The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hydrogen Powered Tow Boat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Hydrogen Powered Tow Boat Reply with quote

https://professionalmariner.com/article/first-methanol-fuel-cell-towboat-scheduled-for-2023-delivery/?mc_cid=4e29ce2edb&mc_eid=96b8ad7b0b
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article and design.

Here is a link to a fully electric harbor tug, just a few lines below the previous link.

https://professionalmariner.com/master-boat-builders-begins-construction-of-crowleys-zero-emission-tug/

And I saw on C-Dory Facebook that they have a 300 HP V-8 Diesel outboard available now. It only weighs 800 pounds. (and they quit building the 16 and 19's. Can you believe it Question Rolling Eyes

Lots of options.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the infrastructure support for delivery of large quantities of methanol to the boat?
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

https://professionalmariner.com/master-boat-builders-begins-construction-of-crowleys-zero-emission-tug/

"Net zero" emissions for a tugboat? What a load of greenwashing! I understand that there won't be emissions directly coming from the boat as it operates, and harbor particulate air pollution is a problem with so many old diesels, but "net zero emissions" is a term too often misused, certainly here in Washington State. Teslas are mostly powered with fossil fuels in the US. That said, I'm all for electric motors in boats too, I just have a problem with anyone claiming they produce zero emissions driving a car (or operating a tugboat). It makes me think that other claims don't hold up either. For instance, though I love my Torqeedo 1103, it certainly isn't the equivalent of a 3hp outboard. Mine underperforms my Honda 2.3.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
""Net zero" emissions""

Yeah, NET ZERO if you don't count building it, producing all the materials, paint and furnishings. And if it only gets plugged into a currant bush for charging.

Yeah, NET ZERO Laughing Laughing Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to tip the seesaw up a tiny bit in the other direction....

There are some benefits. Once a vehicle (car, boat, train, etc) operates with electric power, there are some possibilities that didn't exist before. The toxic emissions might be less KWH for KWH via scrubbing technology at a power plant that would be impossible on the vehicle itself. Also to the extent the electric power is generated from renewables, there is likely to be reductions in total emissions. CO2 sequestration might be possible at the power plant that would be impossible on the vehicle.

....and the long shot......if we ever crack the nut on fusion power, electric vehicles will be game changers. (Incidentally, many years ago I went to a lecture at the physics department at the University of Washington to hear a Nobel laureate gave a lecture on fusion power generation. I'll never forget this line from his talk: "Fusion power is the energy source of the future.......(pause).....AND it always will be." Hint....it was pun.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: