The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Location of autopilot components
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Location of autopilot components Reply with quote

I just ordered a Garmin Reactor 40 auto pilot. I’m researching the installation and it seems the space available on Lochsa will make it challenging. Where are others placing the components, particularly the pump? Any pics also appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ken
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

Take a look at the photos of all AP components in our photo album under Customizations and Additions. Rogers Marine in Portland did all the work and all items are installed nicely in out-of-the-way places. The Pump is located on the Starboard side, cabin / cockpit bulkhead and I cannot hear it while in use.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ken,
Look at the embedded album of Midnight Flyer for my Garmin autopilot install on it. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2925&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php I placed the pump in the V-Berth, just in front of the helm bulkhead. The compass unit underneath the center dash, and the controlling head on the bulkhead just left of the helm. I put the shadow drive on the cabin wall next to the throttle. I moved this system to my 25, and installed the pump on the back bulkhead under the sink. The shadow drive is also installed on the starboard hull under the sink, but doesn't work very well, and if it did, I'd prefer the boat return to course or heading selected afterwards, so I have disabled it. (The shadow drive works when you turn the helm in an emergency, but cutting out the autopilot, but once you maintain a heading, the autopilot connects to that heading. With or without the shadow drive you can still turn the boat in an emergency, but the autopilot will continually try to correct back to the heading or course you were on until you select standby. I prefer the boat go back on selected heading or course after I steer around a log or obstruction...)Colby
kennharriet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Nice installs and some great ideas🙂
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pump and control is under the captains seat and the compass is in the v birth inside where the foam floatation would be. I installed a 4” deck plate to put it in there. There are pictures in my album. Oh and the shadow drive sensor is by the throttle.

SounderSolutions

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Frequent-C
Photos: FREQUENT-C
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reactor 40 Reply with quote

I installed one recently on my TC. Best advice I have for you is to put the CCU as far forward as and as close to the waterline and centerline as possible. I put mine under the berth stbd side near centerline. The original location was on the waterline at the pivot point. Big difference in how the steering reacts compared to the more forward and centerline position.
Plan ahead to order the CCU extension cable. I was only able to get to the pivot point with the included cable length. Build from the kicker forward to make sure you have plenty of cable for the other components, steering tube to ECU, ECU to GHD, ECU to CCU and ECU to NMEA 2000.

For the throttle control, it warns you not to have any other part of the sensing wire in contact with the spark plug wire. Believe it. I thought I was far enough away from the plug and zip-tied the remaining wire to the plug wire. Causes the throttle control to fail at the most inopportune times.

Other than those lessons learned on the install, I really like the unit so far.

Frequent-C (2006 Tomcat 24)
Tired Again (2011 Thundjet Luxor)
SounderSolutions

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reactor 40 Reply with quote

I installed one recently on my TC. Best advice I have for you is to put the CCU as far forward as and as close to the waterline and centerline as possible. I put mine under the berth stbd side near centerline. The original location was on the waterline at the pivot point. Big difference in how the steering reacts compared to the more forward and centerline position.
Plan ahead to order the CCU extension cable. I was only able to get to the pivot point with the included cable length. Build from the kicker forward to make sure you have plenty of cable for the other components, steering tube to ECU, ECU to GHD, ECU to CCU and ECU to NMEA 2000.

For the throttle control, it warns you not to have any other part of the sensing wire in contact with the spark plug wire. Believe it. I thought I was far enough away from the plug and zip-tied the remaining wire to the plug wire. Causes the throttle control to fail at the most inopportune times.

Other than those lessons learned on the install, I really like the unit so far.
kennharriet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounder- For clarification, I am not sure what is meant by the boats pivot point@?
itiming

City/Region: Iron River
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Obsession
Photos: Obsession
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these two video's helpful. Showing an install on a pilot house Parker boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Qy6SoNOok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ymEvjlIuc

Which pump did you decide on? I am also looking to add auto-pilot and wonder if the 1.2 liter pump is enough. (have twin 40 hp w an 8.34 oz SeaStar single cylinder)?

Obsession 2008, 22 Cruiser, Twin Honda 40hp

[/img]http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album3157/C_Dory_ObsessionLacLaBelle.thumb.jpeg[img]
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, the options with Garmin's smart pump are expensive, but well worth it. I initially had the cheapest Raymarine unit, on my 22, but that couldn't hold a course on anything but flat smooth water with no wind. The smart pump can troll backwards on a track if you want it too! Colby
kennharriet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, I was considering the 1.0 l pump. I talked to a couple different Garmin tech reps that recommended the 1.2 l pump that I purchased. They advised that it should do everything wanted on a 22’ slow or fast in rough water so hopefully that was a good choice.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 22 has the 1.2 liter pump I haven’t found any issues.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found what my first system was. It was the RayMarine ACU 100, and only had a .5L pump. That pump ended up being worthless. My guess is that the 1.2L would suffice. None the less, Garmin's Smart Pump does a great job with it's variable flow rate. Colby
SounderSolutions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennharriet wrote:
Sounder- For clarification, I am not sure what is meant by the boats pivot point@?

The pivot point is that point where you will get no closer and no further from a point on the water (set and drift = 0). On my TC255 it is just behind the helm chair. For example, when entering or leaving port, if I need to make a sharp turn and there is a dock end to the side of the turn, I will wait until the obstacle is just past my helm chair before making the turn. This way I will ensure that I do not hit the obstacle. Now wind and current can throw this all off and you must plan for the conditions.

When you drive a car, you already account for the pivot point. When you hit the curb or if you swing into the other lane when turning, you turned in front of or too far behind the pivot point.

Hope this helps.
kennharriet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can any of you tell me what components you used from the pump to “
T” into the hydraulic steering tubing. I have Baystar hydraulic steering. I had some custom hose made up from the Garmin pump which is 5 ORB to a “T”. I am having trouble finding the correct compression fitting to use between the “T” and the Baystar tubing which is 3/8” OD. Any of the compression fittings I can find have a nipple in the fitting that is too large to fit inside the
Baystar tubing, even though the feral and nut fit the outside. Thanks again in advance. Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: