The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Upgrading from Raymarine C Series to Axium ???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Upgrading from Raymarine C Series to Axium ??? Reply with quote

Upgrading from Raymarine C Series to Axium ???

Wondering how many here have made the switch from the old Raymarine C series (80 or 120) to the Axium? And if you went with the Pro or the Plus version? And If so, which did you choose? Why? And are you happy with what you got? Would you do the same switch again? If not, why not?

I am at the point of needing to make that decision and I see both pros and cons for each way so I’m looking to learn from others experience here. I am going to update the radar to the digital 2K, and the sounder, but that isn’t solid set yet either. Down and sidescan will require a new transducer to get the High Def bottom picture. How much better is that than the old transducer?

My current system is functioning well, with only very rare hiccups. I will have those parts for sale after the switch, if anyone is interested.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things to consider is that the "RealVision" is a definite improvement, combining down and side scan. The Radar is send via Wifi and will work with all about the same.

The Axiom plus is going to have a significantly faster processor, and to keep it from being obsolete, I would go that way for future updates.

I had a 9" touch screen and a 7" hybrid touch and dial/button. In heavy weather it is easier to use the dial/button method, vs the touch. In the 25, there was just enough room to put the 9" touch and then 7" hybrid (about the same size over all as the 9" touch) in front of the helm. Not sure if there is enough room in the 22 there or not.

Older auto pilot works with new system.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The Axiom plus is going to have a significantly faster processor, and to keep it from being obsolete, I would go that way for future updates."

Are not the Axium+ and the Axium Pro running the same processor?

I like the availability of the knobs, especially when it is a bumpy ride, so thinking of going with the Pro for that reason. Also, to keep greasy or wet fingers off the screen.

I have thought about having some way to rotate the transducer 90 degrees horizontally for use at slow speeds to see ahead for anchor spot prospecting.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: axiom+ 9 Reply with quote

Well I pulled the trigger on the axiom+ 9 RV with the RV transducer included. I also got a splitter so I can still work with the legacy P58. Should get to me in the next few days. I had an e7D. I do worry that the "touch only" could be problematic long term - we will see. The PRO models were much more money for features I didn't need (I run a furuno radar wifi to an ipad for example) - though the physical knobs are nice (note: apparently you "can" use one of the axiom ports to "add" the keyboard/knob controls).

The ATC blade fuse required is an odd 7A - I am thinking a 7.5A (more available) fuse will work fine.
krc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: And note... Reply with quote

The PRO does support 0138/2000 while the axiom non-pro only supports 2000.
So, for example, I cannot feed the MDF GPS location into my legacy horizon vhf unless I get a fairly expensive converter cable (articsense iirc). I am going to deal with this by using an old hand-held garmin gps that can output 0183 and use that to feed GPS until I upgrade the VHF as well and go 2000 network.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krc, I’ve used the touch screen on the IPad for 11 seasons now & not once has it been a problem to use & it has seen plenty of rough water use. I now also have the Axiom+ & used it last summerI & prefer it’s touch screen to the knobs & buttons of my older Garmin’s. You may end up like me, preferring the touchscreen.

Jay

Last edited by Hunkydory on Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older gps’s could only receive 12 satellites and accuracies were within about 90 feet. While the new units will receive 30 satellites and are accurate within about 9 feet. With the out of date electronics you stand a much better chance of hitting that rock just under the surface. I think I would update to newer devices that are compatible with the newer technologies.

krc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Agreed... Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
Older gps’s could only receive 12 satellites and accuracies were within about 90 feet..

This will be just temporary until I upgrade VHF next year sometime. I only have the old GPS handled fed into the horizon for DSC only. MFD has its own GPS which I hope should be very accurate.
drbridge

C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been contemplating upgrading some electronics. We have Raymarine C80 with Navionics, Radar and older auto pilot. We have a Garmin stand alone Depth sounder/fish finder that works very well. Also a Samsung Tab 10A android tablet with Navionics subscription. The thing I would like to update first is the radar because ours is old and we have no redundancy there if it fails. I know the new digital radar won't work with the C80, but if it is connected with WI-FI can I connect it to the Samsung tablet and if so can I do a radar overlay on the navionics map as I can currently do on the C80? Also, I am a bit confused by the WI-FI technology, as that implies to me that we would need internet conectivity. Is this really WI-FI or Bluetooth, or something else?
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, I don't know the answers to all your questions, but when I was talking with Rodgers, their recommendation for me was to go with the wired 2K digital. It does have the capability to do wifi, and I believe that generates from the radar to your tablet, so that might work. Not sure about the overlay, that might be a Navionics setting. Maybe someone here with a better understanding of that function can help out.

My initial motivation for the upgrade was for radar first (because I use my radar anytime the boat is running and) I was getting concerned that the Magnatron might give out in some really nice place like up at the far end of Knight Inlet or Blackfish Sound in the fog.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

drbridge

C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey
That is the same thing I am thinking.
Is this the one you are looking at?

https://www.raymarine.com/marine-radar/radomes/quantum2/
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, Yes, that is the one. That bolt pattern fits the current RM 2K and I just recently removed the old one to have the Strut powder coated and put back on with nylon bushings, washers and stainless hardware so the is no metal contact with the strut. (So hopefully it won't flake off like the previous one due to that contact.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the quantum wireless only Radar. It must have a password protected connection to your Axiom MFD to work with a tablet (or overlay--which is a RayMarine MFD display function.). You can mirror the MFD on tablets, and we do this if Marie had to watch radar or chart plotter when I was eyes on the water in reduced visibility.

There are some advantages to the wired--but passing the wires would have to be done when I put the power cable in--due to multiple other wires going thru the pipe Radar arch.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to change out my 17 year old Raymarine electronics system with a new Raymarine Axiom + system which will include the radar. At the moment I am trying to learn as much as I can about the various components and trying to put together the options into a system that I hope will last me for many more years. Raymarine has an excellent series of videos on YouTube and I just watched one on radar this morning. Many of these are about a hour long, so I am rationing myself to one a day. Here's the link if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bbj3ZgXmes

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter and Judy,

Thank you for posting this link. I learned much in viewing this first series. Great presentation from the staff at RayMarine to better understand how radar works and how to take advantage of the settings available on the RayMarine Quantum Radar. Gary.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: