gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MMSI is administered by the government through the FCC. The option to get one through BoatUS is a way to get one for DOMESTIC use without having to go through the expense of getting a FCC Station license for the vessel. The MMSI you get through BoatUS is not stored in the international database at the ITU, so foreign agencies do not have access to the information. If you sail internationally, you need to have the FCC license anyway, and the MMSI is issued as part of that and that MMSI is stored in the international database.

Bottom line, the government is not farming the MMSI numbers out to BoatUS but allowing an easier and cheaper way to get one so boaters that are not required to have a FCC license do not have to go through that process and pay that fee.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically any recreational vessel (Voluntary License) who goes into foreign Ports is required to have the Ship's Radio License. There has been along exception (not enforced) that it is not required in Canada. If you go to the Bahamas, and in theory to Mexico or any other foreign waters then it is required. The Personal Locator beacon and EPRIB are all international registration in the SAT SAR data base.

From FCC:

Quote:
The term "voluntary ships" does not apply to the following:
Cargo ships over 300 gross tons navigating in the open sea;
Ships certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to carry more than 6 passengers for hire in the open sea or tidewaters of the U.S.;
Power driven ships over 20 meters in length on navigable waterways;
Ships of more than 100 gross tons certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to carry at least one passenger on navigable waterways;
Tow boats of more than 7.8 meters in length on navigable waterways; and,
Uninspected commercial fishing industry vessels required to carry a VHF radio.
Ships required to carry an Automatic Identification System (AIS) transceiver by the U.S. Coast Guard regulations enacted pursuant to the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2000.

Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands), a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a MMSI number today free from USPS. Still don't understand why they can provide them for free, but BoatUS can't. I'm thinking BoatUS is just using it as a marketing tool - i.e., if I go to their site and see that it's going to cost $25 for a MMSI, why don't I just pay the extra fee for membership. But where does the $25 go?

I can see how someone could just program in a fake MMSI number (it's just a 9 digit code beginning with a 3 digit geo indicator) - but why in the world would someone want to make fake calls. I can't imagine that sort of activity is so prevalent that someone decided not to allow MMSI numbers to be easily changed on a unit as a deterrent, until recently.

letitride

City/Region: San Jose
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Limits
Photos: Letitride
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for the experts, my fixed radio has a MMSI number, now I purchased a new handheld radio the iCOM IC-M94D plan to register a new different MMSI number for the handheld one.

1. If you press the DSC button on the main boat VHF radio and then later have to get out of the boat and are drifting then press the handheld DSC button you have 2 different DCS MMSI numbers listed how does the authorities / rescuers know where to go 1st?
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
I got a MMSI number today free from USPS. Still don't understand why they can provide them for free, but BoatUS can't. I'm thinking BoatUS is just using it as a marketing tool - i.e., if I go to their site and see that it's going to cost $25 for a MMSI, why don't I just pay the extra fee for membership. But where does the $25 go?

I can see how someone could just program in a fake MMSI number (it's just a 9 digit code beginning with a 3 digit geo indicator) - but why in the world would someone want to make fake calls. I can't imagine that sort of activity is so prevalent that someone decided not to allow MMSI numbers to be easily changed on a unit as a deterrent, until recently.

First Boat US is a good cause--they are one of the few lobbying organizations for the recreational boaters--and make all of our lives easier. USPS is also a good cause--there is some "cost" to them to issue the number, but they hope that you will take one of their courses and join the Power Squadron. The power squadron courses are excellent, and I hope that you will take some. Any function provided by any organization has a "cost"--the time it takes to open a letter and read it or same for an E-mail. Then the number has to be assigned and recorded.

The $25 to Boat US goes to the same place as if you joined, you rightfully noted that is an incentive to join. It goes to pay "overhead" and personal. As already noted you as a presumed tax payer have paid a few pennies to have the the MMSI number registered and the CG to respond with rescue operations.
zuunami

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway, I didn't intend to disparage BoatUS, I'm sure they are a fine organization. I just don't like grey lines between government and private organizations Smile
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoatUS is a business, US Power Squadron is not/ Main Reason. Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

zuunami

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and, just a side note, getting the number was automated and was issued in about 2 seconds. with an auto email confirmation. So I don't think there's much cost involved, the new numbers are probably automatically sent to the USCG also.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

letitride wrote:
Question for the experts, my fixed radio has a MMSI number, now I purchased a new handheld radio the iCOM IC-M94D plan to register a new different MMSI number for the handheld one.

1. If you press the DSC button on the main boat VHF radio and then later have to get out of the boat and are drifting then press the handheld DSC button you have 2 different DCS MMSI numbers listed how does the authorities / rescuers know where to go 1st?

Because they know which number comes in when. If they get a DSC alert on one number and then later get an alert on the other and since they know they both come from the same owner, they can probably figure the scenario out and know which location to go first.

FWIW, they are more likely to get the first alert and not the second because the main radio on the boat usually has much more transmit power (and antenna height). Depends on the exact situation though.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
BoatUS is a business, US Power Squadron is not/ Main Reason. Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

I am not so sure I agree with that. Certainly the business models are different, but still a business.

Here is the cost to join Power Squadron:
Quote:
The first year's membership for an individual is $97.00 and $133.00 for the entire family. Squadron's are the backbone of the organization. They teach courses, perform civic services such as vessel examinations and cooperative charting, as well as conducting boating and social activities

The courses have fees, which include material. There items sold at an apparel store etc. They also sponsor insurance. I believe that the Power Squadron also advocates for boaters by lobbying. They also have a structure similar to a Yacht Club, with Port and Fleet Captains, Various Lieutenants and Commanders.

zuunami wrote

Quote:
can see how someone could just program in a fake MMSI number (it's just a 9 digit code beginning with a 3 digit geo indicator) - but why in the world would someone want to make fake calls. I can't imagine that sort of activity is so prevalent that someone decided not to allow MMSI numbers to be easily changed on a unit as a deterrent, until recently.

The penalty for that is stiff $16,000 fine. There are many improper MMSI numbers, most are honest errors, expired licenses, and sold vessels without transfer of the number. But there are some fake ones--and they can cause a lot of trouble.
Karl Konecny

City/Region: Glide
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Nowhere Fast
Photos: Nowhere Fast
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't complain too much about the BoatUS $25 fee. I just went through the FCC for my MMSI (since I plan on boating in Canada and maybe Baja). The cost was $220, which includes an unneeded ship radio station license. The bureaucratic maze with the FCC was not a pleasant experience as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: