The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2022 Chesapeake Bay Gathering (?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many days should be allocated for this loop?
daninPA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chesapeake is huge and has a vast number of suitable locations. If it makes sense, we can use Havre de Grace as the assembly point and schedule a series of day cruises all around the northern end of the bay.

Destinations such as the C&D canal, Sassafras River, and the Bay Bridge are all within range.

Let me know if there’s interest in this option and I will start making inquiries at suitable marinas, launches, and parking areas.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA wrote:
How many days should be allocated for this loop?

Depends on where you start from and how much time you spend in each place. When we did it, we started up the Chickahominy River, stopped in Hampton and Norfolk, cruised to the Albemarle sound, visited a few towns on the sound, and returned through Norfolk and Smithfield. All told it was 13 days.

However, if you start near Norfolk and just do the loop as shown it is 3-4 days. On the Dismal Swamp canal you have to work with the lock schedule (they only operate a few times/day). There is another lock on the ICW at Great Bridge and some bridges, but they operate pretty much on demand.
Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would join depending on when in May. We have 2 graduations we will need to work around. If this event doesn't work for us we hope to explore the area sometime this spring or summer. Hopefully, we could meet up with some that know the area as we have never been.
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2005, there was a CBGT at Lankford Bay Marina with over 30 boats attending. It a very nice facility.

Nick
“Valkyrie II”
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been any more thought or planning on this? My wife has vacation available in both May and June. The Friday Harbor gathering is in May, however due to travel time and some other reasons for heading out west, (primarily to visit with my brother and to do some cruising around the San Juan Islands), we would have very limited time to swing into that gathering. With the possibility of a Chesapeake gathering, somewhere we've never been and would enjoy checking out, looking at weather and maximizing boat travel with my wife to new destinations, it makes sense to go east in May and west in June. Our May time frame would allow us to be in the Chesapeake area between May 6-15. That's giving us 3 days travel time each way, which of course will depend on where the East Coast gathering will be held.
My suggestions for a gathering, from experience at other gatherings, is primarily having a nearby location for launching that provides relatively secure and inexpensive rig parking for a week or two. If the gathering is primarily a stationary event at a marina, it would be good to have daily activities or short cruises planned. If the gathering is a cruise, then some ideas for anchorages at night, or marinas for those that prefer. (I can do either.) While the few group cruises I've been on with Jim & Kath from Pounder have involved parking at one end then having to rent a car to travel back at the end to pick up our rigs to come back and get our boats, I would much rather prefer we end up where we start. Just my two cents anyway. Thanks. Colby
daninPA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed there has been no insignificant time pouring over Waterway Guide and Maps to identify best locales.

It seems the upper Chesapeake offers the best combination of reasonable driving distance, water access, marinas, and day-trip locations. I would prefer a central location as a base rather than a one-way boat ride.

I will put more options up here soon.
Sasscom

City/Region: St. Michaels
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ViewFinder
Photos: ViewFinder
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: 2022 Chesapeake Bay Gathering Reply with quote

We would love to join fellow C-Dory owners. May is a great time to be on the Chesapeake Bay. July and August can be extremely hot and humid. We have a couple of guest slips at our home in downtown St. Michaels and are near two marinas that often host large gatherings. St. Michaels is a wonderful waterfront town and is home to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. There is also a launching ramp right in town. We're also not far from Annapolis on the Western Shore and the quaint town of Oxford on the Eastern Shore. Please keep us posted. We'd be happy to help coordinate things.
(BTW, I am a semi-retired writer and photographer for the boating industry, and perhaps I could get us some coverage.) Sounds like a lot of fun!

Suzuki 150s
daninPA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St Michaels would be a lovely destination! Perhaps those of us who are closer to the upper bay can meet up and flotilla down?
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming St Michaels is Maryland. Looks like about 896 miles from my home, so doable in two days, which would give us two more days on the water. Smile Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do St. Michaels area (Oxford, Tilghman Island, Annapolis, Chestertown, etc.) you probably want to start from Sandy Point State Park near the Bay bridge. The advantage is that the price is very reasonable for a nice launch facility and you can park there for up to 14 days for the launch price (the parking limit is not strictly enforced AFAIK). Kent Narrows is also a good starting point, but I don't know about the parking arrangements. I have launched out of Sandy Point for multi-night excursions on the Bay a number of times without any problems.

If you want to anchor out, the Wye Island NMRA is a nice area, but the black flies during the day can be a b**ch in warm weather.

But again, you need to choose whether you want a north bay or mid-bay experience. Allowing only a few days for a gathering pretty much means you should pick one or the other.

If you want to do the north bay, then Havre de Grace is a good place to start. The parking there is the launch fee ($10 two years ago) for a any number of days. There is (was) no published limit how long you can park, you just have to let the dockmaster know when you plan to be back.

Some of the places mentioned have limited moorings available for transients. 5 or 6 boats is probably ok without specific arrangements (especially during the week). If you are talking about 30 boats, better to have this arranged in advance with the destination marinas otherwise the boats are going to be scattered around the available moorings, which will probably be in different marinas.

Also, be prepared for the prices. Some places are pretty inexpensive (e.g Chesapeake City = free (without power), but not a lot of spaces). St. Michaels or Annapolis could be around $100/night for a 22 with power. Depends on what else is happening when the gathering occurs. Got to figure on ~$3/foot LOA when thinking about marinas for short term transients on a weekend. This gives an idea of the rate+power. Some places have 2 night minimums and/or minimum fees. For instance, one marina in St. Michaels had an $80 minimum + $15 power/night in 2021 on weekends. Having a group show up may enable a discount. FWIW, where I live in MI, the transient rate is ~$30/night including power.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
St. Michaels or Annapolis could be around $100/night for a 22 with power.

Ouch. I won't even pay that for a hotel! lol. We can always anchor out if it starts to get that expensive. But again, if the gathering is including group activities or socialization at a marina, I'd find somewhere reasonably priced. $2/foot at no more than a 25 ft minimum is what I would consider the extent of reasonable. Colby
daninPA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$100 per night is a bit excessive. Since this is the first attempt I’m not expecting more than 10 boats. Also, given the many choices in the area within reasonable towing / cruising distance we will plan on day cruises from a central, reasonably priced location. That said, I think a day cruise to St Michaels is a fantastic idea!
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasscom,

George, many years ago did you have a 43 custom down-east boat built specifically to do the Loop with your family that was documented, as I recall, in Soundings? And later had a bunch of great cruising destinations (which we free-loaded using)? Is your great info still available anywhere?

Apologies if you’re not that couple.

We’ll be trailering Cat O’ Mine down to the AGLCA Winter Rendezvous in Ft. Meyers, FL this week on the only trailer boat on the Looper Boat Crawl with 3,000 miles and 200 locks. After nine years with this boat we’ll be heading back up to the Chesapeake again in May or June. At this rate we hope to be in the Looper Class of 2032, or maybe 2038 (if we see a barrier island or a bright shiny object).

Hope to see you on the water some day!

John and Eileen

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, given the many choices in the area within reasonable towing / cruising distance we will plan on day cruises from a central, reasonably priced location. That said, I think a day cruise to St Michaels is a fantastic idea!

Great! My kind of gathering! After towing the boat long distances, I like to do more than just sit at the dock. Wink Besides I’m better at piloting than socializing. Mr. Green Sounds like this will shape up to be a good time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: