Island or at Telegraph Cove. Lady Smith was free when I was there, and Telegraph Cove was $30/week. Not sure though how they fit it with an Inside Passage Trip. I'm sure it would add quite a bit of water mileage! The drive to Prince William Sound should be beautiful however. Not sure what your plans are, but I know Jay and his group parked and launched in Skagway. I think I would be tempted to do that if I get the opportunity for another Inside Passage trip. Better luck with the rest of your trip! Colby
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: A bit of Google Earthing Reply with quote

I used Google Earth and see lots of fenced in areas with obvious storage of vehicles and stuff. I think a day or two of knocking on doors with some $$ in hand will yield a place to park. You could contact every likely place, the Google Street View really get you a good picture of the various locations. Also, you could try renting parking from a homeowner but the homes in the area are expensive and the small amount of income might not matter.
Bob in Nevada
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: