View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Furuno Radar Reply with quote

My CD25 came to me with a Furuno 1621 Mark-2 radar unit installed. I see on the Furuno site that this particular model is no longer listed. In what ways is it comparable to the 1623 model that is current?

I had just bought a Garmin 2006C for the CD22, and kept the unit for use on the new one. Will the Garmin GPS and the Furuno radar talk to each other?

Pretty broad questions, I realize, but I don't know a thing about this radar business, and I have not yet had a chance to do much studying. So anything you can offer to get me headed in the right direction will help.

Thanks.

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up NMEA in your RADAR, GPS manuals, and on the web - I'm far from an expert in this area, but I believe any communication between these two devices will use this protocol.

Exactly what, if any data can be sent back and forth is a big unknown to me as well - my Garmin and JRC had some capability in this area, but I never hooked them up.

Islander

City/Region: Channel Islands Harbor
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Islander
Photos: Islander
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

To expand upon Bill's input, the units should in theory be able to communicate via the NMEA protocol. My boat has , a JRC 1500 Radar and Standard Horizon 150 GPS. I hooked up the NMEA interface and wala! They do indeed share data. This allows waypoints from the GPS to appear on my RADAR display, as well as show Time to Go and Distance remaining. Very nice indeed.

As for hooking up the wires I simply matched the grey wires to the grey wires and the yellow to the yellow. Data + to Data + (yellow).

In any event make sure both units have a NMEA output and what version they support.

Ron
Islander 22 Crusier
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have been doing a little looking around, and asked the same questions on the MSN Furuno Group site, and it looks like the NMEA 0813 protocol is supported by both units. As for the version number, I don't know about the Furuno because I can't find it in the book, but the Garmin uses version 2.3 for whatever that's worth. I guess maybe Furuno would be the best source for the version question. So far, all I know for sure is that I need a $35 cable from Furuno to try it.

Maybe I won't even bother linking the two. It would be cool to have the waypoints plotted on the radar display so I can see what's in the way and get a feel for where things are, but the nav data is displayed much better on the Garmin. What other reasons can you think of to talk me into hooking them up?
Islander

City/Region: Channel Islands Harbor
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Islander
Photos: Islander
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I agree that the Garmin presents the data better than the RADAR. That is cretainly true for my JRC RADAR.

I do REALLY to have the way point on the RADAR screen. For that reason alone I would hook it up. It gives me a nice visual as to where the waypoint is; i.e. distance and bearing; as well as showing me what is between myself and the waypoint. Being a visual type guy I like the data presented that way.

Ron
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I concur with Ron, when you're really on the radar it's nice to have the waypoint "lollipop" up on the screen (or a track to it if its out of range). And, depending on how you set up your chartplotter (like "course up" for instance) the waypoint on the radar gives you a better (for most foks) indication of where you are in relationship to the waypoint and course. Corn-fused?

Anyway, there's nothing spectacular about the Furuno cable...except the price. NMEA is just one wire for data and one for ground; sometimes data ground, sometimes electrical ground (like your Garmin) but still just two wires unless you're using multiple channels. They should be whipped with a noodle (or device of your choosing) for selling a simple NMEA cable for that price!

www.marinautboats.com
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Right... Reply with quote

A $35 cable? Right......

I have the same radar but also a Furuno color DF/FF GPS.

I bought a cable, actually 2 cables. I ordered a cable from the FF to the radar and received 2 cables that I have to splice together.

You would think that I'd have this done since I haven't been fishing but I have been too busy catching up on my honey do list. Might even get the lawn mowed next week hehe.

As far as having the way points on the radar I wanted it for one simple reason. I want to know that a target is a buoy without hitting one to find out. It was pretty interesting being in the fog on the kicker when my main motor failed last year. It is amazing how the fog plays tricks on you. Trust me, you will want every tool at your disposal....

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: