The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Drawings for a 27' 1982 C-Dory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiernanlaw@gmail.com

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NA
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:13 am    Post subject: Drawings for a 27' 1982 C-Dory Reply with quote

All:
I have a 1982 27' C-Dory that is 65% saturated the back 8 feet of the boat. It's about 650 lbs over the dry weight. I want to take off the deck and see what I have, but I don't want to cut any stringers, gas tanks (they are sealed in the floor amidship), etc. Thus, I am looking for manufacturer drawings for a 1982 C-Dory so I may make some strategic cuts. Anybody have any ideas where I can get a set of drawings? Or if anybody out there has ever dug out saturated foam/wood in an old C-Dory, I'm all ears!
Thanks,
Bart
(907) 277-7657
tiernanlaw@gmail.com

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawings for a 27' 1982 C-Dory Reply with quote

tiernanlaw@gmail.com wrote:
All:
I have a 1982 27' C-Dory that is 65% saturated the back 8 feet of the boat. It's about 650 lbs over the dry weight. I want to take off the deck and see what I have, but I don't want to cut any stringers, gas tanks (they are sealed in the floor amidship), etc. Thus, I am looking for manufacturer drawings for a 1982 C-Dory so I may make some strategic cuts. Anybody have any ideas where I can get a set of drawings? Or if anybody out there has ever dug out saturated foam/wood in an old C-Dory, I'm all ears!
Thanks,
Bart
(907) 277-7657
tiernanlaw@gmail.com

I would not worry about any drawings. I would get out your favorite size drill bit, place a depth stop @ 1/2" or so and start looking for dry wood, then cut out and replace as nec.
FROM THE INSIDE of course. Mr. Green Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawings for a 27' 1982 C-Dory Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:

I would not worry about any drawings. I would get out your favorite size drill bit, place a depth stop @ 1/2" or so and start looking for dry wood, then cut out and replace as nec.
FROM THE INSIDE of course. Mr. Green Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Some of the 27's had a solid deck over the cockpit, with tankage and fish hold under the cockpit. They may not be identical, even if you found a set of drawings.

Probably a borescope type of camera, with a hole thru the deck close to a side to see what is in the way of cutting out a section of the deck.

Does the cockpit deck have wet areas by moisture meter, and or delimitation by sounding?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 3 basic layouts for the 27th. the extra long cab, which I own, Which has a bathroom and a closet at the rear of the cabin. Fuel tanks just after the door. And then a 7' by 7' fish hold that goes up to the Stern of the boat. The regular cab It's the same as mine only no bathroom and closet. Because a cabin is shorter. Then it had the fish locker at the back of the cabin. then the gas tanks at the rear of the boat. There was also a short cab which just had the driver's seat and a small table much like the 22 ft angler boats.. Some of the 27 had outdrives some of the 27s had outboards I don't know of any that had inboards. Take some pictures of your boat and send them to me.
stevedudek

City/Region: Newport
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Yeti
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same topic i have a 2001 22foot cruiser. Having the same issue under the gas tanks not sure if the boat came with a cleat system securing the gas tanks from sliding around they are using wood screws which penetrated the deck over time water has worked it's way in. Anyone know if this was standard factory construction if so not a good solution.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the 2001 used screws thru cleats. Some later boats they figured it out and began glassing in the cleats. Considerably different issue than the OP has, where he cannot see the tanks under a complete deck over the entire cockpit,

There is a pretty good chance that you will just have a very localized area of wet wood. If there were no freeze thaw cycles, or the boat was not abused, then the spread should be limited.

Let us know what you find.
stevedudek

City/Region: Newport
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Yeti
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob found a lot of wet rotten core so far starboard side i have removed two square feet so far. The opening is 5.5"x 1.5"thick. thinking of using a 2x6 Pressure treated glassing them back in the void i have made. Talked Greg Little at North West Marine he thinks that inch and a half balsa core is all there is through out the hull no stringers just the keel core on both sides.
I have some photos.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these boats are all cored with balsa--best to go back with the balsa. Several reasons the 2x6 is not a good idea, including weight, and dis similar characteristics with the Balsa. I prefer to put the boat back together with Epoxy. One gets a better secondary bond. No stringers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: