The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/26 - 05/29 - Princess Louisa - Memorial Day Weekend
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran dobbs at full tide last year. Why was it a problem? full speed and plan on thru. ran into the narrows at P.L. the same way with the tide. Not fun but doable, ok it was fun but i like that kind of stuff.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deception Pass seems more of a challenge at full flow than did either Dobbs or Malibu Rapids. When you only draft 8" in the first place and on top of that you are on a plane, no big deal.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
sailor-d

State or Province: Other
Photos: Sailor-D
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Dodd Narrows Reply with quote

Vol 1, Sixteenth Edition of Sailing Directions, British Columbia Coast (South Portion) - an official publication has this to say about Dodd Narrows:

Dodd Narrows is more difficult to pass through when entering from north rather than south, for in the former case, the slight alteration in course, necessary when passing through, has to be made immediately on entering the narrow part; in addition the entrance to Dodd Narrows is difficult to see when approaching from Northumberland Channel.
It is recommended that passage through Dodd Narrows be made at slack water. Before passing through Dodd Narrows other than at slack water be sure the vessel is able to proceed against the tidal stream; if there is any doubt, passage should be delayed until slack water.

Note: I have yet to transit Dodd Narrows unevenfully - invariably yahoos in larger powerboats making huge wash being amplified by the current - always plenty of venting on VHF.

cheers - Dave
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books like that are written for sail boaters and large slow cruisers. small fast light boats, like yours, are not constraned by the same concerns. we also dont throw massive large wakes like bay liners either. Always call out on the radio when every entering small passages like dobbs. lots of barge traffic. let the folks going with the current go first. I like to time it during the tide , not the slack, just so I dont have to put up with the rush of boats at slack. hope this helps.
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sad to report, the Rock-C and crew will not be able to make the Princess Louise cruise this year Crying or Very sad Our boating season is going to be pretty limited this summer. Take lots of pictures and give us a blow by blow report. Mr. Green
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this back up to the top. Do we have a final count on who's going up to Princess Louisa? And when? Just curious. Caryn and I are still planning to leave Friday morning.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I am the group moderator on the signup sheet, but it looks like Daydream is backing out. See thread "Boating Less Due to Gas Prices?" Even looked into starting at Sunset Beach on Howe Sound, anyway you slice it this is a 180 mile round trip (Sunset Beach) or 240 mile round trip (Blaine). With gas at $3.??, and the Great Inside Passage Adventure ($$$) coming up two weeks later, we will probably start in Blaine and just head for Reef Harbor, between Cabbage Island and Tumbo Island (just out in front of Saturna), set the hook and veg for the Memorial Day weekend...sorry, gang. I look forward for reports from those who do make the journey!

c-dancer wrote:
Bringing this back up to the top. Do we have a final count on who's going up to Princess Louisa? And when? Just curious. Caryn and I are still planning to leave Friday morning.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm sorry to say that the Nancy H and crew won't be able to make this trip. Too far and too much to do at home.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we have had a change of heart , or pocket, about this weekend too. Susan can not get that tuesday off because of just starting her new job. So we have altered our plans for the weekend and anyone who wishes to join us is more then welcomed.

We will be leaving friday night after work and heading as far as we can forwards canada. I don't know what time I will be getting off so we will anchor where ever we are at dark. On saturday our goal is to get over to butchart gardens in Saanich inlet. We will anchor up there and go see the gardens. that night the gardens have a fire works show that can be seen from the boat or in the gardens themselves. We would love to have others raft up with us for lunch that day and fire works that night, if we don't just stay in the gardens to watch. the gardens has a dingy dock so bring your dingy to paddle a shore. we will have our two man kayak and could ferry people if need be.

Sunday we will head out to victoria and stay until monday before heading back home late in the day. If you have not been to victoria it is well worth it. Lots to see and do. I will be picking up a fishing licence while there so i can crab and shrimp and maybe fish a little. So if anyone is interested in going just let us know. iam really sorry that we talked up P.I inlet so much and It is a really nice place to go. i wish we where going but with fuel and susans new job its just not do able this week end. Maybe in the fall.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem destined never to see PL myself, I was really looking forward to this, but marital harmony above all! Patty is just unwilling to do much more than 30 - 40 miles a day, Hood Canal (50 miles to Pleasant Harbor from Everett) was an exception I guess, but there was pot of gold at the end of that particular rainbow...

starcrafttom wrote:
iam really sorry that we talked up P.I inlet so much and It is a really nice place to go. i wish we where going but with fuel and susans new job its just not do able this week end. Maybe in the fall.
john schuler

City/Region: Missoula, Montana
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Clara (sold)
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: UP for something else closer Reply with quote

I will be picking up my boat at EQ tue or wen. My crew buddy will be on board thur after noon. We would be up for most anything closer to the
San Juans this weekend. Anybody interested?????????
Cheep Texas Holdem is always available on the CLARA.
CoolSmile john schuler CoolSmile
Jazzmanic

Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's unanimous. Caryn and I have decided to spend Memorial Day weekend in the Gulf Islands, first Montague Harbour then Ganges. We'll save PL for another trip. To all the C-Brats, have a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend.
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Just Returned From Malibu Reply with quote

I just returned from a four day retreat with a group of guys at the Malibu Resort. We drove to Egmont and took the Princess Malibu up to Prince Louisa. We had the chance to go by private boat up to Chatterbox Falls.

I don't know of a more spectacular place to visit. There is no doubt about it that the rapids run wild. I would have loved to have been on the shore when Tom went through at full flow.

We paid $4.46 cents for a gallon of gas in Canada. Everywhere it was $1.17 a liter.

I am totally hooked on making this trip on my boat. I am hoping I will get the opportunity some time this summer.

The good news is with such high prices some of the big boys are staying home leaving more mooring space for us little critters.

Catman

C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, C-Sick. That's one way to free up some dock space. Even Bambina had a bit of trouble back in '97 squeezing herself between the plastic leviathans at the Princess Louisa dock.

I'm happy you were able to so recently see the area.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-sick, you said Resort? have they changed the summer camp resort in to a open resort?? It was a christian camp for high schoolers the last time I checked, but that was 1999. susan and I did not stop there and look around last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: