The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bilge pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pelican

City/Region: Port Townsend
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Bilge pump Reply with quote

I have two bilge pumps on my 2006 22’ cruiser. One is located far aft between the fuel tanks, one amidships just under the cabin door threshold. The aft pump comes on automatically as it should when rainwater fills the cockpit. My problem is that it comes on late. My boat’s in the water at Port Ludlow WA and when I step onboard after a rain, there’s 3-5 gallons sloshing around the floor of the cockpit. I’d like to make it come on earlier but don’t know how to make any adjustments, if any. The owners manual that came from C-Dory builder in Bellingham says there’s no float in the pump. Does anyone else have this problem? How to deal with it?

Thanks,
Tom
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your boat on the water. If it rains and fills the cockpit, the aft pump comes on and pumps the level down, but the cockpit slopes forward, leaving several inches of water against the cabin bulkhead.

In that position, most likely the water will stand forward in the cockpit, and should be pumped out by the midship bilge pump. That one may not be wired to come on automatically. Both should be switched to be either manually on, or automatically on, depending on which position you leave your switch.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pelican

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Harvey. Yes, that makes sense. Now I have to figure out how to wire that pump directly to the battery. Presently it only comes on when I switch it on, and continues running even after the bilge is dry, only turning off when I switch it off.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bilge pumps usually have multiple methods of being hooked up (along with accompanying extra wires). Look up the manual for your pump and be sure you understand how it is designed to be hooked up to the 12v system.
Griswold

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: LUCIDITY
Photos: LUCIDITY
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: bilge auto Reply with quote

3 wires, 3 way switch..... i just recently learned by replacing one of mine- love auto feature-
Pelican

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griswald, did you replace the switch or the pump?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelican wrote:
Thanks, Harvey. Yes, that makes sense. Now I have to figure out how to wire that pump directly to the battery. Presently it only comes on when I switch it on, and continues running even after the bilge is dry, only turning off when I switch it off.

Wiring direct to the battery is a preference. Since I do not store my boat on the water, I did not want the wiring set up that way, (I wanted to be able to kill ALL battery drain until I wanted something turned on, then I turn it on so I didn't have any parasitic drain.) you may choose different.

Depending on your pump, (an internal switch or not), there may be a third wire, (brown I believe) that goes to the Automatic Side of the power switch. I use that in the Auto position when crossing Juan de Fuca. Doesn't cost anything to have it in the Auto On position -- just in case. Shocked

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Griswold

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: LUCIDITY
Photos: LUCIDITY
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelican wrote:
Griswald, did you replace the switch or the pump?

I did replace both, I don't have moorage but did set up second battery for my bilge and crab davit. after removing the old pump I found the float was stuck and old fish scales glued it down Surprised
Dwilly

City/Region: Willamette Valley
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Sea Heron
Photos: Sea Heron
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CDory 22 1989 vintage doesn't have any bilge pump and I am adding one between the fuel tanks, does anyone have a good photo of where that discharge port should be placed? And because my boat is so old, it doesn't have a location for a 2nd bilge pump near the galley, is one suitable enough?

Thanks for any help on this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: