The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Venting heat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C Sniper

City/Region: South Padre Island
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: C Sniper
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Venting heat Reply with quote

I am wanting to keep the temperature down inside the cabin when locked up and not in use. Mainly as I am hoping to minimize degradation to the power station that runs my mini a/c. If I can keep the inside below 104 I could even charge but that is not critical. I am considering putting in a Marinco (formerly nicro?) day night solar fan. Has anyone put one on the roof of a 22? I am planning to try to measure roof camber today as the vent documentation shows max of 1/2" per 12" for proper installation. Could do a hatch install too but the hottest air is going to be up high.

Any input appreciated as I hate the thought of cutting a huge hole in my roof and then regretting it later.

Another idea I had was putting a high output computer fan and PVC pipe behind a back rest cushion and vent thru the hole the electric comes into the cabin. Would probably have to cut another hole on the other side for opposing flow. In this case first first hole already exists and the second hole, if later regretted, would not overly visible unless you're looking for it or accessing storage under the bench seats as it would be hidden behind the back rest cushion. (I have the rare commuter version without kitchen and dinette table). Same issue as hatch option above as not venting out from the roof, I am guessing, would have less cooling effect given hot air rises.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a solar vent in the head on Journey On. It has worked great. I understand that your boat is neither a 25 or has a head. I also installed one on our 36' sailboat; worked great there also.

The job was easy. Just cut a hole and install the fan and battery. Ours has worked for >10 years. At least the fan has, the battery has crapped out a few years ago; someday I'll replace it. That's an easy job; just that I'm not motivated (lazy.)

The roof of Journey On is 1/2" thick over the cabins starboard aft corner. That was sufficient for the fan. No wires or screws.

Boris
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I can keep the inside below 104 I could even charge but that is not critical.

Ha Ha. We have different problems here in the Great White North. Today the temperature on my ranch in Alberta, Canada is -40C (-40F) outside and probably not much different inside my boat.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A no new hole option. Install computer fan in a pvc pipe/duct with the outlet going through the existing hole for the electrical wiring and the inlet pipe/duct run on the inside of the cabin up to the ceiling. For makeup air I open the center front window with the lock levers in the slot that allows it to be open only a crack - never had any rain enter and I do have a screen over the window for bugs and critters - works if you have a center opening window. Other solution - move to the northern tier with lots of fresh water and no salt corrosion.

Happy New Year, Jay
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway the C Dory25 has a Nico solar vent in the forward hatch and in the cabin aft just inside the cabin. These do help. No problem with installation, but I did not put them in.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thanks for the feedback. i grew up on the artic tundra, salt and corrosion are a small price to pay...
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two on my 22. One just above the galley, and the other in the berth hatch. No problem with roof camber. However, even though I also installed one in the head on my newer 25, I'm not all that impressed with the solar vent for their expensive cost. I'm not sure how well it would work to vent the heat out of your 22 in the Texas sun. Colby
C Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the spirit of crack the windows, which keeps my truck 20-40 degrees cooler than windows up on sunny days... just for when she is locked up and not in use.

Anyone care to chime in here, solar vent to keep the blast furnace at bay???
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I love that idea! I usually do keep the center window open just like you suggest, but need a way to get some air flow. The computer fan using the existing hole is something I am going to try!
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nico solar vent came with our boat. I’ve had to replace it once in the past 19 seasons. It’s mounted directly above the Wallas stove & works great for removing condensation from heating water & cooking, but I’m with Colby & others who doubt it would do much for reducing the kind of heat you’er wanting to.

Jay

C Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused, cracking the windows on a car does what I want to accomplish and the is passive venting. Am I missing something here??? I am not trying to air condition the boat with a solar fan, just keep the inside temp equal to or as close as possible to the outside temperature. Preferably below 104, but well below 140.

edit note, generally speaking the island never gets above 96, and seldom above 93..
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put a Nicro solar vent fan in the hatch over the v-berth. Silver bubble insulation in the windows. It made a difference whether here in the Tropical Tip or in the Pacific Northwest. Due to the potential for blowing sand and grit, I was not keen on leaving a hatch or window cracked unless we were in the boat.
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused here. It seems you (C Sniper) shot down the cracked window idea. I could see it not working well on the C Dory as a passive use because the window is at mid-level compared to a truck window near the roof but my suggestion was the cracked window as an air makeup for the fan (solar or computer) exhaust. Seems to me that a solar would be working all the time the sun is shining and that would be enough to keep the temps down to ambient or at least near that. I'm also assuming you are talking about when the boat is not in use. Am I missing something?

Happy New Year, Jay
C Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my confusion is growing here, when did I shoot down anything? The cracked window is a great way to get opposing air flow from a computer/solar fan, period.
C Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangent here... James, is the SD - Sandy Eggo? south dakota? other? none of my biz? haha. just curious

I appreciate your input given you have more experience with the dorys in local waters. thx again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: