The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/20 - 08-26 - Catalina Adventure in Paradise 2006
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, that would be terrific. Probably something like one of those 'infintile mortality' issues... Good luck, we'll be thinking of you.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Bob Cat

City/Region: Santa Monica
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Dive Cat
Photos: Dive Cat
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honda tech showed up yesterday. Lots of good news.

It is the starter. It is under warranty. It is about the only repair that can be made at the dock. A new one will be installed Thursday or Friday. The metal from the starter gear dropped harmlessly into a void. The flywheel is okay.

Won't be coming over to Catalina, but I'm looking forward to a summary and pictures of the event.

Bob Cat
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posted some pics from Catalina Beer

Logged 180 mile nautical miles and used 54 gallons of fuel.

Left Channel Islands Harbor last Sunday at 0830- arrived at the Two Harbors at 1215, a smooth 57 nautical mile crossing.
Met with Steve and Caren (Seabran) on the string line. Andy and Debby (Koinonia) was there, met and visited with them. Sam and Kerry (Salty Cs) arrived later in the day. There was another 22' on the line out of San Diego- I believe his name was Ira? - nice couple been there a few days and was getting ready to head back

Monday we met the others as they arrived from Marina del Rey. The beach BBQ was great- thanks again Mike.

Tuesday Sam, Steve (Swanny) and I went diving. Great visability. I tried to shoot a sheepshead- need to learn how to shoot the new spear gun.

Wednesday--- ah, the fishing trip. I wanted to try for some of the dorado that was in the area. I headed down towards Avalon with Steve on board. Islander and Pounder followed along. I wanted to spend the day trolling. First thing, we saw a swordfish do acrobatics in front of us. Trolled over the area to no avail. Trolled around the east end of Catalina and headed towards San Clemente until we heard the Navy fireing practise shooting of the big guns, we headed back to Catalina. Back off Avalon Bank we came on a large kelp patty that was holding fish. We trolled by it severl times and cast lures to it-- saw several dorado skipping across the surface and even had a few follow the lures to the boat--- they just had lockjaw---- dinner at the resuarant that night.

Thursday was a fun day of kayaking out to the point and paddling through a cave- in one side and out the other. Happy B-day Mike Cake

Friday we went diving out by the old quarry- again great visability and warm water. 65 - 70 foot dive

Saturday - Up at 0500 and left Two Harbors at 0545-- another nice 57 NM crossing. Had to stop and let a large container ship pass in the shipping lanes- then fun times in his wake Shocked Arrive back at Channel Islands Harbor at 1000

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy

Last edited by C-Hawk on Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from the Catalina Aventure in Paradise, and it lived up to it's name. Weather was absolutely perfect.....sunny, warm, easy seas. Beach barbecue was great...lots of delicious food and good friends. Speaking of good friends, our perennial sailing goodf buddy, Wendy, was there again. Next day was a bike ride ( which I sat out), followed by some snorkling. The water was warm and gin clear. Next day was the big fishing day, but sorry to report the only fish caught was one little guy that hopped into PJ's dingy. So instead of a fish fry, we all ate a nice meal at the resturant. Thursday was kayaking and snorkling in the morning, and the dingy race in the afternoon. The dingy race was an absolute riot....Fishtales took top honors. Then, because it was my 69th birthday, the group got sneaky and went into a secret meeting wothout me. Turned out that they wrote a musical dity to the tune of Gilligan's Island and Wendy hosted a dinner and party aboard her Gemini sailboat. She and Cathy (Pounder) are gifted singers and guitarists, and we sang the night away. I've never had a better birthday. Next morning I left for home a day earlier than everyone else due to a Coast Guard committment, and made a straight shot 57 mile cruise home. Another Catalina trip in the books. Will be posting a few pics.
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, Mike did a terrific job organizing this gathering and making sure we all kept occupied (not hard to do for this group, actually harder to hold them back!). Thanks Mike, great BBQ and great idea on the first ever dingy race at this event. The biking, kayaking, snorkling and diving were beyond description, wonderful.

Mike's impromptu B-Day party Thurs evening was, well, a magical event, about the only way I could describe it. I've never seen or heard anything like it before, what great musical talent we discovered on this trip.

Here's just a taste of this talent in words, the following 'song' was put together by several people, Wendy (Gemini catamaran owner) did most of the work and lyrics -- set to the music of Gilligan's Island, Mike's Birthday Song:

-----------------------------------------
So, here's the tail of Admiral Mike
He sails the deep blue sea.
Pho-to-gra-pher and Sparks Bo-sun
of the Coast Guard Auxilary

His shipmates rotate regularly
the first was lecherous Ed
He landed in the C-Pup's bunk
and now it's Bob instead,
and now it's Bob instead

He's always dreamed of 69
that special day is here
with Bob and Ed and DeltaMan
his options are too clear
and this is what he feared
his drooping halyard's here

Sea life's rendevous at Two Harbors
is always a success
with Fishtales
and Salty C's
Pounder
and Dora Jean
with C-Pup
and Islander

Here at Isthmus Isle!!

----------------------------------------------
Then we sang him Happy Birthday. Next we proceeded to keep the neighboring boats up quite late with loud singing and guitar.

Hey Roger (Fishtales), that close-up of me is well, a little TOO close up, surprised the camera survived. I posted a few pics also, starting here.
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, forgot to mention but you'd have been proud of me. I have a whole new outlook on kelp paddies now, kept looking all the way home, nothing bigger than about 2 ft though (still could have fish I know). But I did find a whole bunch of jumping baitfish about 3 miles from Marina Del Rey. So I circled around, came upwind and cut the engines. Got my pole out, put a krocadile lure on it and tossed it to the edge. Caught a large mackeral, or what I thought was a large mac, kept it. Couldn't get another bite so continued on, found some structure and a lot of fish within another 1/2 mile, so stopped and anchored (wind was up). Fished all types of lures with and without squid, no luck. But I did get a lot of FRIENDS in about an hour. I guess this is a famous fishing spot or something, a huge party boat hauled up and anchored 100 feet directly in front of me tossing up and down in the waves, then a sportfisher and 4 more boats (probably following the party boat). I left after I saw what they were catching with live chovies, Sculpins.

Got back to the dock and I was greeted by a Fish & Game lady. Wanted to know and see what I caught, I filleted it while still fresh out there. She said it is a Bonita not a mac! Smallest Bonita I've ever seen (1 1/2 - 2 lbs). So, off to the Bar-Be tonight.
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All:

What a great trip! Kath and I had a wonderful time at our 5th Catalina Offshore Adventure. Thanks to all the C-Dory folks for making it such a fun time.

This was our best time ever. Kath and I look forward to returning to Ismas Isle next year, same time, for another Internet "big chill" week with a super group of folks.

Knuckles to everyone. Kath and I sang the Gilligan's Island song all the way back to Sacramento with a big smile on our faces!

Islander

City/Region: Channel Islands Harbor
Vessel Name: Islander
Photos: Islander
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props to Mike for another great trip. This was my 5th year!!! Steve I still owe you for the ice cream.
For me this Catalina trip has become a fantastic tradition.
So much fun is had, so many stories to tell.
Can't wait for next year.

Saucey!

Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, you don't owe me anything for sure, I ate way more ice cream Monday eve that you brought (more than I should have...).

I agree, this was the best of all so far and that is amazing considering how great all the other year's have been there.

Nuks to all, and remember our pact, what happened at the island stays at the island...to protect the innocent of course..
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

City/Region: Los Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pup
Photos: C-Pup
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: "Tiny But Tenacious" C-Pup16 Reply with quote

I woke Kimiko and our two dogs Monday 8/21 at 4:30 AM to launch C-Pup16 at MDR and join the C-Dory Flotilla to cross 32 miles of sea. My dogs quietly endured the crossing which was not bad conditions but was their first long trip at sea. Then the dogs and Kimiko and me somehow all fit into my new tiny dingy and rowed ashore to enjoy a busy beach barbecue. All this was a little too much for my small basenji (dog) who let poor Roger from C-Dory Fish Tails know he was not in a playful mood by growling at him and then biting his hand when Rog wanted to wrestle with the dog. Oh boy! Sorry Roger! I later had to wrestle my tired young basenji myself to take off his life vest when we returned to C-Pup Monday night. The poor pup was so overwhelmed with new experiences by bed time that he wanted C-Pup's entire tiny v-berth for himself. He was growling and snarling and biting at me, probably afraid I wanted him to set off on yet another adventure rather than sleep! Finally, I got him in the sleeping bag with me. All the others in their boats heard the growling and must have though the subsequent silence meant one of us was dead! Kimiko slept in her bag snuggled next to the grumpy dog and me, and our other dog slept in her dog bed in the boat's cockpit very amused by the whole scene. On Tuesday, Kimiko, our dogs, myself and new Catalina C-Dory adventurers Jon & Patty hiked to the highest mountain peak beyond Two Harbors overlooking a stunning view of the back side's rugged coast and of both harbors. I thank Swanny from C-Dory Dora Jean for suggesting that hike! I took Kimiko and two dogs home on C-Pup Wednesday morning as scheduled and rearmed C-Pup to the T for serious fishing by myself during the rest of the week... returned to the Isthmus Thurs and was wowed by a birthday party for 69 year old Mike of C-Dory Sea Life. The party was held on Wendy's big 50 ft sail boat, Wendy being a gifted hostess, a skilled guitarist, singer, performer and just a human jewel offering us scruffy C-Dory fun seekers endless delicious food, wine and loads of fun enjoying her many songs and warm smiles,...with wonderful participation by Kathy (of C-Dory Pounder) singing and strumming her guitar with one amazing song that she wrote, ...well suited for a fisherman ("You can tell me lies..."); Then early Friday morning I caught a 25 inch yellowtail (nose to fork in tail) and a 17" calico bass just outside the moorings (costing me just a teaspoon of gas... thanks to a helpful book about fishing the island by Mark Wisch called "In The Gray"), but soon after, my favorite Bruce anchor and 12 feet of expensive stainless steel chain became irretrievably stuck in rocks and kelp at 42 feet...well, irretrievable until Sam and Kerry of the C-Dory "Salty-Cs" dove in scuba gear to free it. My lucky day! Thanks Sam & Kerry for saving my anchor and chain! Next morning I saw the group leave for MDR on calm seas while I was fishing the Isthmus again (no fish cooperated with me on Saturday). After a restful windy afternoon in a beach chair on shore, I took C-Pup out fishing at sunset expecting afternoon winds to dissipate but no ... it was more like a scene from "the Perfect Storm" with wind driven seas (but no rain). I returned C-Pup to the string line mooring battered and grateful to be in one piece & prayed for a calm Sunday crossing. Next morning, I had to cross to San Pedro/Long Beach harbor in a moderately strong blow,... no fear and no problems, but it was rough in a small boat and I was motivated to wear my inflatable life vest with harness on top of my cork life jacket while tethered to my boat with my Givens buoy survival raft bag ready in the cockpit to deploy if swamped... and thankful I took Kimiko and the dogs home on Wednesday! Kind of like old sailor stories of being lashed to the mast while manning the helm wheel in a storm! I may have kissed and patted my Givens survival raft when I finally passed through Hurricane Gulch (Angels' Gate) and docked at Cabrillo boat ramp. Just as I entered Angel's Gate fearing an exiting super container ship would greet me, what came blasting out of the harbor to sea was the Irving Johnson tall ship, the one which ran aground earlier this year in Channel Islands Harbor, now freshly repainted white and glistening clean with all her square rigging fully deployed, a gorgeous ship! My 16 ft CD cruiser was rather amazing in fairly rough seas just outside Angels Gate... I had wave splash flooding off the ROOF at times and pouring into my open window! I felt like a nickle in an empty soda can that God was shaking, but my Yamaha 50 hp outboard just hummed along and when water in the cockpit began to slosh, I just turned on the mega bilge pump I installed next to the factory pump. I actually was so well adjusted to it all that I fished over submerged kelp beds outside of Long Beach harbor for a couple hours before entering the wind tunnel that whips around Palos Verdes Penninsula and the Cabrillo break-wall to Angel's Gate. I happened to dock C-Pup just as another fishing book author, Mike Gardner ("Fish Have No Hands"), was pulling his boat out and cussing his bad luck. He boasts in his book that it's a rare bad fishing day when he doesn't catch and release over 200 fish, but I heard him report to the fish & game survey girl that he was skunked that day. I smiled and may have raised my voice a little when I reported to her I had a yellowtail and a big calico in my freezer. It was a wonderful week enhanced by the friendship and help of the C-Dory group who ventured forth in small boats to have a good time together and who looked out for each other when we were in need. Those who missed this year's Great Adventure, well, there's always next year! I especially missed seeing Bob and Katy on Bob-Cat, Roy and Lucky on Water Lillie (and their four labs!), Andy and Debbie on Koinonia and Scott and family on Li'l Rascal. Try to make it next year guys (or why wait, plan your echo Isthmus adventure together this fall and invite C-Pup along!) This gathering at the Isthmus is what makes C-Dories more than just a boat.

Keith, C-Pup
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,
I was just browsing in your photo album and see that you've added more toys on the top of C-Pup, hence the following question.
Since I know that garage door height has been of concern to you, have you raised the entry way to your garage?
Inquiring mind wants to know... Laughing

By the way, I like your dodger!

C-Brat #16
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Dave, that dodger is really neat. Some day.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
I was just browsing in your photo album and see that you've added more toys on the top of C-Pup,

Dave - how do you get to his photo album? I don't see one listed.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:

Dave - how do you get to his photo album? I don't see one listed.

Go to the top of the page and click on "Photos", then click on "Our C-Dory Albums", then click on page "3", and at the bottom of the page you will see the album for C-Pup 16. The photos that show his radar, dodger etc. are towards the end of his photos.
Keith "pm'd" me with his procedure on how he facilitates getting C-Pup into his garage......perhaps he'll share that with all of us as I believe it to be a good solution for those that have limited garage door clearance.
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

City/Region: Los Angeles
Vessel Name: C-Pup
Photos: C-Pup
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a custom canvas guy design the dodger or bimini top so it wouldn't interfer with my fishing. With the camper back and window shade and privacy curtains, I think it all cost around $1750 in 2004. An unplanned benefit of the design is a little dry storage under it on the roof. When I put C-Pup into my car garage, the dodger folds down into the cockpit. Everything else on the roof comes off and lays on the bow deck... like a taking a off a toupee. The radar, radio, GPS and light pole wires all have enough slack to let the hardware they're connected to move forward to the bow deck without being disconnected. The wires come out of the cabin above the windows and go through the bonnet to run inside the radar bracket. When the boat is put together for use, the slack wire is looped and stuffed above the wiper outside the window. The wiper holds it in place out of view while the boat is trailered or under way at sea. The "cross" "super-structure" on the roof is made from pvc pipe (the extra heavy version). It supports a stock metal shelf for accessories. That shelf came with the radar mount but is too flimsy. With all the accessories I have on it (light pole, radar reflector, & GPS antenna), the shelf would flex and break from metal fatigue without the extra support. The pvc cross also holds the radio antenna and serves as a flag pole. It is held in place (so not to spin) by strings tied at each end of the horizontal pipes and connected to the boat's roof top grab rails. It takes time to assemble and disassemble all this stuff. I use a lot of plastic wire straps for quick connections and neatness. BTW, I also wear a helmet when climbing all over the boat on its trailer while working on it because even monkeys fall out of trees sometimes. I like my boat but climbing in and out of and on top of this small boat when on its trailer is dangerous and could easily cause a deadly fall or life changing injury from hitting the pavement. You all keep that in mind too, okay?
Keith, C-Pup16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: