The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2022 Chesapeake Bay Gathering (?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be fun to watch. Sorry I won't be able to be there (home is the upper left corner of the upper west state } the local call it skwim. Today we don't get any more snow. Yesterday 8 inches. May is Friday Harbor C-Brat Get Together and it's a bunch closer. Ours started small, and has been going for over 16 years now, with somewhere between 40 to 50 boats.

On a brand new event it is hard to judge but getting some commitment early on will help as far as the numbers go. With as nice a folks as the C-BRATS it doesn't take long for the marinas to get comfortable with our groups and realize the benefit to their marina.

All the best as you go forward with this event. AS soon as you get a date, ask the Admin guys for an Event signup sheet.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great— thanks for the encouragement!

Let’s hope we start small enough and grow as more CBrats join the east coast club!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA wrote:
Great— thanks for the encouragement!

Let’s hope we start small enough and grow as more CBrats join the east coast club!

If you build it, they will come.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I assume most east coast folks aren't planing on towing to the west coast.

Maybe so, but those of us in the Midwest can go either way, being in the middle. Wink I'm still waiting for my wife to get her vacation schedule so we can plan heading out to the PNW to visit my brother, hopefully around the Friday Harbor gathering time. However, if her schedule pans out for June instead, you'll likely see me show up for any Chesapeake gathering in May! Smile Colby
daninPA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Quote:
I assume most east coast folks aren't planing on towing to the west coast.

Maybe so, but those of us in the Midwest can go either way, being in the middle. Wink I'm still waiting for my wife to get her vacation schedule so we can plan heading out to the PNW to visit my brother, hopefully around the Friday Harbor gathering time. However, if her schedule pans out for June instead, you'll likely see me show up for any Chesapeake gathering in May! Smile Colby

You will most certainly be welcome if you choose to head east.

Smile
daninPA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many options that any choice will disappoint someone, but as I come across dates and events I will post them here and see what generates the most enthusiasm!

First consideration: The weekend of May 21st the Harmon Plantation hosts the annual Revolutionary War and Colonial Encampment. Harmon Plantation overlooks the beautiful Sassafras River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. The River has several secluded coves for anchoring out and a few marinas that may be able to host a dozen or so boats (with sufficient advanced notice). It can also be a day cruise for those traveling from the C&D canal, and other upper Chesapeake locations, Baltimore, and as far south as the Chesapeake Bay bridge. For those trailering, Havre de Grace has a nice public ramp with ample parking, easy access to major highways, and all services and amenities (including a farmers market and really good locally made ice cream shop!).

Mount Harmon: https://mountharmon.org/
Have de Grace: https://explorehavredegrace.com/business-categories/marinas-and-outdoors/
Sassafras River Marina: http://www.sassafrasharbormarina.com/

Stay tuned for the next suggestion!
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We’re planning on going back to the Chesapeake then to the SC AICW in early summer as a Great Loop segment.

We didn’t get to Tangier Island or the south bay on the last adventure. Herrington South is very nice as far as five star marina resorts go with over 600 slips and such extravagant flowers and landscaping that it’s a wedding venue.

https://www.herringtonharbour.com/

From Norfolk we plan the Dismal Swamp, the docks on the Albemarle sound that have 30A power (Hertsford, Albemarle Plantation, Edenton, Mackey’s, Columbia) with side trips to Manteo and Ocracoke, Beaufort down to the Waccamaw river, takeout at Waca Weche (wicked side current except at slack tides) then rental car back to pick up the rig. An easy 600-700 water miles.

Don’t count us as officially signing on, but I’ll be watching as your plans develop. The Chesapeake is fantastic cruising, though we had two days of official gales and 5 more days of SCA where we stayed in port. With all that rain the heated pools at the marinas were not warm enough for us. And that’s the worst thing we have to say about cruising on the Chesapeake! Too many Must Sees to list!

Colby,
May would be a great time to cruise down to FL; the snowbirds are heading north and even a Bimini side trip might have the Gulf Stream flat as a pancake. Even if your GPS is on the fritz, you can just follow the Floridians on jet skis.

Cheers!
John

daninPA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next option: Rock Hall, Maryland.

It is an attraction all its own, but also can be a launch point for a day cruise to Chestertown on the Chester River on Maryland's Eastern Shore, It's the home port for the Schooner Sultana. It's also a historic town with a nice public marina. Otherwise, there are miles of river bends and coves to anchor out.

There are several nice Marinas in Rock Hall, and with advanced notice we can probably secure a dozen slips.

https://chesapeakebaymagazine.com/chester-river/

https://chesapeakebaymagazine.com/sultana-to-set-sail-again-on-chester-river/
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm able to make it, my vote would be for anywhere with a launch ramp and safe parking, preferably free or at a reasonable cost ($5/night), and where we could leave our rigs parked for a week or two. Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
If I'm able to make it, my vote would be for anywhere with a launch ramp and safe parking, preferably free or at a reasonable cost ($5/night), and where we could leave our rigs parked for a week or two. Colby

When I used to launch out of the public marina in Havre de Grace MD., the fee was a flat $10. I don't know if there is a limit to the number of days, but we've been out from there for 5-6 days without any problem. They just want to know when you plan on coming back (they write it on the parking stub).

If you launch out of Sandy Point State Park (by Annapolis) you can be out for 14 days for a flat fee of under $10 (rate depends on the season).

There is a boat launch from Susquehanna State Park (just up the river from HdG). There parking is $10/night and you can only park for 4 nights (last time I checked).

Chestertown is much nicer than Rock Hall. The Sultana may or may not be there. It is a good haul to Chestertown from HdG.

Chestertown and Rock Hall are mid bay. HdG is the north end. For a week or two of cruising, both are doable. If the gathering is only a long weekend, probably be better to pick one area.

If you are thinking of the mid bay, then there is also the Annapolis area, Baltimore Inner Harbor, and St. Michaels. The problem with the Chesapeake is that there are too many choices.
daninPA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
colbysmith wrote:

When I used to launch out of the public marina in Havre de Grace MD., the fee was a flat $10. I don't know if there is a limit to the number of days, but we've been out from there for 5-6 days without any problem. They just want to know when you plan on coming back (they write it on the parking stub).

If you launch out of Sandy Point State Park (by Annapolis) you can be out for 14 days for a flat fee of under $10 (rate depends on the season).

There is a boat launch from Susquehanna State Park (just up the river from HdG). There parking is $10/night and you can only park for 4 nights (last time I checked).

Chestertown is much nicer than Rock Hall. The Sultana may or may not be there. It is a good haul to Chestertown from HdG.

Chestertown and Rock Hall are mid bay. HdG is the north end. For a week or two of cruising, both are doable. If the gathering is only a long weekend, probably be better to pick one area.

If you are thinking of the mid bay, then there is also the Annapolis area, Baltimore Inner Harbor, and St. Michaels. The problem with the Chesapeake is that there are too many choices.

Very true!

The HdG marina still lists the charge at $10 per day. Susquehanna State Park is an option but if there’s been a decent rain within 48 hours the River can be a boiling mass of debris.

I was planning for a long weekend trip— Friday through Sunday (assuming that most will want to avoid memorial weekend).
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through good fortune and the timing of a wedding we were attending in New York, we were able to attend the very first Eastern Shore Gathering in 2005. We were going to cruise for a week after the gathering as Bill and El Fiero's guests on Halcyon, but out of the blue Tom and Kathy Callahan from Alexandria, VA, offered us the use of their CD 22 Otter for the week. Tom has dropped out of sight here on C-Brats but I have been able to re-establish contact, and we have offered him the use of Daydream to cruise the San Juan Islands and Canadian Gulf Islands, if the border ever really opens up without all the hoops you have to jump through now. I hope he takes us up on this offer.

One of the highlights of this gathering was Banjoman Tom McHugh playing tunes from his album Chesapeake Scenes. That is still some of our favorite music. Our favorite is "The Chester River Song," but they are all wonderful!

I took many of the photos in the album for that wonderful gathering. You may enjoy perusing the album.

Here is one of my favorites - Halcyon and a Chesapeake work boat in the early morning light. There is a certain similarity in their lines!

We are not likely to return, it is too far and we are now too old to make the drive, but it certainly is still a very fond memory!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

kevinnuckles@icloud.com

City/Region: Yorktown
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: SEA STAR
Photos: SEA STAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: CHESAPEAKE GATHERING Reply with quote

We could, potentially, be interested. Lower bay, Yorktown to Cape Charles or
Norfolk ICW to Albemarle would be great. MIddle Bay is doable. Steve, if this ends up being upper bay, we might still be interested in making a trip out of Portsmouth/Norfolk. We stayed close to home last year to test the boat out, but should be ready to go in the Spring..
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CHESAPEAKE GATHERING Reply with quote

kevinnuckles@icloud.com wrote:
We could, potentially, be interested. Lower bay, Yorktown to Cape Charles or
Norfolk ICW to Albemarle would be great. MIddle Bay is doable. Steve, if this ends up being upper bay, we might still be interested in making a trip out of Portsmouth/Norfolk. We stayed close to home last year to test the boat out, but should be ready to go in the Spring..

We tried to do this loop a couple of years ago. But the Dismal swamp canal was closed due to hurricane damage. Did spend some time on the Albemarle sound though. Lots of places let you dock for 48 hours for free.

There used to be a C-Dory joint excursion that did this every year or so, starting on the James River.

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol,

Joan and I have hosted Virginia/North Carolina the mini loop trim many times and would be delighted to do it again. The Dismal Swamp Canal is clear and open and most of the trip is in areas that aren't to exposed, if the WX is bad.

Kevin,
Touch base and lets go on a mini cruise, when you have time. My dock is yours to use for boating in the Hampton Roads area.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: