The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dakota Lithium dual purpose LiFePO4 starter battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
croakz

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:47 am    Post subject: Dakota Lithium dual purpose LiFePO4 starter battery Reply with quote

Has anyone been considering getting one of these?

https://dakotalithium.com/product/dakota-lithium-12v-60ah-dual-purpose-car-starter-deep-cycle-lifepo4-battery-1000cca/

"... Engineered with Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) technology this battery has twice the power, half the weight, and lasts 4 times longer than a lead acid battery – providing exceptional lifetime value. Built for dual purpose performance the DL+ provides 1,000 cold cranking amps (CCA) and a high continuous discharge rate, making it a great choice for high amp draw applications like starting engines..."

I with there was more info on them. I like the idea of having a lithium starter, even better if I can combine it with a lithium house battery using something like a Blue Sea Add-a-Battery for lithium setups. I wonder how they deal with not damaging the alternator.

I'll keep my lead acid starter and separate LiFePO4 house setup, but looking forward to this getting easier and cheaper.

- tom
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, and then I looked farther down the page and there was a 100AH one, the size of a Group 27. Would go for that BUT it isn't a starting battery. So, back to the 60AH one. Three of them would work, and for less weight than what I have now. Not cheap though, but 5 year warranty, which with the set up I am using now I am getting 6 years use, for less money.

As the price comes down they are more and more tempting.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lithium Iron Phosphate doesn't like to be stored at 100 percent charge. They will last longer if you run them between 10 and 90 percent of charge. They may be why they lowered the warranty from 11 to 5 years. Charging them with the alternator would be the wrong profile. That also could be the reason for the shorter warranty. Using them as the cranking battery might not let you use a dc to dc charger for the house. It will be interesting to see how many alternators they burn up.

kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to justify even an AGM as a starter battery as they shouldn't be discharged much as they are just used for starting and then the alternator should top them up. The main reason I'm considering an AGM for a starter is to have the same charging profile for a battery maintainer, lower maintenance and less drain while sitting in the winter months.

If you wanted all Lifepo4 batteries for the same reason charging profile reason looks like an ok solution, but it doesn't look like it is sealed/waterpoof like a sok marine or battleborn?
croakz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charging profiles are what I am thinking about. My Honda BF100 has a 35A alternator but I have to decide between an 18A or 30A DC to DC charger (Victron 12V). I was hoping someone would come up with a hybrid that can be the gateway between being a starter and the rest if my Lifepo4 batteries, but maybe that is far off.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my Yamaha 40's would work for the charging I would replace my 2 group 29 FLA RV/Deep Cycle Interstates. But they last for 6 years now, so this would have to be a $$$ saving scheme in the long run. 5 years, isn't enough battery life to get me to change . . . yet.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Jody notes the high acceptance of current LiFePO4 batteries can put a real load on alternators and over heat the. There are devices which will allow the battery to be charged for XX amount of time each hour. This is one of the devices used on RV's which often have 200 amp alternators. The Li batteries can accept a large amount of power readily (also discharge a large rapidly--and this can become a problem is you hook a Li battery to a FLA battery. The Li batteryry has a float voltage of 13.6 Volts--and the AGM or FLA 12.6 to 12.8.

Most of the LiFePO4 batteries are not designed as starting batteries--and many of the builders will state they are not to be used for starting. The Battery Management System, is not designed for this heavy load profile of a starter motor. I don't see where Will Prowse has evaluate the Dakota battery. The Dakota BMS must be designed for the rapid discharge of the starter. Also the wire size, type of busbars, and programing are all potential issues with LiFePO4 batteries.

I did not seen any Will Prowse review on the Dakota battery.

The charging profile: Our outboards put out up to 14.4 volts--and this is satisfactory during the bulk phase of charging. The outboard alternater will never fully charge the Li Fe PO4 battery. You need a special profile, either the shore charger or a specially designed battery to battery charger. For example the Sterling B to B charger will allow you to put in a profile which fits best for your use. Unfortunately this requires a flooded lead acid battery as the source of the charging power. For a 35 amp alternator I would use the 18 amp Victron charger. You need some power for the engine, electronics etc.

Doing a search on The Hull Truth, I didn't find much on Dakota as starting batteries--many are using them as trolling motor batteries. I have also checked the RV forums and I don't find any builders using LiFe PO4 as starting batteries.

I did find
Quote:
Group 31 - 12V 200AH Deep Cycle Lithium Ion RV Battery
2000 Cranking Amps
200A Continuous Charge / Discharge
Built In Battery Management System
Weight: 60 Lbs.
For $2,000
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
croakz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally found the Dakota lifepo4 dual starter on Will's diysolarforum.com. But doesn't sound like anyone has reviewed it.

I got a Victron DC to DC charger 18A I'm going to install this weekend, so yeah, going down a more trusted route. Now if I only could find a way to fit my 12v 200ah in the port lazerette, I'd be a happy camper.

- tom
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Will has stated in one of his videos that he will not review Dakota batteries because he doesn’t like the material the case is made of. People have asked him to review them and he refused. Maybe some where down the road he will change his mind. I have a 54 ah and a 23 ah that I use for various things and I like them just fine. They do not have cold temperature shut offs on there bms. I don’t really see a value in having the cranking battery be lithium. I would think you would want the cranking at near full charge in order to start the motor. If you had run it down to 10 percent during the night do you think it would still start the motor.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jody. I agree about the starting battery. I still feel that using the B To B charger is wise. I think if you were down to the last 10% it would be a push, and even may damage the battery trying to start an engine, IF the BMS allowed it to put out that much current, when the voltage is down that low.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: