View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: PNW 2022, Columbia River and San Juan Islands Reply with quote

I'm planning to bring C-Traveler out to the PNW in June this year, but before heading out to the San Juans, maybe spending a week on the Columbia River near Portland, OR. Anyone have any suggestions for launching the boat, and then parking the pickup and trailer rig for a week? Rogers Marine was mentioned to me, but they don't have room for the trailer. Port of Camas-Washougal marina only allows parking 4 out of 10 days, and I'm not even sure if that included the trailer. Other thoughts would be to check with marinas like Cathlamet to see if they have safe parking, and an easy cruise to and back from Portland area. Either direction from Portland would be fine. Colby
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have some thoughts on it.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome to park your truck and trailer at my house for as long as you like. My rural property isn't gated, but where I live is as about as safe as you can get. I'm 30 minutes from Portland and am happy to shuttle you. PM me for more info if interested...
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I've got two possibilities if I stick with my plans to spend any time on the Columbia! Very Happy Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
You are welcome to park your truck and trailer at my house for as long as you like. My rural property isn't gated, but where I live is as about as safe as you can get. I'm 30 minutes from Portland and am happy to shuttle you. PM me for more info if interested...

Paul, how far are you from Willamette River Park, which is close to under the Ross Island Bridge, West side of the river? Just thinking it might be shorter shuttle, and it sure looked like a nice launch facility.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

pcg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that would be shorter and a pleasant trip up the Willamette River through downtown Portland. I'm 20 miles away from Willamette River Park - about 30 minutes.
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Scappoose Bay Reply with quote

Call port of St. Helens that runs Scappoose Bay, awesome boat launches, clean and great to access Columbia or the channel. You're also welcome to park the truck/trailer in front of my house. I am about 25 minutes from that boat launch. With increase crime in downtown I wouldn't park my truck/trailer anywhere in down town unless it was a secure moorage. Beacon Rock is one of my favorite spots on the Columbia, Government Island, Sand Island, Down town St. Helens, Kalama, Astoria, just to name a few.
Bryrick, 503-781-9967
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryrick, thanks for your offer as well. C-Brats are great!!! I'm still looking at some options and desires. I may end up launching in Astoria instead of Portland. If the whole Columbia River thing works out for me, I'd be launching on June 4th, +/- a day, but need to be loading back out late on the 13th or early on the 14th, so I can pick my wife up at either PDX or SEA later in the day on the 14th. (Airport is still undecided, and will probably depend upon time of flights available.) While we will be visiting with my brother at his home in Graham on the 15th and 16th before my wife and I head out to cruise in the San Juans, I thought it would be cool to meet him one night in Camas, with the boat, where he works the first half of the week. Timing may not work out for that, launching from Astoria, unless I burn fuel running fast up to Camas/Portland, then slow down to see stuff on the way back. In any case, there are some sights I'd like to see. I ran the Snake and Columbia Rivers with a group that Jim from Pounder put together a number of years ago, but it was a pretty fast trip, so while we saw a lot along the main River channel, I'd like to slow down this time and take in a bit more. I hear St. Helens and the Multnomah Channel are a worthwhile side trip. And I plan to do more anchoring out this trip, rather than pulling into marinas every night. If this trip works out for me, anyone that would like to join is welcome to. Along with my AIS, I learned of a new App, NEBO, that works pretty nice using cell phone coverage. I'll be more definitive of my plans as it gets closer to June. Colby
pcg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should tie up at the dock at Beacon Rock and enjoy the classic hike up
to the top.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You should tie up at the dock at Beacon Rock and enjoy the classic hike up
to the top.

I thought that was a cool “rock” when we flew by it at 16 kts. But didn’t know you could stop and climb it. That’s the kind of stuff I want to slow down and do if this trip pans out!
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great place to stay on a dock is Sand Island Marine Park across from St Helens. Moorage is free and you can use it as a base camp as you visit the area.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gary. You're about the third person that has suggested that, so sounds like something I need to put down to stop at! Colby
Boater Rob

City/Region: Albany
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 18-8 Toland
Vessel Name: Sea Pony
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have left our pickup and trailer at the St Helens Marina and not had any problems. It is on a dead end St and several people live right there. The boat launch can be a little low when the river levels are down and the tide is out, but we never had a problem getting enough water to float off. I think the cost is $5 to launch and that much a day to leave pickup and trailer. Its also right across from Sand Island. THe island campground can get a little noisy on the holiday weekends or even regular weekends during the height of camping season. Going up Multnomah channel is nice and there are some areas to anchor out or even tie up to a floating dock.

Enjoy your trip out.

Rob
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. I think at this point I'm planning on parking and launching out of Astoria. Of course my plans as usual, are pretty flexible. lol. I'll start looking at my charts for all the specific sites that have been listed in this thread. Regarding my cruising the San Juans, I'm looking at launching out of Cap Sante on June 17th, and loading back out on June 26th. Nothing specific for an itinerary there yet either, other than bouncing between the islands. Colby
pcg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I'm looking at launching out of Cap Sante on June 17th
This might not interest you, but the Race to Alaska starts from Port Angeles on June 13. Makes for a very exciting early morning spectator event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: