The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Acoustics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surveyor1

City/Region: Friday Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Jett
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Acoustics Reply with quote

So I love my new-to-me ‘98 cd22 but feel like the acoustics could be better in the cabin, mainly while under way. I was thinking about lining the ceiling and maybe walls with some 12x12 acoustic ceiling tiles. Has anyone ever tried this?
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surveyor1,
It works well in my boat…
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album178&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Surveyor1

City/Region: Friday Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Jett
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Acoustics Reply with quote

Wow, that looks good. I like the wood treatment.
I’m definitely going to do that.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the primary advantage to the ceiling tiles would be condensation abatement, rather than noise control.

In my 22, the primary noise sources are the motor and the water against the hull. Closing the cabin door helps a lot with the engine noise. Tiles on the ceiling won't help much with the hull noise. Eventually you be able to tell when the hull is riding nicely by the sound of the water rushing along the hull.

If you are concerned about ambient noise passing through the hull when sleeping, I find that a white noise generator hooked into the sound system works great for times when we are not using the AC or a fan.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple fix: https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Ultra-Soft-Foam-Earplugs/dp/B0051U7W32

I have noise cancelling headphones if I want to listen to music.

It if is engine noise, the outboard cover can be soundproofed.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2857&id=101_0033&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look into acoustic paint too.
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester wrote:
I'd look into acoustic paint too.

Has anyone try one of those acoustic or insulating paint? I would like to have feedback and/or recommendation. In my case it would be mostly for insulation as a way to diminish condensation during shoulder saison (read cold and wet Alaska spring and fall saison).
I'm interested in trying HyTech microsphere ceramic paint additive, anybody already try this product?
Thanks

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
ssobol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the inside of my boat with Hy-tech SC#1000. It is supposed to be a "sound control coating". I applied it based on a posting on this site about its insulating qualities.

I did 3 coats of SC#1000 followed by 3 coats of latex paint. The result makes the interior brighter, but I doubt that it makes much difference to either the sound transmission or the insulating qualities. What can you expect from something that is 1-2 mm thick? Probably need to have something at least 1/4" thick to get any appreciable change in the acoustic or insulation properties.

I did not have a lot of experience with the boat before I treated the interior so I can't really compare the difference. I did the interior when I first got the boat because it was easier to do it right away vs. after I started modding it.

I did see a different boat, but about the same size as my 22. The owners of that boat had come up with a good insulating surface treatment but I don't recall what it was. The guy who's boat it was is the same guy who has a project to lengthen a CD hull by a couple of feet what was posting on this site. You might want to search for that.

FWIW, I'm not sure I'd do the interior again. It is a big job to remove everything you can, unhang all the wires, and mask everything left so you can paint it.

They do make applique insulation/acoustic materials that people use for camper van conversions. Works well enough in that application. Might work ok in a C-Dory if you can affix it well enough. In some cases, the sound deadening is accomplished/aided by adding mass to the panel with the applique. To do an entire CD22 might add a significant amount of weight to an already weight sensitive boat (compared to a van).

An easy way to add insulation and sound attenuation (IMO) would be to line the boat interior with wood. If you used thin strips (1/4-3/8" thick) you could apply them to the inside of the cabin and berth. Thin strips would flex reasonably well and be easier to cut, shape, and install than large panels. Be a bit time consuming though.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you. I finally just decided years ago to just forget about it. I have twins and there is a weird harmonic pulse between the 2 engines at exactly the same rpm. I pretty sure it is because the sinusoidal wave lengths are in phase with each other and that causes it. Not much I can do about it....varying the rpm slightly does help a lot. But then there is all the other noise too.....the cabin of the 22 isn't really that quiet - nor are ouboards at 5.5k rpms. Yup I'm saying just give up.....lol.....
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
I hear you. I finally just decided years ago to just forget about it. I have twins and there is a weird harmonic pulse between the 2 engines at exactly the same rpm. I pretty sure it is because the sinusoidal wave lengths are in phase with each other and that causes it. Not much I can do about it....varying the rpm slightly does help a lot. But then there is all the other noise too.....the cabin of the 22 isn't really that quiet - nor are ouboards at 5.5k rpms. Yup I'm saying just give up.....lol.....

FWIW, I've noticed (in my boat anyway) that there is a node in the sound that seems to make the engine noise louder at the front of the cabin (i.e. the helm) than at other places.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise, What (not white) noise. But then, I leave myu hear aids out Laughing Rolling Eyes
Then, if that doesn't work for you, Close the cabin door. Slow Down, (who needs to run at 5500 RPM?) Fast for my 40's is 4200, quiet is somewhere below 5 knots, and before there is a bow wave.

And sometimes I even play music I can hear above the 4 knot bow wave and the 1500 rpm engines.

You might try putting up a sound wall at the front of the Splash well. That worked for OG Dave on his Stretch 16.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People turning high 5000-6000 rpms have small outboards and are having to travel many hours to get to their destination. They might also not be retired and have a schedule. Things are pretty spread out here.
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over hull speed the plugs go in or the muffs go on in our boat. Reduces operating fatigue, protects hearing (especially that of my kids), is a good reminder that you are operating a dangerous machine, and solves acoustic issues for pennies on the dollar. Plus if you go the muffs route, you look awesome when you forget to take them off at the fuel dock. WHAT!? WHAT!? YEAH REGULAR GASOLINE THANKS!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" . . . . Plus if you go the muffs route, you look awesome when you forget to take them off at the fuel dock. WHAT!? WHAT!? YEAH REGULAR GASOLINE THANKS!"

Well, and then some of us just look awesome. But that is a good rule. Protect your hearing while you still have it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
" . . . . Plus if you go the muffs route, you look awesome when you forget to take them off at the fuel dock. WHAT!? WHAT!? YEAH REGULAR GASOLINE THANKS!"

Well, and then some of us just look awesome. But that is a good rule. Protect your hearing while you still have it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hey Harvey, so that is what you actually look like? I never seen you without the beard!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: