View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken O

City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravens’ Roost
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Below-deck fuel tanks above deck? Reply with quote

I'm looking for options to add 10-15 gallons of fuel capacity to my C-22 Cruiser. I've read a lot of forums, articles and tests, and, being experienced with the wonderful new jerry can pouring spouts on land, I would really rather not deal with them on the water. That leaves 2 options as far as I can see: red tanks and tan tanks. The problem for me is that the shapes that would work best for me (getting in the way the least) are all tan tanks ("below-deck"). Is UV resistance the only issue here? Can I paint or cover one of these tanks and strap it in place in the cockpit? Does the Coast Guard care if I do so?

Some food for thought on portable cans: https://www.boatus.org/findings/43/

SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Below-deck fuel tanks above deck? Reply with quote

Ken O wrote:
I'm looking for options to add 10-15 gallons of fuel capacity to my C-22 Cruiser. I've read a lot of forums, articles and tests, and, being experienced with the wonderful new jerry can pouring spouts on land, I would really rather not deal with them on the water. That leaves 2 options as far as I can see: red tanks and tan tanks. The problem for me is that the shapes that would work best for me (getting in the way the least) are all tan tanks ("below-deck"). Is UV resistance the only issue here? Can I paint or cover one of these tanks and strap it in place in the cockpit? Does the Coast Guard care if I do so?

Some food for thought on portable cans: https://www.boatus.org/findings/43/

You could save a lot of money by using a 20$ 5 gallon can, taking that safety spout off and dumping into a large 10$ funnel. This is how I fill tractor, c dory, well..everything. The EPA spout is for looks.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at these photos from Robert Meyer's boat, Brazo. He found these special tanks that worked well on the back of his boat. I forget what size they are.

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to do the same and found a $100 solution that adds 45 litres (12 gallons) of fuel. I bought a 45 litre portable marine gas tank and it fits perfectly between my two built in tanks. I added a t - valve to my fuel line and attached it to the tank. It works perfectly and I can now carry 215 litres of of fuel with me. If I think I need more then I carry some jerry cans with me.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Ken O

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at several 12 gallon tanks, but they are all 14" (36 cm) wide, which just misses fitting between the 2 tanks in my 2000 C-22. I could make this work if I re-mounted these tanks slightly higher and nudged them outwards about 1/2" each. This is an option. The jerry cans and the funnel are also in the running.

Does anyone know anything about using "below-deck" tanks?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
? Can I paint or cover one of these tanks and strap it in place in the cockpit? Does the Coast Guard care if I do so?

The coast guard does not "care"--but the challenge will be a fill and venting of the Tank--the venting still needs to be overboard. Filling there is certainly going to be more fumes in the cockpit and possibly into the cabin--so that may be a safety issue.

Most paints will not stick well to the HDPE of the "below deck" tanks. I would make a canvas cover (could be Sunbrella, ShelterRite, or real Canvas..

You will want a fill extension which will not allow fuel to slosh out into the cockpit.

Another option is saddle tanks.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ken O

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. It looks like I can get a Moeller 12 gallon tank to fit between the main tanks if I move them a bit. We can lift it onto the dock to fill, and patch it in to the fuel filter/water separator when we need to use it. We can then also easily remove it when we won't need the extra fuel.

Bob, thanks for the details on the "below-deck" tank. I always appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share it.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the Saddle tanks get another mention. Would it be great if NMI would convert to Saddle Tanks with steps for egress. Would get the weight forward make egress easier and then with the aft tanks as an option, increase our range.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Safetythird

City/Region: Hopkinton
State or Province: MA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Look at these photos from Robert Meyer's boat, Brazo. He found these special tanks that worked well on the back of his boat. I forget what size they are.

I checked his album and couldn't find the info so I PM'd him.

Those are rotopax tanks for those not in the know.

They have a bunch of sizes and a decent looking mounting system.

I'm still trying to figure out where I can store everything in my '16 Cruiser, but I like the thought of tanks that will stay put.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken O wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. It looks like I can get a Moeller 12 gallon tank to fit between the main tanks if I move them a bit. We can lift it onto the dock to fill, and patch it in to the fuel filter/water separator when we need to use it. We can then also easily remove it when we won't need the extra fuel.

Bob, thanks for the details on the "below-deck" tank. I always appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share it.

I have 2 of them and they have worked out great. I really like being able to not have them on the boat as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: