The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

generator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Roger.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken (B~C):

I posted some questions on the Honda 2000 website*

Looks like we can tap right into the filtered gas source at the Racor filter body and supply the generator though a simple fuel line and a Honda Harmony II fuel cap drilled out for an inlet with the appropriate barb fitting and gaskets.

The most knowledgeable person posting over there said that his tests showed that the internal fuel pump in the generator would lift fuel about six feet at sea level, and we only have about 3 feet to contend with.

We will probably want to have to have a shut off valve in line at the Racor and a standard marine quick disconnect fitting so that the fuel line assembly can be more neatly removed and stored out of sight when not in use. (The shut off valve is redundant with the quick disconnect, but a smart move just in case the disconnect's internal valve fails.)

We'll also need a primer bulb assembly to purge air out of the fuel line when starting to use the set up.

As always, it looks like a simple project up front! But don't they all!

Let me know when you get the Shasta Lake package and we can talk if you have questions!

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda_EU2000_Generators/message/864

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shasta Lake package...that's good.

Tapping in at the filter would be good, then a person could generate while under way. I was thinking about just unhooking one of the engine fuel lines at night but adding another line sounds more better.

CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C Ken, we're following your lead -- skipped the McCulloch cuz nobody had any responses on them...found a Honda EU1000i today and now we just gotta get a boat to put it in! Mr. Green wanted it mostly for insurance of having battery power Thumbs Up
B~C

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you check out the internet deal at Wise sales? I was looking at the 1000 watt model and the specs show it putting out the same DC amps as the 2k model. That 1k should be a dandy, we went for the extra watts to push a space heater in our jumbo Wallasless boat, heat, we need heat. Having juice on demand will be nice, just think, coffee maker, microwave, TV, hot tub..well..I may have to wait on the hot tub untill I get the slide out built
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Yamaha 1000 Watt generator from Wise Yesterday. The reason for the Yamaha was because it is lighter than the Honda. It is also quieter, smaller and came with battery cables. The down side is, it cost more. On a 16 foot I need to conserve as much as possible on space and weight.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
CatyMae n Steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did check out Wise sales, but lucked out on craigslist and found a feller that lives about a mile away who was selling one! Now, that's dandy, eh? It's in excellent shape, starts easily, runs shop vacs on a demo, has about 20 hours on it and is a couple years old. We should get some good chargin Very Happy out of it and I'm hopin it'll run one of those bitty microwaves they have at WallyWorld....now that'd be nice CoolSmile
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use the microwave on board as the ground plane for my two meter mag mount antenna...we thought we would use it, but (and DON'T TELL BILL FIERO) it does not really seem very useful on board. Our main use for the generator on Daydream is to run the hot water heater on the CD25. It takes about half an hour to get the water hot, and I guess it charges the batteries a bit too. Now, if you don't use the cockpit for anything else, I'll bet one of those Jacuzzi bathroom models would slide in crossways just fine...

B~C wrote:
did you check out the internet deal at Wise sales? I was looking at the 1000 watt model and the specs show it putting out the same DC amps as the 2k model. That 1k should be a dandy, we went for the extra watts to push a space heater in our jumbo Wallasless boat, heat, we need heat. Having juice on demand will be nice, just think, coffee maker, microwave, TV, hot tub..well..I may have to wait on the hot tub untill I get the slide out built

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished putting together a fuel line to supply the Honda generator with gas from the Racor filter and main tanks so as to not have to refill the generator's tank by hand for extended running.

Here's a link to that photo and the three that follow with a full explanation of how it's fabricated and works.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=SeaWolf&id=IM001658&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Joe.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger has fairly well nailed it. The problem is the lack of oxygen. The hemoglobin contained in the red blood cells has an affinity for oxygen, but has an even greater affinity (200% more) for carbon monoxide. Even 20PPM in the atmosphere over a long peroid of time will have some effect. I saw patients who were obtaining this level, living near freeways and spending long peroids commuting in heavy traffic. The "natural" release of carbon monoxide is slow (5 to 6 hours for) half of the CO bound in the red blood cells to be released. The first line of treatment is to give the patient oxygen--since the cause of the damage is a lack of oxygen (giving oxygen reduces the half life of the CO to 1.5 to 2.5 hours, and increased the oxygen levles in the red cells). Unfortunately there are only about 400 hyperbaric chambers in the United states, and finding one available at any one time or place can be a problem. (a hyperbaric chamber will decrease the half life of CO to about half an hour) Take the person to the nearest emergency room, get the oxygen started and then the ER doc will determine if a hyperbaric chamber is available. There is a older therapy which is being re-explored--that is giving an increased level of carbon dioxide, to promote increased ventilation. This was first noted in the early 20's--and fell out of favor, but recent studies show that this is of value.

There are acute problems as wall as the chronic problems. The acute problems are mostly neurological and cardiac. For example a person who has chronic lung disease or cardiac disease may be more susceptable to damage from acute CO poisoning. I had a situation where I had to enter an engine room where a diesel generator (yes Diesel does produce CO- but lower amounts than gas) had lost the hose from the exhaust and within several minutes I had a head ache and angina. (Knowing the reason, I got out of the engine room as soon as symptoms appeared)

All carbon monoxide detectors should be duration/concentration sensitative.

I refer to a web article which discusses detectors and CO in airplanes--more critical than boats, but very much the same scenerio:
http://www.avweb.com/news/aeromed/186016-1.html

Also one should test or replace the CO detector every year. Just pushing the "test" button, only tests the electrical circuit and battery, not the sensor. There are CO test kits, which cost about $3.50 (less in quanitity), which expose the detector or known levels of carbon monoxide. I also like a CO detector which has a read out--and is sensitative to low levels. Unfortunately the UL standards for CO detectors was "dumbed down" in 1998 because of too many "false alarms". Even 10 to 30 PPM (below what the usual detector registers) can be a problem for children. At 200 PPM one should evacuate a building immmediately--yet most detectors do not alarm for over 35 minutes at this level.

The CO Experts Model 2002 Low-Level CO Monitor, is the best for a boat, but is a bit over $100. The next best is the Kidde Nighthawk 900-0089 for $40 on up at you local big box store. Both of these give actual read outs in PPM, so you can check the levels.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
B~C

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Co, bad stuff
Joe, that's right smart looking set up.
CM&S, those little Hondas are a rare find on Craigs List, what a score.
The generator showed up today, splashed a bit of oil in it and fired it off, it works good. I will need to get a bigger boat if I want to mount it in the motor well.
CatyMae n Steve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
I will need to get a bigger boat if I want to mount it in the motor well.

Noooooo problem! Jeff's prob'ly waitin for your call!
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't call Jeff, call me in October or so!

B~C wrote:
I will need to get a bigger boat if I want to mount it in the motor well.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't a similar set-up be used on the Honda 2HP Outboard Motor? A few month's ago someone was looking for a way to extend the running time of the Honda small outboards. Use the cap and hose to hook-up to a 2 or 3 gal. remote tank.

Brent

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent-

Maybe....

The Honda generators (1000i and 2000i) have a fuel pump that will lift the fuel up to 6 feet in height.

Don't know if the 2 or 4 hp outboards have a pump or are gravity feed only.

If they don't, one could still use a gravity feed / siphon system providing the external tank was as high as or higher than the outboard tank.

The fellow that wanted to add the external tank was from the C-Dog site and wanted to use the tank in a scanoe (flat ended canoe) where the tank would be lower than the outboard tank.

One could still could pump it up by hand with the bulb to manually refill the o/b tank, however.

On the Yahoo Groups Honda 2000 Generator website, there's a discussion and a picture of how to use an electric pump to push the gas along from an external tank if you are using the generator, or, for that matter, have a 12 volt battery handy. Could be a real problem if the pressure was too much for the float valve, however. Might have to use the pump to refill the o/b tank periodically rather than use it as a continuous feed source.

Seems like there are always complications to what looks like a simple solution!

Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: