The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2022 Chesapeake Bay Gathering (?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Tentative Dates: May 20-24 Reply with quote

Right now the weekend of May 21-22 looks to be the best for availability, weather, and general nice time of year to be out on the Bay!

I will request the admins provide an event listing, but if you're planning on attending, pencil in these dates!
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we would not be able to make it that weekend as the wife has to be back to work then. But several others at the Hontoon gathering sounded interested in doing the Chesapeake area. So you should have a good time and turn out.
daninPA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will schedule a couple of optional trips for those joining us in Havre de Grace, Maryland on the upper Chesapeake Bay on the weekend of May 21-22, 2022.

On Saturday, May 21, the Mount Harmon Plantation hosts the annual Revolutionary War Encampment. Mount Harmon is an easy hour's cruise from Havre de Grace to the Sassafras River on Maryland's Eastern Shore. It is a beautiful location with walking trails, restored buildings, a splendid view of the bay, and a visitor's dock (including a "dinghy dock" low enough for C-Dory crew!) The Encampment will include re-enactors, arts and crafts, food, music, and more.

While the Mount Harmon visit is recommended, those looking to simply cruise to the Sassafras River can follow along (there are a few "Bay-only" hazards that are best navigated with a guide). The Sassafras also offers some nice anchoring-out spots, pretty views, a well-marked channel, and the historic village of Georgetown.

On Sunday we plan to cruise north to the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal to Chesapeake City. The C&D is one of the world's busiest canals, but our shallow drafts will permit excursions out of the path of the tugs, barges, and ships. Chesapeake City is a destination with restaurants, spots for ship-watching, walking trails, and historic buildings.

Friday and Monday will be more impromptu trips for those wishing to explore the northern reaches of the Bay (including the Susquehanna River) or cruise south.

While the Have de Grace Municipal marina (see https://havredegracemd.gov/community/community-places/city-marina/) is full service (to include fuel, food, a ramp, and trailer parking), transient slips are first come-first served (no reservations). Tidewater Marina in town has slips available to reserve. There are other marinas in town (see https://hdgmarinas.com/two-marinas/).

As far as food and events -- I plan on bringing Pork Barbeque for Friday night get together for those who care to join us (all homemade, using locally-sourced Lancaster County, PA pork). I will probably be able to prevail on my lovey wife Janet to provide some marvelous baked goods for dessert. There are also a few outstanding ice cream shops nearby (one within walking distance) and fine and relaxed restauarants.

https://www.shorerivers.org/sassafras
https://mountharmon.org/
https://explorehavredegrace.com/
https://chesapeakecity.com/
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the plan to stay overnight in Chesapeake City? There are free docks (some sized just right for C-Dorys. The docks are free, but you must pay for electric. The free docks are near the Chesapeake Inn, so it can be a bit noisy in the evenings.

There is a nice museum about the C&D canal on the canal shoreline near the harbor.
daninPA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Is the plan to stay overnight in Chesapeake City? There are free docks (some sized just right for C-Dorys. The docks are free, but you must pay for electric. The free docks are near the Chesapeake Inn, so it can be a bit noisy in the evenings.

There is a nice museum about the C&D canal on the canal shoreline near the harbor.

Planning is flexible right now so all options are open!
Steven Dore

City/Region: Ocean Marine - Portsmouth, VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Orca
Photos: Orca
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first posts suggested a mid-bay gathering, however it seems that the discussion has moved to the extreme northern end (HdG and Chesapeake City) or the extreme southern end of the bay (James River and the loop) .

Is there still any interest in a mid-bay gathering? Maybe Reedville or Deltaville on the western shore, and Crisfield or Tangier Island on the eastern. I'm on the southern end of the bay and have single handed to St Michaels/HdG three times in the past. That's about 400 miles round trip by water, and considering fatigue and the current state of fuel prices, it could be a tough weekend.

Any thoughts ?
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about trailering? That might be easier and save some time.
Steven Dore

City/Region: Ocean Marine - Portsmouth, VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Orca
Photos: Orca
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat has been in dry storage since since I got her in 2004, so no trailer.
cptvic

City/Region: Quarryville
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: c-pearl
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairlee creek, Lankford bay,swan creek,rockhall.all have marinas and anchorage adjacent to.when we first got our Cory they had gathering at lankford( Chester river).
daninPA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

My apologies for the bouts of silence. Recent world events have made my workload -- unusually demanding.

Since this is our first event, we will keep the planning and logistics to a minimum. Instead, we'll set some dates and locations and recommend folks make arrangements. There are many, many options in the Chesapeake Bay and no way to accommodate all the excellent recommendations.

So here's the plan:
May 20-23
Home Port Location: Have de Grace, MD

Schedule:

Friday, May 20th: Meet up in the afternoon at a location to be determined by the weather. If it's a nice day we can beach or raft up at an island in the center of the upper bay just a few minutes from HdG. If it's not as nice we can meet at the HdG Municipal Marina.

Saturday, May 21: Cruise to the Sassafras River. Some may wish to dock at Mount Harmon Plantation to see the Revolutionary War encampment. Others may prefer to cruise further up the Sassafras.

Sunday, May 22: Cruise to Chesapeake City on the C&D canal (Walking trails, restaurants, historic village)

Monday, May 23: Open day to cruise wherever!

HdG Municipal marina has a ramp and reasonable transient slip and parking fees. There are other marinas in town for those so inclined. There are marinas in nearby towns within reasonable (<30 minutes) from HdG.

We ask that everyone make their own parking, slip and/or mooring arrangements as there is simply too wide an array of amenities and costs to pick any one spot (and satisfy everyone).

I hope this is the impetus for longer and more comprehensive gatherings in the future. But, we have to start somewhere!
daninPA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday afternoon rally point: 39°29.645'N, 76°05.012'W
MaxDad

City/Region: Ellwood City
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Resilience
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: Gathering Reply with quote

Hello! I am new to c brats and got my 2006 c dory just last year. I have a slip in Annapolis this year and would love to participate in any Chesapeake gathering.
daninPA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gathering Reply with quote

MaxDad wrote:
Hello! I am new to c brats and got my 2006 c dory just last year. I have a slip in Annapolis this year and would love to participate in any Chesapeake gathering.

Great! We’re looking forward to seeing you in Havre de Grace!
BBlalock

City/Region: Ocean/ICW
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Finale
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure wish we could make it. Maybe next time.
Benton

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Chesapeake CBGT was at Lankford in 2005. We had a wedding on Long Island and we came a week early. We had planned to cruise with Bill and El on Halcyon, but Tom Callahan (Otter) contacted us out of the blue to offer us the use of his CD22 for the week following the CBGT. The highlight of the event for me was "Banjoman" Tom McHugh. Here are a few photos!

Tom McHugh played tunes from his album Cheapeake Scenes. Our favorite was "The Chester River Song."

We had just flown in on an overnight flight from seattle, and I fell asleep listening to the music!

Jeff Messmer, C-Dory sales manager, now with Ranger Tug came out for the event.

We were originally going to be guests on Halycon with Bill and El Fiero.

But then the Callahans - Claire, Kathy and Tom - graciously loaned us their boat of the week following the event!

We cruised to Rock Hall - I really like this shot of the C-Pod!

Halcyon and a Chesapeake work boat - notice the similarity in the lines?

This was an incredibly memorable CBGT for us!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: