The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2006 Cape Cruiser cabin to cockpit sole joint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cjames

City/Region: St. Pete
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: CJames
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: 2006 Cape Cruiser cabin to cockpit sole joint Reply with quote

I have a new to me 2006 CC. It looks like the stuff filling the joint between cockpit sole and cabin could use some love, a few "cracks". Does anyone know/recommend what product to use here to fill this joint? Don't think it is original, but the current filler looks like a flexible sanded grout. It does look like it is too wide and deep to use exterior or marine caulk.
One of many projects to get this good looking boat looking good and back on the water soon.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same year/model Cape Cruiser. I re-caulked the joint between the cockpit sole and the cabin bulkhead last year. I don't know if the caulk which I removed (as much as I could) was original or not, but it was cracked in a few places and had an orange peel surface look to it. I cut and scraped carefully with a box cutter tool, then cleaned it up with Acetone. I applied a caulk using 3M 4000 UV: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066991/ . Seemed to work good....

The other big reason for doing this is, I believe water was getting under the cockpit sole through this joint and eventually finding it's way under the cabin floor...
Chris

ATPNW

City/Region: Covington
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Fellowship
Photos: Fellowship
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this the other day and used 3m 4000 as well. Ive heard people recommend life calk/seal too.
CC Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! 3 2006 CC posts in a row! Very Happy
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I used to own one. Does this count as 4? Laughing

I don't have anything to add on the question posed, however.

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Cc23 Reply with quote

Yes we have hull 3 You must caulk the seem between cockpit and cabin usually every few years.Otherwise it seems water gets in the cabin . I’ve used boaters caulk and 4200 with some success .I also put in a drain hole by the rear bilge pump Also put in a bilge pump in v-berth check my photo album I still love the boat .
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Cjames

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!
Cjames

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject: CC clean up continues on cockpit sole -cabin joint. Reply with quote

So I have successfully removed the nasty chalk (probably 3m 4000) from this joint. I see that there is a small maybe 1/8th inch gap between the cockpit floor and the “wall” of the cabin in this gap space where I removed the chalk.does anyone know if I can run a filler of thicken epoxy in this joint? Or does it need to remain flexible. It seems that it would be better to have a permanent barrier to prevent any water ingress beneath the sole, especially since my boat - hull #22-appears to be foam filled from bow to stern. My husband has successfully cut 2 access ports in v berth and removed foam to use this area for storage, most likely several 2 gallon water containers to get some weight in the bow. It was a huge job, I think he got 4-5 kitchen trash bags of foam out so far.
So has anyone epoxied up this gap at the front of the cockpit floor? I would refill the large gap with 3M 4000 when the epoxy has cured.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: CC clean up continues on cockpit sole -cabin joint. Reply with quote

Cjames wrote:
So I have successfully removed the nasty chalk (probably 3m 4000) from this joint. I see that there is a small maybe 1/8th inch gap between the cockpit floor and the “wall” of the cabin in this gap space where I removed the chalk.does anyone know if I can run a filler of thicken epoxy in this joint? Or does it need to remain flexible. It seems that it would be better to have a permanent barrier to prevent any water ingress beneath the sole, especially since my boat - hull #22-appears to be foam filled from bow to stern. ...
So has anyone epoxied up this gap at the front of the cockpit floor? I would refill the large gap with 3M 4000 when the epoxy has cured.

I would refill this joint with something flexible. The boat can flex some and there is expansion and contraction of the boat due to temperature changes. My 22 has noticeable dimensional changes between hot and cold weather. For instance, I can only get the ceiling shelf at the front of the cabin out after the boat has sat in the sun on a hot day for awhile.

You might also want to seal the seam on the inside cabin side as well.
CC Rider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I have successfully removed the nasty chalk (probably 3m 4000) from this joint. I see that there is a small maybe 1/8th inch gap between the cockpit floor and the “wall” of the cabin in this gap space where I removed the chalk.does anyone know if I can run a filler of thicken epoxy in this joint? Or does it need to remain flexible. It seems that it would be better to have a permanent barrier to prevent any water ingress beneath the sole, especially since my boat - hull #22-appears to be foam filled from bow to stern. My husband has successfully cut 2 access ports in v berth and removed foam to use this area for storage, most likely several 2 gallon water containers to get some weight in the bow. It was a huge job, I think he got 4-5 kitchen trash bags of foam out so far.

I had thought about filling the gap with thickened epoxy as well. My thoughts were along the lines of ssbol's response - that it likely needed to be a flexible joint. Curious about other's thoughts on this..... oh, btw, on a 23 there is a glassed-in cabin sole/floor, so it is not possible to seal the rear bulkhead joint from inside.

I also just recently cut access hatches in the V-berth and dug out a seemingly endless supply of expanding foam. It was interesting to me that even though there was some water in the bottom of the boat, the foam that was in contact with the water didn't absorb very far....maybe an inch. Since I assume that the same foam is under the cockpit floor, (I have not cut an inspection hole in the cockpit floor yet), this was a bit of a relief.. I have cut an inspection hole in the floor of the cabin, back by the door, and there is no foam in that cavity. I did find a hard swirly-colored and cracked "filler" that I think was leftover colored resin that the builders had just poured in before laying down the cabin floor.

One thing I did do, was to remove the dodgy plastic plugs where the builder had injected the foam, and epoxied/glassed over the holes. (In the cabin bulkhead, and in the cockpit - not necessary in the V-berth).
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSOBOL is spot on... The boat hull will move and the aft cabin bulkhead will move, due to normal flexing, while underway, or trailering. On top of this, there is normal expansion and contraction. Your thickened epoxy will last a show while, and then the issue mention above will cause eventual separation.
The best corrective measure is to use a reliable, flexible caulk. Of course the caulk that should never be consider for any boat project is silicone.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: