State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thank you Pat, I hope you’re right.

7-15-2022 Day 57

With only a light breeze & more sun than clouds, I pulled anchor & caught the ebbing tide for the 8 miles to Hugh Point, then the flood tide all the way to the Fords Terror entrance, where an hour before slack, I crossed the still running currents of the bar to anchor in the West Arm, after first looking into the East Arm. On the way again many whales, one that passed coming towards me very close. Hard to believe with all the opportunities for good video or photos, I flubbed it all & have no record of them except for the memory.

I managed to get enough ice bergy bits today to refill the running low on ice, ice chest, but not easy with just bear hands & not using my fish net, that on this trip, I forgot & left at home.

It’s very peaceful here tonight with noise only being the gentle lapping of water against the hull & the many waterfalls all around. So far no bears or wolves to see, but I know they are out there & I’m very content with just what I can see & hear now.

I have spent many days & nights in the high mountain wilderness alone & content, but boating became a way JoLee & I could together share the adventure & beauty of the remote wilderness. It’s places, like here at Fords Terror & Pleasant Bay, that I miss her company on this cruise, the most.

53 miles today & 1581 total.

7-16-2022 Day 58

I set the alarm for 4am to catch the high tide at the Ford Terrors entrance & passed out through it in a foggy drizzling rain at 5am. Couldn’t see all that well, but I now know the entrance very well & so it all went well, maybe not quite so well if not for the good electronic charts & gps tracks from the past. Again, I had the tide & wind with me & the 3 foot chop on the stern just made the auto pilot work a little harder. Now tied up to the Taku Harbor free dock, where I was with the group on July 4th.

54 miles today & 1635 total

7-17-2022 Day 59

Storm on the way in. It was blowing 20 knots from the south just out side the bay here on Stephens Passage & supposed to increase to 40 knot gust this afternoon, so I waited one hour before flood slack & left on plane at 16 mph for Auke Bay. No problem handling the waves from the stern, so by midway dropped back to displacement speed for a smooth ride into Auke Bay. Kinda strange, the Marina was packed & its first come, first served & I found the same spot open, I was in 12 days ago, when the group split. I plan to be here until the weather settles, then with JoLee’s encouragement head back down the Baranof Island inner coast, then maybe Sitka & the outer coast to Pelican, Elfin Cove & Hoonah before heading back to Skagway. That’s the plan, time will tell on how it works out. The trip around Admiralty Island since leaving here solo 12 days ago was 438 miles.

39 miles today & 1674 total

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been watching your Inreach your really getting around.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
I’ve been watching your Inreach your really getting around.

Never know which trip will be my last here, so want to see again as much as possible.

Jay
Tony Ferris

City/Region: Mead, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been watching your track the whole time, along with watching Jody drive home. I hope someday I get to go to SE Alaska. I suspect I have only one time in my future, but I sure do want to make it at least once. I'm still recovering from my knee surgery, but by next year I ought to be mobile. I wonder if I could do all the Alaska stuff in my boat with no windlass, older electronics, and no auto pilot. Probably, but I don't think I'd be doing 100 mile days without being 100% worn out.

Glad you are enjoying your trip. I like being with my lovely bride, but some of my most memorable adventures have been alone. Thanks for the really great trip reports. They really will be read for many years to come.

jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Ferris wrote:
Been watching your track the whole time, along with watching Jody drive home. I hope someday I get to go to SE Alaska. I suspect I have only one time in my future, but I sure do want to make it at least once. I'm still recovering from my knee surgery, but by next year I ought to be mobile. I wonder if I could do all the Alaska stuff in my boat with no windlass, older electronics, and no auto pilot. Probably, but I don't think I'd be doing 100 mile days without being 100% worn out.

Glad you are enjoying your trip. I like being with my lovely bride, but some of my most memorable adventures have been alone. Thanks for the really great trip reports. They really will be read for many years to come.

Little Joe doesn’t have a windlass, he has a home made pulley system that he uses out of the cockpit. Depth sounder as long as it gives you the bottom should work, maps navionics on a tablet, no auto pilot you will be tired after a day, no radar stay out of the fog.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
Tony Ferris wrote:

Little Joe doesn’t have a windlass, he has a home made pulley system that he uses out of the cockpit. Depth sounder as long as it gives you the bottom should work, maps navionics on a tablet, no auto pilot you will be tired after a day, no radar stay out of the fog.

Sound advice from Jody & Tony, we did our first 2 trips without an autopilot & 3 without windless & Mike as Jody said, didn’t have a windless this year. The older electronics are still ok, especially if you have a iPad or iPhone with Navionics as a back up. Personally, I prefer the iPad with Navionics to my new Raymarine axiom chart plotter. That said, as I’ve gotten older, I’d really miss the windless & the autopilot essential for me now & perhaps the windless essential too with my 25 # anchor & 50 feet of chain.

I do hope you can make Alaska at least once. For those who like the water, wildlife & small isolated towns with their unique people & have a adventurous spirit it’s hard to beat.

Jay
jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few photos.

Jay and Mike with the bear.

Jay in Tracy arm.

Closeup

jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied a filter to this one just to see what would happen.

ChrisMcBride

City/Region: Shoreline
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Lil Teal
Photos: Lil Teal
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody, you did a great job capturing just how huge those floating ice burgs are! The Hunky Dory photographs well with its big blue lettering across the side. Love it!
Tony Ferris

City/Region: Mead, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I could do things as is with a tablet. I could probably buy some maps for my newer chart plotter. (I have two since I never removed the old one.) It's just a small 4-5" screen, but has all I need. I've used it at Lake Powell for several years. My radar is 2000 vintage Furuno. I've never had much need for it where I've been, which as you know is about 99% Lake Powell.

Nice photos Jody! You going to Powell this year? I am going to try to get there in Sept or Oct, but I have some other issues that may change that.
jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Ferris wrote:
Nice photos Jody! You going to Powell this year? I am going to try to get there in Sept or Oct, but I have some other issues that may change that.

It would be October if the ramps allow for it.

jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay at the South Sawyer Glacier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftar7ZUfL-4
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
Jay at the South Sawyer Glacier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftar7ZUfL-4

Jody, amazing you got that on video & the close up at just the right time without knowing what was going to happen

Jay
jkidd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pure luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: