View previous topic :: View next topic  
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: GREAT LOOP OBSERVATIONS BY CAT O' MINE CREW Reply with quote

This is the outline of the briefing we gave this morning at the Hontoon Hoot on our observations regarding C-Dorys doing the Great Loop in one way Segments. We hope it's helpful in your cruising plans!

Averages:
Median looper boat per AGLCA is 40-43 ft past 5 yrs.
To be ‘comfortable for a year on a boat’ with guest qtrs desirable (not often used)
Avg 1 year (2 yr for 25%), follows the seasons.

AGLCA rules: earn a gold burgee by ‘crossing your wake’, no time limit, honor system.
Fly a white burgee to advertise you are ‘in progress’ to get some attention.
Platinum burgee for over one completed Loop.

No portages allowed, you must be captain of your own boat (but can include your multiple boats).

You must be a member to buy the burgee or follow their forum, but it is expensive @ $65/year. Consider membership for six months prior and during your Loop instead. If a member, one of your most valuable resources is tapping the ‘Harbor Host’ network. They will often help you get to the grocery store, West Marine, repair network, etc. Many are Planners and love to talk about YOUR experiences to date.

Winter 2022 Ft Myers AGLCA Rendezvous updates:
The COVID boat buyers crisis continues, thousands of rich Yankees and others who could suddenly work from anywhere bought a big boat, brought it to Florida to a marina, and are still here today. It’s a Boat Sellers Market of a lifetime. You may need a marina reservation at least six months in advance in South Florida

You may not be able to insure any boat over 15 feet over your last one or a boat over 20 years or 50 feet long or over 500 HP due to market losses, esp on older boats.

How much does loop cruising cost?
Marinas, vs food & drink, vs boat fuel are always the top 3 per AGLCA depending on your boat and your style.
60ft Motoryachts on plane vs trawlers @ 7 MPH jogging speed vs trailer boats that get 3MPG.
Publix and making all meals and our wine on the boat is same for us vs home, $6k/mo. (Johnathan and crew on Salty does much better than us.)
Mom & pop marinas that cater to <30 ft outboard boats avg $1.50-$2.25/ft/night, 2X for bigger marinas with 50A shore power.

What’s the best guidebooks on the route?
We find that Waterway Guide online and Skipper Bob guides are all you need. We also use a print WWG book, but no matter if it’s out of date with the online version. Write reviews on e-WWG! Ted Stehle will email you with any questions. Six year old marina reviews on Active Captain are useless. Other boats can tell you about what’s ahead. Many loopers who are still working (from the boat) have installed high gain directional antennas and modems and will gladly share with you as a guest if you had an urgent need. Marina wi-fi quality varies widely. Write about it in your WWG marina review!

What are the minimum e-suite requirements for safety?
Many current loopers forgo radar in favor of a large bright newer tablet running AQUAMAP
http://globalaquamaps.com/

or NAVIONICS
https://www.navionics.com/usa/

or both because they are so inexpensive ($50 or so, AQUAMAPS has a free version) compared to the “big 5” displays and expensive chips. Tablets are not as bright (half the nits) but in a pilothouse MAY work fine. Radar, CHIRP sono, FLIR, cameras and other ‘visual’ images can not be transmitted on a N2K 5 pin backbone because they require the proprietary ethernet like connectors from each display maker so need a big 5 display. AIS tx/receive sees around corners (unlike radar) and gives the NAME of your target vessel on a N2K network so you can hail vessels by name on VHF. Any brand black box AIS is likely to work with any other brand. Obligatory on the inland rivers and helpful elsewhere.

CON: Radar is another safety tool and if you want it you should get it. When our Garmin HDX 24 dies we will replace it. See PANBO.COM for in depth discussions of all your options and costs.

Full disclosure, we have 40 years experience with Garmin, are very familiar with the displays, and at our age are resistant to change, in that “ALL change is BAD, even Change for the Better is BAD.” Your Mileage May Differ.

NEBO is a free smart phone based app that shows nearby Loop boats (with the AGLCA icon) as well as non Looper NEBO boats that you can text message. Has Auto Logging feature. Fixed optional Tracker features auto start/stop for $11/month, suspend subscription anytime, $69 AGLCA price, easy install onto to Tach 12V+ bolt.

Why is a non-oversize trailer boat so ideal for segment Looping?
If you can live on your trailer boat comfortably for a few weeks (or a few months) you can easily trailer 500 miles a day, and in just three days be 1,500 miles from home at a very minimal cost compared to moving (or storing) a 40 foot typical looper boat.

We have posted this listing of what we find to be the best TC255 launch ramps with a marina nearby that offers transient slips (in case you arrive or depart late) and reasonable rig storage options nearby; see gulfcoast john Dec 4 listing:
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=29550&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

The best public transportation app we have found is
Rome2rio.com

When we cruised the western Erie canal over six weeks this summer (at 4.6 miles per day, equivalent to a four year Loop with a weather day every fourth day) we chose from these options from the west end at Tonawanda back to Clay (Pirates Cove Marina, very highly recommended):

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Tonawanda/Clay

We took a new Trailways coach for $36 each one way, FORGET Enterprise these days.

Which telecom has the best loop coverage?
We find Verizon has 95-99% email coverage (not HD movie streaming, for that a direct connection to a satellite which will do nicely about 3-5 years from now). Worse on the inland rivers and off the Everglades. Other boats can tell you about what’s ahead. Many loopers who are still working (from the boat) have installed high gain directional antennas and cell modems and will gladly share with you as a guest if you have an urgent need. Marina wi-fi quality varies widely. Write about it in your WWG marina review!

What about grocery shopping and doing laundry on the loop?
Stores and laundromats are often within walking distance of most marinas. You can easily plan for using WWG and Google Maps. Locals and AGLCA Harbor Hosts are so nice they may well offer you a ride to WalMart. Always fly your white ‘in progress’ AGLCA burgee (flag)...you won’t believe how many boating folks know what it is and really want to do the same someday!

What is an easy memory aid for dealing with the towboats that say ‘see you on the one’ or ‘pass me on the two’ whistle signals that vary for meeting head-on vs passing another vessel that confuses Colby so much?
REGARDLESS of whether you are meeting head-on or wanting to pass the other vessel, steer your boat to the RIGHT for ONE whistle and to the LEFT for two whistle encounters of both types. If you had a watch, the ‘ONE’ numeral would be to the right. Does that help?

Dealing with marinas…what is your LOA?
Boat builders define LOA as the hull length not counting bolted on appurtenances such as engine brackets and the engines and cowlings bolted to them, or the anchor pulpit etc for obvious competitive reasons. However, a Dockmaster with a 100 foot dock is trying to figure out how many boats she can squeeze in there and needs your length including everything. So we may be a 25.5 or a 28 footer depending on the situation, and so should you.

What’s the best anchor overall for the Loop for a trailer boat?
One that can pierce through the invasive weeds in upstate NY, Canada and Lake Champlain that are always present in all waters up to about 10 feet deep. Also grabs cuts in smooth granite in Canada and does fine in Florida sand and Chesapeake mud. We like the Manson Supreme 25# (SS because it is pretty). Your bow jewelry should always be pretty. (just kidding).

What’s the most common error among Planners?
OVER planning. It’s not hard to do the loop. Amazon prime will get you what you want waiting at the next marina the day after tomorrow or sooner. You are not out of sight of land for 99% of the Loop. Stuff happens to ruin all your Plans. At least, if you have a trailer boat you can leave it at a dry stack or trailer it home making 500 miles a day easy.

The vast majority of Planners plan to anchor out 80% of the time to save money but end up at marinas 80% of the time because:
Less stressful esp on rivers with waterfalls, dams, fisherpersons who have had too much beer, and barge traffic around with anchor dragging nightmares
More social contact among cruisers at marinas
No bother with dinghies or generators
Easier for those with dogs on board

Suggestions:
Make your Loop your own!
There are 31 flavors of cruising!
“The adventure of a lifetime” vs a “lifetime of adventures cruising”
Make every fourth day a ‘Options/Weather’ day

Safe Travels and hope this is helpful!

John and Eileen

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, good stuff John. Thanks for sharing it in print. Sorry, I think I fell a sleep sometime just before you started your seminar. Mr. Green
BTW, no confusion here. Just remember, your boat, one to the right, two to the left. Doesn't matter if you are passing or overtaking. Cool (Had a small ferry, wanna be big boat, captain, tell me one time that you're passing when you meet head on, and overtaking or being overtaken if both going the same direction... Rolling Eyes ) Colby
KFoote

City/Region: East Bridgewater
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foote Loose
Photos: Foote's Rest
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:18 am    Post subject: foote Loose Beginning Great Loop May 30. 2023 Reply with quote

I am as ready as I can reasonable be.
The over planner in me keeps wanting more to research and learn.

It's time to bite the bullet and get moving!

Thank you Dr Bob, John and Eileen Highsmith, and many others who have shared their knowledge with me during my planning stage.

You can follow long on my You Tube site.

https://www.youtube.com/@boatupdiningguy6334

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you complete your Adventure safely!

Making every 4th day a Weather/Option Day has worked out very, very well for us overall. You might want to consider every 3.5 days and see how that works out over a few weeks for you.

Safe Travels and following seas!

John
KFoote

City/Region: East Bridgewater
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foote Loose
Photos: Foote's Rest
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject: Weather Day Reply with quote

Thanks John.
Great idea.
I hope to see you in November.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: