The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Elco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Elco Reply with quote

Anyone have or used a 5HP Elco electric as a kicker on a small (16') Dory?
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems way over priced. I thought maybe the price included the battery, but nope. I'd be concerned that the amount of electricity required would mean a sophisticated (i.e., expensive) battery or batteries, since it is 24V. It looks like two Group 27 lead acid batteries would do it, but that's 150 pounds to put somewhere aboard. Lithium would be great, but the battery's BMS might cause nuisance tripping before you could get 5hp out of the engine. And lithium would be a >$1,000 battery.

Given the expense of the battery (and lithium being the only thing available because of weight), I'd be tempted to go cheap on the motor. Of course, it will still cost >$1,000 for a battery that will work. You simply can't get 5hp out of an inexpensive battery.

https://www.amazon.com/VPABES-Electric-Outboard-Brushless-Propeller/dp/B08G8543N9/ref=asc_df_B08G8543N9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=507673487887&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9825917972478355126&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033557&hvtargid=pla-1424190198672&psc=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zuunami

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco, yeah, I know, and the Elco is 65 pounds itself. With regard to the Hangkai, it surprises me that we didn't run across it in our electric search, I think we've watched 200 hours of videos Smile Might be an interesting introduction to electric, if you just assume going in that it may not work for long. The lithium battery issue is a whole other thing - lots to learn there, compatibility between brands, types, and so much more.

That's why Torqeedo and Epropulsion are still attractive to us, but $2600 for either, when you don't really know how it's going to push your boat in an emergency (even though we are fair weather, very close to home, boaters), makes it hard to make the experimental jump Smile But we're kind of leaning there for some quiet river navigation, and pay for the tow home in an emergency - just kidding...kind of lol
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why not just get a trolling motor? You could use the batteries you already have on board. Yeah, you might kill them, but having to use the trolling motor to get home is a non-normal situation already. Trolling motors are a lot less than $2600. You can replace a lot of batteries for $2600.
zuunami

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol, yes, have thought of that too, and it's still under consideration. Watched a very short video of two identical dinghys racing a short bit, one with a torqeedo (supposed 5hp) and one with a Honda 2.3hp gas, and they were neck and neck Smile The other obvious option is just a gas 6hp - probably Tohatsu or Suzuki. We change our minds every day, each system definitely has its pros and cons. We just wanted to get away from weight, gas and maintenance, but aren't excited about jumping into a system that you can't work on yourself, or that you have to ship for service Smile
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
It seems way over priced. I thought maybe the price included the battery, but nope. I'd be concerned that the amount of electricity required would mean a sophisticated (i.e., expensive) battery or batteries, since it is 24V. It looks like two Group 27 lead acid batteries would do it, but that's 150 pounds to put somewhere aboard. Lithium would be great, but the battery's BMS might cause nuisance tripping before you could get 5hp out of the engine. And lithium would be a >$1,000 battery.

Given the expense of the battery (and lithium being the only thing available because of weight), I'd be tempted to go cheap on the motor. Of course, it will still cost >$1,000 for a battery that will work. You simply can't get 5hp out of an inexpensive battery.

https://www.amazon.com/VPABES-Electric-Outboard-Brushless-Propeller/dp/B08G8543N9/ref=asc_df_B08G8543N9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=507673487887&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9825917972478355126&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033557&hvtargid=pla-1424190198672&psc=1

I like the quiet and flexibility of electrics, but I'd be very concerned about the veracity of the Hangkai motor listed at Amazon. It specs 1200 watts, which is more like 1.6 hp at 747 watts/hp. That would be about 135 lb thrust, depending on what conversion you use. It also claims a speed of 18 km/h, wich would require the boat to plane, so probably a graphite boat with a hobbit pilot? Elco claims 5 hp for 3000 watts (and 24 volts for Elco vs 48 volts for Hangkai), which would convert to 4 hp, so it is close. Torqueedo claims 3 hp for 1100 watts, but claims "efficiencies" that would make it perform more like a 3 hp rather than 1.5 hp at 747 watts/hp. Online tests with dinghies show the Torqeedo and the EPropulsion a little less powerful at WOT than a gasoline Honda 2.3, and Suzuki, Yamaha and Selva 2.5s.

https://www.mby.com/video/best-2-3hp-outboard-motors-electric-petrol-group-test-117786
zuunami

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robhwa, just watched that video this morning, one of the better videos, I thought. Yes, we're probably a no on the Hangkei, and other "regular" electrics, just because we don't have the expertise right now to start buying lithium - we just have two deep cycles now for our main. We'll probably either go with a Torqeedo or Epropulsion, or just get a gas 6HP. I keep finding reasons NOT to go with the Torqeedo or Epropultion, but I still illogically keep thinking about them Smile
CaptainWanabe

City/Region: Guntersville
State or Province: AL
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Electric Outboard motors Reply with quote

https://www.fluxmarine.com/outboards

I just saw these new electric outboard motors from Flux Marine. If anyone has any experience with these motors or if anyone has insight to what it would take to run 2 of their 40hp motors on a Venture 26’. How many solar panels it would take. Etc.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Outboard motors Reply with quote

CaptainWanabe wrote:

I just saw these new electric outboard motors from Flux Marine. If anyone has any experience with these motors or if anyone has insight to what it would take to run 2 of their 40hp motors on a Venture 26’. How many solar panels it would take. Etc.

For starters this is not a proven company, and I don't believe that there have been any retail sales. One of my concerns is that these are relative less expensive that other larger outboard motors. What is the long term longevity of these motors? It is unknown.

Two 40 hp electric outboards on a Venture 26? That would give you displacement cruising speed--it would don't plane the boat, so you would be limited to speeds in the 8 knot range in all practical use. The range of the boat would depend on the battery capacity.

Solar Panels? You want to run the outboards on solar panels, without the extensive Li'FePO4 battery bank it will require? It would take more than the surface available on the Venture 26. That would be just to charge a battery bank--not run the boat directly.

Figure even with the cheaper Li batteries you would be looking in the $50,000 range for at least 48 volt battery packs. Many of the electric motors with higher HP are running higher voltage systems.

Not going to happen.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CaptainWanabe

City/Region: Guntersville
State or Province: AL
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Outboard motors Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
CaptainWanabe wrote:

For starters this is not a proven company, and I don't believe that there have been any retail sales. One of my concerns is that these are relative less expensive that other larger outboard motors. What is the long term longevity of these motors? It is unknown.

Two 40 hp electric outboards on a Venture 26? That would give you displacement cruising speed--it would don't plane the boat, so you would be limited to speeds in the 8 knot range in all practical use. The range of the boat would depend on the battery capacity.

Solar Panels? You want to run the outboards on solar panels, without the extensive Li'FePO4 battery bank it will require? It would take more than the surface available on the Venture 26. That would be just to charge a battery bank--not run the boat directly.

Figure even with the cheaper Li batteries you would be looking in the $50,000 range for at least 48 volt battery packs. Many of the electric motors with higher HP are running higher voltage systems.

Not going to happen.

Thanks for your response Thataway. I agree that the price point has to come down more on batteries for electric propulsion to be a possibility. Also the Flux brand of electric OB motors is just getting started. The motors will have to be proven first before most would consider purchasing their motors. It would be great to one day have a reliable electric propulsion system on a C-Dory. Only time will tell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: