The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Why does my steering stiffen up at speed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Check to be sure the new cable push pull steering is a "non feed back system". What this means is that the pressure on the cable is not pushed back on the helm. If you have a NF system, it will be much easier to steer. A motor that small should don't be an issue. The NF systems are a few dollars more expensive, but well worth it. The helm itself is less than $150.

There may be something binding when the boat comes up to speed, and pressure is on the steering tube. Even if greased--it may pay to put further grease, until if is oozing out of the end of the tube. Then with steering disconnected, try turning back and forth--see if any place is binding.

It's has to be something like this. It's a bit weird that in a static situation it doesn't do it. Then again, motors are much harder to turn when underway. I sort of suspected the pivot tube on the engine, because they can get corroded and seize, but I don't think that is it since there are two different engines involved. There is a reason it has a new cable - not a coincidence in my opinion. I would be taking it all apart back there.
Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I tell if my steering cable is of the “non-feedback” type?
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roamad wrote:

The way it was explained to me when I had it installed, with a non-feedback system, you eliminate the torque from the outboard, so if you let go of the steering wheel, the boat is still going straight, more or less. Without the non-feedback, the torque will cause the steering wheel to turn immediately, so you always have to keep your hands firmly on the steering wheel to keep the boat from turning.

For me, this was true and very obvious. Do you have to keep your hands firmly on the wheel to keep your boat from turning?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnr wrote:
Roamad wrote:

The way it was explained to me when I had it installed, with a non-feedback system, you eliminate the torque from the outboard, so if you let go of the steering wheel, the boat is still going straight, more or less. Without the non-feedback, the torque will cause the steering wheel to turn immediately, so you always have to keep your hands firmly on the steering wheel to keep the boat from turning.

For me, this was true and very obvious. Do you have to keep your hands firmly on the wheel to keep your boat from turning?

Isn't the purpose of the trim tab on the lower unit to counteract the motor torque loads on the steering? On my boat you're supposed to adjust the tab until the steering forces (left and right) are the same.
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat was very hard to turn, at speed, even with a new cable. I did some research and found my engine was mounted way too low on the transom.

Basically you want the anti-cavitation plate to be just out of the water at speed. Getting it splashed is ok, but out of the main flow.

I ended up raising the engine 2 mounting holes, which did lessen the steering effort at speed. I could actually stand to raise it one more hole.
Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, yesterday I greased the pivots on the transom mount and that seemed to help. I also experimented with trimming the motor up and that helped a bit too. So between the two, I’m going to monitor for a while and see how things go, then turn to the steering cable if I’m still having issues. Thanks everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: