The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bow eye ( guess it's also called trailer eye)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Nyloc nuts (as above) are an option, But I prefer to use a full thread nut 316 SS nut with Loctite 424. That gives a very secure fastening.

The nylon part is in addition to the threaded part. That's why nyloc nuts are taller than regular nuts. For aircraft use, they are not going to allow locking nuts that are less strong than regular ones. You're allowed to use a nyloc nut in place of a regular one (with a suitable locking mechanism) except in high heat or certain chemical environments. In critical applications you should only use a nyloc nut once. 3 screw threads should protrude out the top of the nut.
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Not all have the forward nuts. I suspect they are put there because some boats are not going to be even where the holes are drilled, and irregularities can be adjusted for. But I would not just tighten nuts from the outside. Keep those as close to the "U" as possible.

Bob, I agree with you, most of the tightening should be done from inside, but you could probably have the last tug from the roomier outside, a full rotation or so at most. As always, feel free to correct me.

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C Wolf--looks good.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Bow Fitting Reply with quote

Robert & Karen, If your frustration level begins to overwhelm your patience, you might consider using a "one piece cast stainless 316L pad eye" like the one shown below. This would allow you to use bolts, (with nuts on the outside of hull), to conveniently tighten securely. Use of "medium" Locktite on the "nuts" will allow for future tightening should they require it.

https://www.marinedepotdirect.com/oblong-pad-eyes-heavy-duty.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA5t-OBhByEiwAhR-hmzOGBiAwIUtMZwvVrSAiT4yYsCfQw8_SN_hIdzJberMWKDdsXJ7eYhoCqzEQAvD_BwE

Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Bow Fitting Reply with quote

Robert & Karen, If your frustration level begins to overwhelm your patience, you might consider using a "one piece cast stainless 316L pad eye" like the one shown below. This would allow you to use bolts, (with nuts on the outside of hull), to conveniently tighten securely. Use of "medium" Locktite on the "nuts" will allow for future tightening should they require it.

https://www.marinedepotdirect.com/oblong-pad-eyes-heavy-duty.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA5t-OBhByEiwAhR-hmzOGBiAwIUtMZwvVrSAiT4yYsCfQw8_SN_hIdzJberMWKDdsXJ7eYhoCqzEQAvD_BwE
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bow Fitting Reply with quote

Barry Rietz wrote:

Still need a backing plate and have to get a wrench on the inside bolt head when you tighten the outside nut. So I'm not seeing much of an advantage.
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all of the feedback, I got back under there today and that piece in the pic that looks like a 1/2" piece of foam dropping down to the left of the bolts, is actually a very thick foam block - I'm not sure if it was intentionally put there, or if it slipped down from behind the -not sure what you call it - it's a piece of board that sits on top of the v-berth platform.

But it's right in the way of getting to the top nut inside. I was wondering, for both this issue and just as a resource in the future, whether it would be wise or not to install a large rectangular inspection hole in that v-berth platform near that area, or if that platform is part of the hull integrity since it's glassed into the sides?

thanks again everyone, what a resource this C-Brats site is Smile

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bow eye also had a plated steel backing plate that had to be replaced. The angle pieces that held the little bulkhead were also plated steel. Instead of replacing them with stainless, after I had finished my ground tackle modifications, I "glued" the bulkhead back in place with caulking.

I would guess that a prior owner had removed some of the EPS foam from behind your bulkhead. You can see the original pyramid-shaped pieces in my photo album Modifications-Ground Tackle.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zuunami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mark, we have the same little bulkhead put in with small brackets. I just caulked it all in getting ready to paint the area. Now I think maybe we could remove that and have access to the bow eye, if the platform is cut back enough back there. Like your anchor setup, will have to look more closely at that...down the line Smile
zuunami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out the small bulkhead was easy to get out, and there were two pieces of foam back there, one had just slipped down. Now it's very easy to get to those bolts, as well as a number of others. The bolts don't have a stainless backer, so we'll have to fix that - but it's connected to a rod that goes up to the anchor holder (whatever the proper term is) on the tip of the bow. Probably won't caulk the bulkhead back in so we can get in here when we need to. Thanks again everyone

Smitty.io

City/Region: Santa Cruz
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: Smitty.io 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the size of the standard u-bolt? 5/16, but what length and spacing?
Smitty.io

City/Region: Santa Cruz
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: Smitty.io 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s 1 1/8in spread. Thx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: