Griswold

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: LUCIDITY
Photos: LUCIDITY
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: solid Reply with quote

My 1988 22 cruiser is solid, I crawled in and out, under and over it. it is as solid as anything new. With having said that....I failed to look thoroughly at the trailer which has been my problem since I hooked up the hitch to it. The boat didn't fail the owner, at some point the owner neglected the boat for this to happen.
grumpmeisters@hotmail.com

City/Region: Sandy Valley
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a C-Dory Venture 23 Sport in March of last year. I am not impressed with the quality of workmanship, I was looking at possibly a 25 but am reconsidering doing business with C-Dory.
First of all, it is difficult to talk to anyone there to get help, and I've only talked to one person there concerning the water pump for the sink. It has basically destroyed the pump and faucet due to excessive pressure from the pump. It literally shakes the faucet when turned on. And no, this is not a "freezing issue" as the boat was stored here in Las Vegas indoors, heated Hangar since early November. I was told someone would call me and send new pump and faucet. No one has called. You can see this issue was an issue before delivery of the boat on you tube, search Y Marina C-Dory 23 Venture Sport...that is my boat before delivery.
I decided to dig deeper into issues. The starboard fuel tank had two clamps that are used to secure the rubber hose from the neck to the tank. They were dangling on the rubber hose, there was a bag with half of a burger king sandwich stuffed in the fuel tank area. Now I know why I smelled fuel an hour after filling that tank. I have not eaten at burger king since the pandemic.
When you spend 100k on a boat you expect better.
Additionally, why are the electrical wires and equipment not protected from damage by stuff in the forward bunk area?
The first time I tried using the 12 volt outlet it popped the fuse...using it for an Iphone.
Underneath the sink area same issue. Storage for heavy items in that area is just looking for trouble. No protection again for any water lines or electrical. Water lines in the same area as electrical lines without protection????
I do not like to bad mouth a company, but there are issues here that are unsafe. Sad Sad
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, grumpmeisters, so sorry to hear of the trouble you are having with your new C-Dory 23 Venture Sport.

I feel I need to do some damage control on behalf of NMI. We are very satisfied with the quality and build on our 2018 23 Venture Sport. Last Summer, I do remember seeing a sales video of a 23 Venture Sport from Y-Marina in Oregon and so I am thinking this is the same boat. The Burger King bag you are talking about could have been placed in your boat while at Y-Marina by whomever. I would not blame NMI for that. Y-Marina should have caught the fuel line issue before sale to you. As far as the water pump, we had an issue with our water pump slightly after one year of use. I called the Johnson Pump company and they sent me a new one for free, including shipping without question and I did not need to send them the old one. No problems since then with this quiet and quality pump.

Keep in mind that the 23 Venture Sport is simple with no vinyl covering on the inside of the cabin and the wires are exposed. This makes it nice for cleaning and the ease to add modifications later. There should have been a soft vinyl covering for the wires you are concerned about in the forward cabin.

Hope you are able to work out these issues and that you may enjoy the use of your C-Dory for years to come.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, What GaryF of DayBreak said.

I have some agreement with the wire issue, It would be SOOO NICE if NMI would use a wiring loom, and have things labeled, But that is asking a lot $$$.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally NMI has been pretty good on "quality" control issues. I would hate to list all of the issues on my new Tom Cat in the 2006 era. They were lack of paying attention to what was done..

Despite the anticipation a "new" boat should be perfect, unfortunately this is rarely the experience. That does not mean that the boat is not a good boat, or the manufacture doesn't care.

The hose clamps is down right carelessness. The water pump is sort of another type of issue. Ideally a 12 Volt water system has an accumulator, which smooths out the pulses in water flow. I have never seen one on a C Dory. When I was crusing full time with a large motor sailor, I had a rebuilt pump with quick disconnect on the water and power features--since the pump failed regularly. The newer pumps generally are more reliable. The boat builder buys things like pumps by what is available. That has nothing to do with the quality of the boat. They certainly should have been more responsive to your concerns and complaints. Or--the dealer should be the point of contact.

All of the C Dory's I have owned had the back of the console covered with a fiberglas or sunbrella shield. The lack of one would suggest that someone forgot to put that there, or it had been taken off, and not replaced. (For example if there were electronics installed by the dealer.). Are there snaps screwed into the ceiling just forward of the back of the console? How about the inboard side of the console. That is where a canvas cover would snap onto. Again the dealer should be able to get that for you.

Photos of the electrical/water lines might give us a better idea of what the issue was. None of the C Dory's I have owned had any "protection" for wiring--but it was well up under the counter, and hoses run by the inner aspect of the inboard side of the galley counter. I have never seen a safety issue there. The 25 I recently sold, has extensive wiring, plus the auto pilot pump, and now a water heater, and mixing valve for the shower all well out of the way under the galley.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '08 22 does not have any sheathing on the main wire trunk that runs from the back of the helm to the back of the boat. In the cockpit this trunk runs on top of the side bin and it was protected. In the cabin it is tied up at the top inside of the galley cabinet by the cabin wall. The only place where this trunk is exposed is the run between where it comes out of the sink cabinet and runs along the side wall to the back of the helm. The trunk is tie-wrapped tight and also secured in place. I find this arrangement to perfectly acceptable and it allows for easy access to the wiring for additions, removals, and repairs (none needed so far).

The wires that run to things in the open parts of the cabin (e.g. lights, radio, horn, antennas) are protected by woven wire sheathing.

Yes, it would be nice if all the wires at the back of the helm were labeled. But the C-Dory wiring is pretty simple and it is easy to follow/figure out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: