The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Location of autopilot components
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is Seastar the hoses and fittings are proprietary and I had to buy them from Seastar. I don’t know if the Baystar is the same way. I took my hoses to a hose company in Salt Lake and was told they couldn’t match them.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the standard hard plastic 3/8, then a 9/16 fine thread compression will work. But your T also has to be 9/16 fine thread as opposed to 1/4 pipe. Colby
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try the 3/8 compression nuts without the inner nipple in the fitting. Garmin recommends all the components be 1,000 psi rated. I’m not sure that’s the case but I don’t see any other alternatives. Thanks again. Ken
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, while most of my lines are the Seastar or Parker (who makes the SeaStar lines) 5/16", I have some 3/8 hard plastic shorter lines in the system between the cockpit helm and it's shut off valves. The 9/16" fine thread compression nuts I bought at my local hardware store, and have worked just fine. SeaStar will not recommend using the 3/8 hard line anymore for outboards, due to folks not properly torquing the nuts and getting leaks. The line itself I believe is actually rated at 1000 psi, although now they say 500 psi. I used a little more of the 3/8 line when I had my autopilot system in Midnight Flyer (CD-22), but when I moved it over to C-Traveler (CD-25), since I had enough of the 5/16" flexible line, I only used some of the 3/8" line between the Tee's and autopilot smart pump, and the cockpit helm to the shutoff valves there. I have had no problems in that area of my steering... If you already have some 5/16" flexible hose, and need end fittings for that, you can get some field fittings to install yourself, p/n 2TFMS-6-5B. However, they are a bit of a bitch to get on, as they go on tight. Colby
kennharriet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much discussion with Seastar and Garmin I bit the bullet and will upgrade to the new Seastar hose that is 5/16” or 7.9mm ID, 1,000 psi. They said the autopilot will function with the older Baystar tubing which is .21” or 5.5 mm, however it would not perform as it should with the limited hydraulic flow. More than I ever wanted to know 🙂
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to bust SeaStar or Garmin's bubble, but what is the inner diameter of the connectors? In any case, I think you'll be happier with the more flexible 5/16" hose. Colby
kennharriet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, I’ll let you know when I get it. I would have just had everything made up locally but the only hose they had was 1/4” ID, 6,000 psi. My plan now is to make the T connections inside the starboard hatch in the Vberth. I mounted the pump in the hatch also. I’m trying to clean up the rats nest of wiring and hydraulic hose mess behind the helm somewhat. Ken
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I’m trying to clean up the rats nest of wiring and hydraulic hose mess behind the helm somewhat.

Ken,I did the same thing on Midnight Flyer when I installed the autopilot in her. It can be daunting! I'm currently in the process of replacing all the hose on C-Traveler. I've pulled the old and awaiting the new. Should be here sometime next week. In the process, I saved 13 of the field connectors I mentioned earlier. I was a little leary about cutting that 1000 psi 5/16" SeaStar hose earlier, but the field connections seemed to work well. And it was actually easier to install them on the newer Parker hose than the older SeaStar hose. (Apparently when the previous owner had a shop install the cockpit helm, they used Parker Hose, and the field fittings as well. I've heard Parker makes the SeaStar Hose and just prints the SeaStar name on it. However, the Parker hose seemed to be easier to install the field fittings on...) I still haven't visually seen where my restriction(s) were causing for hard steering, but guess I'll see if the new 1500 psi hose resolves that issue. Perhaps it was with some of the tee connectors that had a smaller ID. But the end connectors on the hose, be it the field fittings or originals, are also relatively small, so perhaps that might be part of the problem with all the sectional hose runs. I have Shipyard Island Marina making up the new hose for me, and they use Parker. And a little cheaper than I could find the hose anywhere else. In the end I'll have a total of 72' of hose, with 20 connectors. (10 separate hoses of various length.) With the final cost around $560. Colby
kennharriet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is about the same cost for the Seastar/Telex kit and necessary hose pairs I ordered from WM…BOAT! I’m planning to install the shadow drive so hopefully it will all come together as some items are back ordered. Headed to Prince Rupert on May 19. 🙂
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Garmin's Shadow Drive. I pulled mine out. While it worked on Midnight Flyer, with the stiff steering issues I've had on C-Traveler, it hasn't worked properly on this boat. But even if I get that issue resolved, I'm going to leave the Shadow Drive off. The way it works, if you have your autopilot working, if you need to steer around something in an emergency, say a floating log, or other obstruction, the shadow drive will automatically pause the a/p until you have held a straight course for a set amount of time, at which point it will reengage your autopilot in heading hold on that heading. I would prefer that the autopilot go back to the original heading or route/track course that it was following. Without the shadow drive, you can still steer around somethiing in an emergency, and until you hit the standby button, the autopilot will just continue to try and steer you back, but it won't overpower you as long as you continue to steer. So if you use the Shadow Drive, just don't forget to re-engage your course if you were on a route or track. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: