The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/12 - 05/14 - Friday Harbor C-Brats Get-Together
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have gone to Friday Harbor as long as there have been CBGTs there, and Baxter has come with us every time! The old gent turned 16 on May 4th! This is a bit longer than the typical Lhasa Apso lives. Like me, he has slowed down a bit, but he still eats, pees, poops, and loves us just as well as he always has! Here is a photo of Baxter at the 2010 Friday Harbor CBGT twelve years ago! He will be with us again next week. Please stop by Daydream and give the old guy (Baxter, not me) some love!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I'll make a point of doing that. We sure love our animal friends, and Baxter's been a part of the show for most of our group's time together.
I just bought flares again last week, so thank you for the information on distress lights. Clearly a good choice.
I look forward to seeing everyone, and Mark, we'll see you next year!
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman wrote:
Pat, I'll make a point of doing that. We sure love our animal friends, and Baxter's been a part of the show for most of our group's time together.
I just bought flares again last week, so thank you for the information on distress lights. Clearly a good choice.
I look forward to seeing everyone, and Mark, we'll see you next year!

No law against saving and using expired flares as long as you have something to meet the CG requirement! We have the new distress light but we are also hanging on to the expired flares! I also just checked my fire extinguisher. The stamp on the bottom says 04, so it expired in 2016, even though the dial is still in the green. So it is back to LFS to get a new fire extinguisher this morning.
bradmond

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the expired extinguishers in our car and truck. Couldn't hurt to put a flare in them too.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I agree, the bluetooth is a silly frill. But I do think that 8hrs vs. 60 hours is acceptable for the highly increased probability of being seen. Either light you can turn off if necessary to conserve battery power. (I also carry spare batteries in my emergency kit.) Whereas flares only last minutes. Colby

Yes, bluetooth seems idiotic. The boat could sink waiting for bluetooth to pair.

BTW, the less expensive version is actually quite bright and flashes SOS (hence the name!). When I put the batteries in and turned it on, I was surprised by just how bright it is. It meets the CG requirement of being visible from 10 nautical miles. Perhaps not from outer space, but I am feeling a lot more confidence in it now than when I read your first comment on it!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that if you carry expired flares, they need to be segregated from good ones and clearly marked as expired. Probably holds true even if you are carrying one of the distress lights.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
It is my understanding that if you carry expired flares, they need to be segregated from good ones and clearly marked as expired. Probably holds true even if you are carrying one of the distress lights.

I won't be carrying new flares, but I certainly could mark the old ones "expired" with a permanent marker.
djy887

City/Region: Bainbridge Island
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Still un-named (yeah, I know)
Photos: djy887
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Friday Harbor Forecast Reply with quote

Ugh...forecast is looking a little gnarly Wednesday through Saturday. What are you other attendees thinking? I'd hate to miss out on our first CBGT...but that may be one rough ride.

https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=pzz133#
croakz

C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday Harbor Forecast Reply with quote

djy887 wrote:
Ugh...forecast is looking a little gnarly Wednesday through Saturday. What are you other attendees thinking? I'd hate to miss out on our first CBGT...but that may be one rough ride.

https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=pzz133#

We're going to try leave Des Moines Marina on Thursday morning. Also don't want to miss our first CBGT. But maybe leaving on Friday is more realistic.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
We have gone to Friday Harbor as long as there have been CBGTs there, and Baxter has come with us every time! The old gent turned 16 on May 4th! This is a bit longer than the typical Lhasa Apso lives.

We had to let Baxter's cousin Sophie go on April 20 this year, one day after her 16th birthday.

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Pat Anderson wrote:
We have gone to Friday Harbor as long as there have been CBGTs there, and Baxter has come with us every time! The old gent turned 16 on May 4th! This is a bit longer than the typical Lhasa Apso lives.

We had to let Baxter's cousin Sophie go on April 20 this year, one day after her 16th birthday.

Very sad about Sophie, and I will be a basket case when we have to let Baxter go. I always teased Tyboo about why he was always posting pictures of my dog. We just treasure every day we have Baxter.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent a few hours today trying to shine Daydream up a bit, need a little more time tomorrow. The old girl is 17 years old, has a lot of miles on her, BUT a great new Suzy 200 with only 50 hours on it. A few dings and scratches, mostly from our ill-fated rental of an inadequate slip at Blaine. Maybe we will have to get those fixed by our fiberglass guy in Bellingham. No, she is NOT for sale just yet! I think we have another good five years at least of cruising!

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Tue May 10, 2022 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are part of our families. I suspect Baxter will. have as good a time at Friday Harbor as most of the attendees! Wish we could be there!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. The weather is indeed a bit rough this week. We drove from Portland this AM and launched in Bellingham this afternoon and made a choppy trip to Stuart Island. Our C-Dory is indeed a seaworthy vessel and can handle seas much rougher than our bodies are willing to handle. We took advantage of the lee side of many islands so that we minimized the rough seas. When at all possible, we tried to cross rough water with following seas as C-Dorys travel best that way. Be smart and intentional in planning your route to Friday Harbor. Check the winds and wave heights using the ap of your choice. If you need to arrive later than expected, that’s OK. We do hope you can all make it. We plan to arrive on Thursday noon and will look forward to greeting everyone. If you can’t make it, we will understand, safety comes first. Gary and Colleen
croakz

C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather is looking rougher than this new boating family should probably manage. We'll check again tomorrow morning. But we did get a hotel room in Friday Harbor, so hopefully we'll be able to meet many of you and contribute to the pot luck.

I'll let you know tomorrow if we need to take our names of the Coast Guard inspection and the boat christening.

- tom

Last edited by croakz on Wed May 11, 2022 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: