letitride

City/Region: San Jose
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: No Limits
Photos: Letitride
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been waiting for many years for a handheld VHF radio to get the added AIS feature.

I will be purchasing the new DSC+GPS+AIS ICOM M94D VHF Marine Radio, I think this is a real game changer for added safety. Its not perfect but you would be much happier in the water floating with a VHF radio that had (DSC+GPS+AIS).

There are too many pros to list having the AIS receiver and only 2 Cons that I have, $299 and need to learn how to use the AIS feature.

Having had my fixed AIS receiver VHF radio for many years linked thru NEMA to my Raymarine chart plotter I can clearly see the benefits of having an AIS receiver especially in a emergency situation the ability to know that an AIS ship is close to your position and you can call them directly for assistance would be priceless.....during an emergency.

I'm just so excited been waiting a long time for this added feature and hope it will save many lives.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

letitride,

I agree with you. I have had AIS on my boat since it was first available (almost) and use it there constantly. I can see the nicety of having that AIS info available, however, I have had very poor results with making DSC calls from my boat radio most of the time. On some, when I tried that first, and then a bit later did a ch 16 call to the boat by name, I learned that yes, their radio sounded some kind of an alarm, but they didn't know what it was or how to respond. It is a sad scenario that we have such good capability but are not savvy enough to understand or use it. The knowledge you would get from the AIS (proximity) would be very useful, then call by name.

Just wondering about the situation. If you are in the water, I would think a general Mayday call would be more effective than trying to call a boat by name or DSC.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the information on this handheld, as it sort of caught my interest after letitride's comments. However, unless I read the specs wrong, I don't believe this handheld can transmit AIS, but only receive. While I would like the idea of the AIS sending out my position, in retrospect that's what the DSC Emergency button will do. And quite frankly, I'm not sure how other boats with DSC will be notified. As Harvey stated, most folks know their radio is making a weird sound, but don't know why or how to communicate with the boat sending them the call. While having an AIS receiver available while floating in the water without a functioning boat may make you feel good seeing another vessel that transmits AIS near you, I'm not sure paying extra for AIS on a handheld is worth it. Having the DSC and it's emergency transmissions is definitely worthwhile. Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
... However, unless I read the specs wrong, I don't believe this handheld can transmit AIS, but only receive. While I would like the idea of the AIS sending out my position, in retrospect that's what the DSC Emergency button will do. ...

If you're floating the water, you're not considered a boat (e.g. MOB). Not sure how AIS would apply in that situation.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transmitting AIS from a handheld VHF would be difficult. For the main boat, an antenna splitter or, better yet, differently tuned antennas are needed. Because of the different frequencies, the little rubber antenna on a handheld probably could not transmit both VHF and AIS effectively. Which would you want to have priority? VHF for me.

I've often wondered how effective just a regular handheld VHF is for a MOB in 5 foot seas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
letitride

City/Region: San Jose
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: No Limits
Photos: Letitride
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

I agree with all your comments.

I would assume that if you tried calling a very large vessel (Cargo ship ect) they should be capable and able to respond...but who knows if anyone is on watch at the time your trying to call.

I'll share a story & try & make it short & to the point, pls bare with me:

I had to rescue one of my buddy's in the water at night once 18 miles off shore crossing from Santa Cruz Island to Oxnard.

Luckily (we were crossing together, 2 boats) I saw him fly off the 2nd boat on a full moon night when there boat (very large RIB) hit a very steep large swell, he didn't have any lights, but had his wet suit still on from night diving. (He got lucky)

I was also very lucky stopped the boat quickly & turned around & found him only because he was yelling at me, honestly it was SCARY it took what felt like forever to find him in the water at night, it was probably around 5-10mins.....

The boat he fell out of turned around but was so far away they where basically useless at that point and they searched in a different area.

Next dive trip he had so many lights on him at night he looked like a Christmas tree he was better prepared, live an learn....

All of us can be better prepared.

Just image its at night, I would happily try calling every boat close to me all night long, but you have to know there is a boat around your position to call else your wasting your time and battery power on nothing...
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off: The Handheld VHF's DO NOT transmit an AIS signal. (*)
They are AIS receive only. So you can look at the screen and see where the closest AIS transmission is coming from so you can determine the distance, but there is no guarantee with that, whether they will answer, or respond. AS there is no guarantee with the DSC transmission, except with that -- given you have an MMSI installed -- the USCG will recognize your call, determine you location and respond to that location. (That may take some time, in my location a response to a call from the mid Juan de Fuca would be a minimum of 30-45 minutes.

(*) There are a few AIS transmitting MOB devices available. That discussion is beyo0nd the scope of this thread.

letitride Good story. Thanks. I was involved in a search for a capsized kayaker one time. He was using a handheld VHF. It was late morning, very heavy dense fog with viz about 50 - 100 feet. I had just turned south where Johnston Strait ends at Chatham Point and turns into Discovery Passage, North of Campbell River about 27 miles. I had been watching on AIS, a northbound tug (no tow) headed north. (Nice thing about AIS, it can see around corners and over land masses.) I came to the point, and corner about 5 minutes ahead of the tug so took my Starboard turn, on the inside, leaving him plenty of room, I was staying close to the Vancouver Island shore side. I had talked to the tug, and watched him pass my beam on the radar, but never actually saw him. ( I was doing about 3.5 knots water speed but about 6k over the ground.) He was doing about 10K going upstream and I saw his radar spot disappear behind the point. Within seconds of that I heard a MAYDAY call. Clear, succinct and desperate. "Capsized my kayak, unable to reboard, disoriented as to direction but just south of Chatham Point." And " . . . I heard a ship go by just now." There was no CG response immediately. The tug called that he was in the area and would respond. I relayed the call to the CCG, and that I was responding, about 6-8 min away.

The kayaker could hear the tug, and was trying to tell the tug which direction he was from him but he didn't really know which way was shore. I asked the kayaker if he could hear my fog horn, and by then he could. I told him I was down stream and south of him. ( I thought I could see him on the radar by then, and could see the tug.) He used me as south, and was able to direct the tug to essentially drift down on him. As I arrived he was getting pulled up onto the tug deck, and they took his kayak aboard too.

Obviously if that kayaker had not had a VHF he may not have survived but, having one, he was able to talk to the tug which he knew was close. IF he had AIS receive on his handheld he would have been able to vector that tug to him without the added help from my horn to provide a direction.

Often wondered if the tug wake was what put him in the water? The timing sure would fit.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Harvey wrote:
Quote:
I use a pair of Standard Horizon HX851 Handheld VHF's and YES they have an on board GPS. and DSC. It is my understanding that the DSC will work without an MMSI number in the radio, BUT when activated it does not give out the identifier info that comes with an MMSI registration, SO, response time will be delayed.

Below are direct quotes from the Public Information Officer, CG District NO #8. This person is a 33 year veteran of the CG and a very active Gulf Coast recreational boater and fisherman. I know the individual personally and he has stated many times that for DSC to work you must have the MMSI programmed in.

Quote:
The easiest thing to do is use your VHF DSC Distress button. WARNING, it doesn't work if it's not set up properly.

When you first power the radio up (like first second or two) an MMSI will show up on the screen if an MMSI has been programmed. You will also get some indication on the radio screen that you have a GPS signal in the radio. The language varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Next time you are with your boat, take a look.

As many boaters as there are in many areas, with VHF DSC alert, you can often get boaters on scene much more quickly. There is some lag time between when an EPIRB is activated and when the Coast Guard Issues a VHF Urgent Marine Information Broadcast. Those could be critical minutes. I'd encourage boaters in distress to activate both.

From CG web site: The MMSI number is a general all CG stations number. Each CG station also has a specific MMSI number

Quote:
For VHF DSC radios equipped with the Test Call feature, test transmissions should be made to the US Coast Guard MMSI 003669999 to receive an automated VHF DSC test response. You must use the “Test Call” category of your radio because “Individual” category calls to this address will not receive an automated response. For older radios not having a test call capability, testing can only be performed by using a routine individual call to their Maritime Mobile Service Indentity (MMSI).

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL A DSC DISTRESS ALERT BE SENT TO TEST YOUR RADIO. IT IS A VIOLATION OF THE RULES AND CAN RESULT IN HEAVY FINES.

From USPS web sight:

Quote:
Modern marine radios now feature Digital Selective Calling (DSC) for routine operations and for automated distress hailing.
These features can only be used if your radio is programmed with a unique code called a Maritime Mobile Service Identity, or MMSI.

Here is a discussion of DSC and video of the SH 890 use.

OK, so right now I am preparing a whole dish of CROW --- Yup, That feather black bird and yes there are lots of feathers all over my face right now too.

BOB is full on RIGHT, (and there are others to) Maybe there is a reason I felt like a salmon swimming upstream Embarassed

I have been emailing back and forth with Juan Hernandez of Standard Horizon Tech support, and here is my question:

Juan, Thank you for your response. I need to see if I understand this correctly. Without an MMSI number stored in the HX851, when the RED button is pressed, there is ABSOLUTELY NO TRANSMISSION from the HX851 at all. Is that what you mean by "The Distress button requires the radio to have an MMSI programmed. Otherwise it will not function."

And Juan's answer:

Without an MMSI number the radios digital selective calling(DSC) features are not active. The Distress button is a DSC feature and needs an MMSI number to function. There is nothing to transmit without the MMSI.

Best regards,

Juan Hernandez

j.hernandez@yaesu.com

Yaesu USA
Standard Horizon
6125 Phyllis Drive
Cypress, Ca 90630
Ph: 714-827-7600
Fx: 714-527-9472

So, I have been operating under "Misinformation" for several years and apologize to those who I have passed that on to. DO put your MMSI into your handheld VHF.

My apologies.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Without an MMSI number the radios digital selective calling(DSC) features are not active. The Distress button is a DSC feature and needs an MMSI number to function. There is nothing to transmit without the MMSI.

It would be really nice if all the radio manufacturers put that statement in large bold type on one of the first pages in each radio operating manual. It is a simple explanation on why you need to program a MMSI number.

There is wide confusion over DSC operation and MMSI numbers in the recreational boating community.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's OK Harvey, I have one very large Pensacola Bay Pelican being sent to you Fed Ex overnight. They go down best with the hottest of "Crystal" hot sauce. Be sure and drink a liter of beer (best at a Sequim Micro brewery) with each bite of the pelican. Be sure and thaw the bird before eating. Very Happy

Best regards--I figured some day you would find out... There has been a constant struggle on The Hull Truth to get folks to put in the MMSI number. The CG information officer has been a great addition to the forum in his official capacity. He also posts under his recreational boater moniker also.

I also read an aviation Blog--there was a recent crash of a French recreational plane in the Austrian Alps (Hit a power line which was at 9700 feet elevation). The pilot owed his life to: a good helmet (Think life jacket) and he was wearing a survival vest. In the vest he had a personal locator beacon which he activated as soon as he got clear of the wreckage--an Austrian chopper was on scene in about 15 minutes!. He also had a hand held air band (121.5 MHz) radio and could communicate with the chopper to co-ordinate a L Z and asses both he and his passengers back injuries. (He also had a second cell phone in the vest, so he was able to communicate with his family that he was alive. I consider this analogous to having a hand held water proof, DSC enabled with MMSI radio (should also have the Personal Locator beacon!) attached to one's life jacket or in a fanny pack etc.

I know Harvey to be an advocate of putting the MMSI number into the radio!!!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've worked with Juan once a while back as well with some stuff on my radio when it was new. Nice to see the guy is still there, and still responding. That to me is good customer service! Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Bob.
Quote:
"I know Harvey to be an advocate of putting the MMSI number into the radio!!!"

And of having the PLB and HH vhf on the PFD in most situations. (AND the MMSI in every boat radio.

I will have to pass on the micro Beer, but I will pick up a dose of ginger beer and wash some "crow" down with that.

Colby. By all means. That should be in big red letters on every HH VHF box and in the instructions. That DSC RED Button is and HHVHF is 90% useless in an emergency without an MMSI.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned the other day that you really want separate mmsi numbers in each radio. When you register one of the questions is it a boat or a person for the hand held you want to pick person. So the CG will know their looking for a person and not trying to find a boat. You also get the feature of being able to practice the dsc calling function so you know how to use it. Of course that won’t mean others will know to use it.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
I learned the other day that you really want separate mmsi numbers in each radio. When you register one of the questions is it a boat or a person for the hand held you want to pick person. So the CG will know their looking for a person and not trying to find a boat. You also get the feature of being able to practice the dsc calling function so you know how to use it. Of course that won’t mean others will know to use it.

That is a valid point. However we use our PLBs on both land and sea. So they are registered to our person. An EPIRB is registered to only a boat or air plane.

On a plaque on Thataway, we had instructions for both channel 16 and for use of DSC; When we were voyaging, and others were aboard, we had a series of "emergency check lists" right at the companionway. One of these dealt with use of the EPRIB--and if time SSB Radio/VHF radios.

Quote:
Specific usage (selectable from a list)
Type for vehicle or vessel (selectable from a list)
Additional Data is a text field in which you can enter hike plan information if using on land, and vessel or aircraft information if using in water or air (name, color, identifying marks, float or flight plans)

It is not either or...but you can explain use--and many times it will be both--ie taking the boat to Lake Powell, and then hiking when on the lake. We see many of the SAR on Lake Powell where the party originated from a boat on the hike than fell and needed extraction. This is where the PLB comes in play.[/quote]
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started a thread regarding Emergency DSC MMSI use. It is here:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=30426&highlight=

I do have one station VHF without an MMSI assigned, It was the weakest of the 3, and I wanted one that would not be locked up with DSC activity which could take more than one minute, possibly 2, before I could get my radio "back". (That radio has a note on the red door advising "DO NOT USE in an EMERGENCY". The boat radios are on the same MMSI. And now the handhelds will be also, but my PLB (ACR ResQLink+) is registered via NOAA and it is registered to my person, not my boat. It had the option for "Notes" where I put in my Boat WA registration number, trailer Lic number, a brief description and then also of the motorcycle, it's Plate number and helmet and jacket info. The PLB goes where I go. It is 6 years old and I just replaced the battery.

Jody, I think the DSC testing function is available on the newer HH VHFs, but not on all. The PLB's do have some testing capability. Check before you do that, though.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: