The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Help Fitting Bimini for 22 Cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbbernard

City/Region: Wakefield
State or Province: RI
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA STORY
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Help Fitting Bimini for 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

Hello, C-Brats

Looking to purchase and install an aftermarket bimini for my 2005 22 Cruiser. I've read a ton of helpful posts on here and done a ton more research, but having never fitted a bimini on a boat before, I have a few questions you might be able to help with.

I'm looking at three arch bimini. The length seems standardized at 72 inches.

1. Is a 46" height right? When mounted to the gunwales, that would put it at about 77", high enough for me at 6'3". It would have to slope up from the back of the cabin roof (at 68").

2. Do I measure the width to the INSIDES of the gunwales or the OUTSIDES?

3. My plan is to attach snaps to the cabin roof and bimini edge—will this work?

I appreciate any help you all can provide and hope to tap into your collective experience and save myself a headache or two.

Thanks!

cb
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all of the C Dorys (and many other boats) is to use either a plastic or metal "Awning rail" on the top of the cabin. This will ensure a watertight attachment. There is a small piece which fits into the awning rail, and then zippers to the rest of the Bimini. This also allows for opening this area, and getting more ventilation if necessary.

The attachments for the Bimini bows are usually on the top of the gunwale or inside the gunwale. Not outside. You can bring the Bimini as far aft as you wish.

Are. you buying something like a "Taylor" stock item, or are you having a local canvas maker do the work? If you handy, this may be a time to start to be your own canvas worker? Sailrite has good support and patterns. Although their sewing machines are outstanding, I have used both an older Brother and Paff heavy duty sewing machines.

Look at different methods of mounting--side vs top. One of my 22's had a sliding track on the inside of the gunwale, so the the bottom attachment could slide to allow the Bimini to fit inside the cockpit when down. Measure to the inside.

3 bows are the "norm', but I have had 4 bows. SS Bows are better than Aluminum, At least 3/4" in diameter. I would use zippers, not snaps between the piece going to the awning rail. If yo want to use "fittings" use common sense fittings, not snaps on the two pieces of canvas.

I believe that the 46" should be OK.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
cbbernard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

This is helpful. Thank you.

I'm looking at a standard three-bow bimini from National. It would be 72" long, 46" high, and if I'm measuring to the inside of the gunwales, 75" wide.

I've read about the bimini attachment point on the C-Dory cabin, but I have not seen it in person and cannot picture it in my mind. How do I make this happen? I have a friend who can sew a zipper onto the edge of the bimini, but is there a piece I buy that fits the cabin channel with the zipper mount on it?

Thanks!
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out my embedded photo album on Midnight Flyer's Bimini install. You may see some photos there that are helpful.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2715&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This shows the canvas between the Bimini and the awning railing (plastic all along the back side of the cabin house). Go to Sailrite web page and search for Awning Rail. Then how to make a Bimini.

The second photo is of the free standing Bimini, (custom made) with out the cloth tying the awning rail on the back of the cabin house, to the top:
cbbernard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Colby and Bob, those pictures help quite a bit. Thank you both!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're getting advice on how to build your own bimini, or at least for what to ask.

There's another approach. One that guarantees a good fit. You could call your bimini maker and haul the boat over to them. Give your input and have them build and install to their dimensions. That way the thigie will fit, or it's their nickle. The molds for the hull and cabin really haven't changed over the years.

When we bought the boat, it came with a bimini from Kings Marine Canvas, in Seattle, but that's a little far from you.

Boris
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 22 came with a bimini that the PO put on. It is a 3rd party one from Talyor or Attwood or the like (label is too faded to read). It is 3-bow mounted to the gunwales. Mine does not attach to the cabin roof, but has straps at the front and back.

The advantage to the straps is that the angle of the bimini can be adjusted fore and aft a bit as needed depending on where the sun is. For instance, if the sun is off the stern, the bimini can be angled more to the stern for better protection. The disadvantage to the straps is that it is not attached to the cabin roof and if it is raining, water can come through the gap. This can be mitigated by angling the bimini more to the front.

The bimini is sized so that when it is stowed it rides on the top rear of the cabin roof and is secured to the roof hand rails for towing.

These pictures show the bimini stowed and deployed.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
here's another approach. One that guarantees a good fit. You could call your bimini maker and haul the boat over to them

I'm fortunate that our area has a guy pretty well known for the excellent work he does in boat covers and such. He's the one that has built my biminis and covers. If you can find a shop such as this, unless you have the knowledge to do your own, it's probably worth it. Colby
cbbernard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the good advice and photos.

Long-term, I plan to have one custom made by a local shop. But since we bought the boat last summer, we've been pouring a ton of money into fixing her up. The short term solution seems to be to buy a generic one for a few hundred bucks (less than a full Boat Unit!) and make do for five years or so. If I can keep the Admiral out of the bright sun and rain, she'll be more inclined to let me invest more down the road.

Ssobol, your setup looks like it's similar to the aftermarket ones I'm considering. I appreciate the photos.
croakz

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these for my 22 Angler, I got a bigger one because of the longer cockpit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GZDTGLO/

It's huge. I got the 54" tall one because I have a couple tall friends, but I wish I got the 48" one. That said, it was on a "Like New" Amazon Warehouse deal so I got it for under $100. I've replaced some of the hardware for stainless steel, specifically to mount inside the gunnels.

- tom
fred09

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Almost all of the C Dorys (and many other boats) is to use either a plastic or metal "Awning rail" on the top of the cabin. This will ensure a watertight attachment. There is a small piece which fits into the awning rail, and then zippers to the rest of the Bimini. This also allows for opening this area, and getting more ventilation if necessary.

The attachments for the Bimini bows are usually on the top of the gunwale or inside the gunwale. Not outside. You can bring the Bimini as far aft as you wish.

Are. you buying something like a "Taylor" stock item, or are you having a local canvas maker do the work? If you handy, this may be a time to start to be your own canvas worker? Sailrite has good support and patterns. Although their sewing machines are outstanding, I have used both an older Brother and Paff heavy duty sewing machines.

Look at different methods of mounting--side vs top. One of my 22's had a sliding track on the inside of the gunwale, so the the bottom attachment could slide to allow the Bimini to fit inside the cockpit when down. Measure to the inside.

3 bows are the "norm', but I have had 4 bows. SS Bows are better than Aluminum, At least 3/4" in diameter. I would use zippers, not snaps between the piece going to the awning rail. If yo want to use "fittings" use common sense fittings, not snaps on the two pieces of canvas.

I believe that the 46" should be OK.

Thanks for the information. Actually, I am looking into using a sewing machine to sew internal parts of purses and handbags. Still want to hand stitch outer leather. The machine would be used to sew mainly fabric to the leather interior. Would the Pfaff 60 work. I know it's not a singer 155, but what do you think?

I read here, that most of the Vintage domestic straight stitch machines can do thinner leather, and perhaps the Pfaff 60 can be a bit more expensive to get. Alternatives are Singer 201, Singer 15, Pfaff 30, and many brands of Japanese-made machines. If you sew a combined thickness of leather below 1.5 mm, I think the drop feed machines are likely to produce a better-balanced stitch than a combined feed walking foot machine.

However, a combined feed walking foot machine will cause fewer marks on the leather on the lower side from the feed dogs, and you got much more controllable and consistent feed. But drop feed machines are simple to maintain and use, and if you add a speed reducer you will find them easy to control as well. What do you say about it...?
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pfaff is a 332, late 40's vintage, made in Germany with all metal gears. Any of the Pfaff's of this vintage (up until the 60's) should have all metal gears and be fine for reasonable leather sewing. The size of thread is somewhat limited (by the needles). If you have a Pfaff 60 it should be fine.

I do most of my heavy leather sewing by hand, with the punch to mark and make the holes, and then use two leather (blunt tip) needles for the hand sewing. Some projects I use a "Speedy Stitcher Awl". This allows the heaviest thread you can get and a good lock stitch.

I have used my friend's Consew, which has a 1 hp motor and foot clutch. Hang on and keep your fingers clear! (I sewed thru a finger when I was about 11 years old doing sails for a model boat. It was an old treadle Singer machine.)

There are some cheaper Chinese machines which appear to be very similar to the Sailrite machine. However the Sailrite is smoother, and more refined.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: