View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Handheld VHFs with GPS/DSC Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has any strong opinions about the latest crop of handhelds with integrated GPS/DSC - I'm looking at the Cobra HH600, the Uniden MHS335BT, the Icom M94D, and the Standard Horizons HX890.

They're all about $200, except the Icom, which is $100 more, probably for the AIS. Not really sure the AIS would be helpful on a handheld, and we really don't have a lot of traffic in our area. I would rather get an AIS enabled fixed unit later when we upgrade that.

We currently have a less expensive Cobra that doesn't have DSC, but I like the ergonomics of it. I'm not sure the bright screen is necessary, though. The Uniden looks like it has a nice big screen, and it has bluetooth (as does the Cobra), although I'm not sure we would use that function. Both the Icom and the Horizons have FM instead of bluetooth (I guess you can only pack so much in a small package) - not sure we would use the FM, though.

I'm kind of attracted to the relatively large screen of the Horizons, as well as the dedicated volume and channel buttons. Although, since we're newbies to all of this, maybe this isn't very important.

Anyway, would appreciate any feedback!

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert and Karen,
I have the Standard Horizon in my crash bag, which I carry it to each of my boats, when I actually are using them. I too like the screen image and have been a fan of SH fixed mount and portables for at least the last 10 years.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have favored the Standard Horizon. (The Icom is also professional grade). The SH is by Vertex, a company which makes both HAM radio and commercial radio gear. They have a solid reputation. I avoid those whose main products were scanners or CB type of radio.

If your current radio does not have DSC--then you are not taking advantage of all safety features. To use DSC and those features, you have to get an MMSI number and program it into your radio. Without the MMSI number it will not give you the emergency facility.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a pair of Standard Horizons that we use when sea kayaking and also carry on the boat. I also have a Standard Horizon as my main fixed radio on my boat. I am very pleased with all of them and would not hesitate to buy these same radios again. All three of the radios have DSC and separate MMSI numbers. This is a safety feature that I would not skimp on. Being able to transmit and SOS message with the touch of a button is priceless in my opinion.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone. We have DSC on our current handheld, but it doesn't have an internal GPS like the ones I mentioned. I think that's kind of a no brainer feature, so we'll probably be going with the Standard Horizon, although they seem to be out of stock everywhere, of course Smile
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey will know

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromer wrote:
Harvey will know

Ahhh, Harvey will know what???? Confused Laughing

I use a pair of Standard Horizon HX851 Handheld VHF's and YES they have an on board GPS. and DSC. It is my understanding that the DSC will work without an MMSI number in the radio, BUT when activated it does not give out the identifier info that comes with an MMSI registration, SO, response time will be delayed.

I only found 1 Cobra Handheld that had a GPS, and none with DSC.

I used to have a Cobra Handheld VHF but changed to SH when they came out with the DSC and Floating versions. (Maybe 10 -12 years ago.)

I keep one on my inflatable pfd usually, and one in the ditch bag.

Thanks Dwight.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Icom M93D, slightly older model with GPS/DSC but no AIS. Great radio. I registered it to get an MMSI number, easy to do online if you’re a BoatUS member. It’s a chunky radio, too big for most pockets, but it has a belt clip. Also you can get an adapter to attach an external antenna and use it as your primary radio, also you can plug in a handheld mic/speaker, which I’ve done a few times. Nice backup feature. The screen shows GPS coordinates, which is handy for verifying location.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roamad wrote:
... Also you can get an adapter to attach an external antenna and use it as your primary radio, ...

Except that handheld radios have a max xmit power of 6 watts (some are less). A fixed VHF has a max of 25 watts.
Roamad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ssobol: Of course that is true and I wasn’t suggesting it as a permanent solution.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey wrote:
Quote:
I use a pair of Standard Horizon HX851 Handheld VHF's and YES they have an on board GPS. and DSC. It is my understanding that the DSC will work without an MMSI number in the radio, BUT when activated it does not give out the identifier info that comes with an MMSI registration, SO, response time will be delayed.

Below are direct quotes from the Public Information Officer, CG District NO #8. This person is a 33 year veteran of the CG and a very active Gulf Coast recreational boater and fisherman. I know the individual personally and he has stated many times that for DSC to work you must have the MMSI programmed in.

Quote:
The easiest thing to do is use your VHF DSC Distress button. WARNING, it doesn't work if it's not set up properly.

When you first power the radio up (like first second or two) an MMSI will show up on the screen if an MMSI has been programmed. You will also get some indication on the radio screen that you have a GPS signal in the radio. The language varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Next time you are with your boat, take a look.

As many boaters as there are in many areas, with VHF DSC alert, you can often get boaters on scene much more quickly. There is some lag time between when an EPIRB is activated and when the Coast Guard Issues a VHF Urgent Marine Information Broadcast. Those could be critical minutes. I'd encourage boaters in distress to activate both.

From CG web site: The MMSI number is a general all CG stations number. Each CG station also has a specific MMSI number

Quote:
For VHF DSC radios equipped with the Test Call feature, test transmissions should be made to the US Coast Guard MMSI 003669999 to receive an automated VHF DSC test response. You must use the “Test Call” category of your radio because “Individual” category calls to this address will not receive an automated response. For older radios not having a test call capability, testing can only be performed by using a routine individual call to their Maritime Mobile Service Indentity (MMSI).

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL A DSC DISTRESS ALERT BE SENT TO TEST YOUR RADIO. IT IS A VIOLATION OF THE RULES AND CAN RESULT IN HEAVY FINES.

From USPS web sight:

Quote:
Modern marine radios now feature Digital Selective Calling (DSC) for routine operations and for automated distress hailing.
These features can only be used if your radio is programmed with a unique code called a Maritime Mobile Service Identity, or MMSI.

Here is a discussion of DSC and video of the SH 890 use.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link Bob. It would be interesting to know what info is generated at the USCG when that video test comes in.

A "Red Button" DSC call from a VHF that has an assigned MMSI number, will show the boat description info that is supplied with the MMSI application along with the lat and long point of call. I believe that is what your USCG friend is refering to " . . . he has stated many times that for DSC to work you must have the MMSI programmed in.

A "Red Button" call can still be made without an MMSI, (at least in that generation of HH VHF) and It will send the call out but with only the GPS coordinates, and not include the boat description. I will have to recheck, but when I purchased 2 of the Standard Horizon HX851 Handheld VHF's, that is the information I was given by someone as SH when I was trying to decide if and what to do as far as programming my HH's. I have one programmed with my MMSI and one without.

From the link you provided.
Quote:
"DSC has several advantages in a distress situation including the ability to send an unmanned distress signal to the Coast Guard by pressing the red distress button located on all VHF radios that support DSC. The distress signal will include the Latitude and Longitude of the vessel if the VHF has an embedded GPS unit or is connected to the boat's chartplotter."

AS to "radio checks" there are some automated stations that you can call in to and get a recording that plays your call bask to you. I believe it is VHF 28. WE used to have one in Friday Harbor that I could get to from Sequim Bay and would check all 3 radios, both low and high power regularly. That station has been gone for years.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Roamad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The automated radio check stations, I believe, are gone from the West Coast. I have used Ch. 16 a few times recently with a prompt reply from fellow boaters and no friction from USCG (after installing a new VHF radio and then a new antenna). Of course, this does not test the MMSI, only the radio’s basic tx/rx functions.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roamad wrote:
... I have used Ch. 16 a few times recently with a prompt reply from fellow boaters and no friction from USCG ...

Depends on if it is a slow day on the water or not (or maybe which mud duck is monitoring). I've heard the CG tell people to knock it off (re radio checks) on ch 16 on the east coast. In the Bay area you often hear people asking for radios checks on ch. 16 a lot.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the PNW waters, a "Radio Check" call on 16 will get a prompt reply from USCG that that is the wrong channel for that and you are invited to try again on 22.

It's a shame that there are not more Auto Reply radio check places. They are very helpful.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: