View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:12 am    Post subject: WARNING Raymarine Quantum 2 Radar Positioning Reply with quote

I recently had my Raymarine electronics updated, including the 15 year old Raydome 2K changed out to the new Quantum 2 Raydome. Seems lioke it should be an easy switch since the mounting bolt pattern is the same for both. Easily done . . . . UNTIL I was having my 2022 Vessel Safety Inspection done and the CGAux Inspector asked to see my Anchor/steaming light in operation. (I do not keep it installed all the time because it is too tall to get in and out of the storage barn. SO , , , , I grabbed it and climbed up to mount it in the standard, stock mounting position for a 2005 22 Cruiser, up center and just aft of the brow, just in front of the radar pedestal, which is where I have had it work since I have owned the boat. WELL NOW, it doesn't fit. BECAUSE the new Raydome sites forward about 4 inches farther that the old dome. Shocked Twisted Evil

So, a search for a non plastic mount base for the Perko light in a vertical instead of an aft slope yields ZERO possibilities. Not even Perko competition makes one. BUT the existing light upright fits a 1/2 inch conduit bender and a temporary remedy was had.

CAUTION >> The new Quantum sits forward almost 4 inches farther than the old radar. Just incase your white light isn't up on your radar arch.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I just got my new Raymarine System including the Raymarine Quantum 2 Radar. I checked to see that the bolts will fit and they do, but the dome is larger than the 2005 unit. I have a rear radar arch with the anchor light behind the radar. I will have to put the new dome up there to see if it fits. I would hate to drill new holes to make it fit.

I have installed the two new chart plotters, one 9" and one 7" as well as the new Autopilot control panel, all fit beautifully. I haven't pulled any wire yet as it is still too cold to do so.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: WARNING Raymarine Quantum 2 Radar Positioning Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
... So, a search for a non plastic mount base for the Perko light in a vertical instead of an aft slope yields ZERO possibilities. Not even Perko competition makes one. ... ]

Turn the existing mount 180 deg?

Might look a little funny, but it might get the job done.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING Raymarine Quantum 2 Radar Positioning Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
hardee wrote:
... So, a search for a non plastic mount base for the Perko light in a vertical instead of an aft slope yields ZERO possibilities. Not even Perko competition makes one. ... ]

I didn't think of that.

If you are thinking the ScanStrut mount, the hole for the wires would then be in front, and the top shelf on that mount would have to be re drilled as those bolts are not a perfect rectangle. So the way it is now, if you look too close, it looks a little funny anyway. Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING Raymarine Quantum 2 Radar Positioning Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
ssobol wrote:
hardee wrote:

I didn't think of that.

If you are thinking the ScanStrut mount, the hole for the wires would then be in front, and the top shelf on that mount would have to be re drilled as those bolts are not a perfect rectangle. So the way it is now, if you look too close, it looks a little funny anyway. Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

I meant reverse the mount for the light, not the radar.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted my new Raymarine Quatum 2 radar dome on the radar arch today and it fits fine. I may have to add a spacer or move the solar panels I have on the arch as there is about a 3/4" gap caused by the panels. The radar dome is larger than the 2005 model and a lot lighter. There should be no problem with the anchor light as it is far enough back on the mount. One nice thing is that the connecting cables are easy to remove. I need to remove the radar dome to fit it in my shed, so now I can take it completely off and store it inside, something I might do on long road trips to make the boat lower and more aerodynamic on long road trips.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reversing the light mount would have put 2 holes aft and 1 at the forward point (It is teardrop shaped) and then it would have about a 10 degree forward rake. I could probably have lived with that. The light post is " adjusted" now. But if I make a change that would be a good way to go.

I usually cover the black plastic collar with Rescue Tape, as I am generally out for more that one day and I want to keep the water out of that upside down cup with the electric pins in it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: