The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Moisture control under v-berth mattress
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dry-Den Reply with quote

Boater Rob wrote:
We used this product under our vee berth on our sailboat and under the settee also. If you kneel right on the product it will compact it some. It worked really well for us and when it had the foam on top, it did not crush when crawling in. My wife said it was fairly easy to install. It stopped the condensation under the mattress and we used the boat in the winter time, spending several days onboard when the temp was in the lower 40's. When we were not on the boat we do run a small dehumidifier that sits in the sink and keeps some air flow going. We received good customer service from them too.

Boater Bob, I had to look several times, --> Dry-Den. Is that what you used? How, or which product?

Jim, I have never run the Wallas over night. Didn't want to run the battery too low, but I do run the CPAP (Priorities Rolling Eyes
and it moves air continually so I think that helps. The forward hatch is always open at least to where the latches catch. Depends if I'm at anchor or at a dock.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Hypervent. We lived aboard fulltime for 2 years on two different boats (30’ houseboat and a 35’ yacht) and used it both times to great success.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might mention that "Thataway" C Dory 25, had the Nico Solar vents in the foreword hatch, and over the top of the cabin all of the way aft. There was a passive Nico vent over the area under the splash well, with extra louvered vents in the access hatches in the aft end of the cockit. That extra ventilation and air flow also helps.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Boater Rob

City/Region: Albany
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 18-8 Toland
Vessel Name: Sea Pony
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, yes we used the Dry-Den
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the same problem with moisture under the mattress and in the cabin and berth overall. Being from bone dry Alberta we are probably hyper sensitive to the moisture when we are on the coast. We boat mostly off Vancouver Island, but have had our boat in the water from the Yukon to Lake Powell. We tend to attract bad weather when we are on the water, even sitting out a three day downpour on Lake Powell. I find the boat seems to get wetter when you are just sitting that cruising, probably because of the lack of ventilation that you get when the boat is moving. Solving the moisture under the mattress was just part of our moisture control strategy and sitting our storms in the Broughton's and Nootka Sound this summer proved that we were on the right track. We lined the entire berth area and the cabin ceiling with a marine headliner fabric. This product was glued on and it very complicated to install, but it does work well. We put this under the mattress as well and it has helped keep the mattress drier. But what I think is more important was to increase the heating and ventilation in the boat. We have a Wallace, which works ok to heat the cabin, but in an extended storm swinging on the hook, it was not enough. So I added a Wabatso diesel heater with a return air hose pulling heated air into the v-berth area and this works very well. The forced air moves a lot of air throughout the cabin. Also a solar powered vent was added in the cabin which helps to move more air out of the cabin. We also changed most of our bedding and sheets from cotton to polyester which does not hold the moisture as much. The result being that we didn't have to crawl into a damp feeling bed in the evening. Overall the system works well, but it is still good to lift the mattress up and open the hatches and windows when the sun comes out to dry things out. We split our horseshoe shaped mattress in two so that it is easier to lift and remove. Is our boats interior as dry as it is in Alberta? No, but it is more comfortable and a dripping ceiling is a thing of the past.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the reply.
I talked to someone at Mac's Upholstery in Seattle about their Hypervent and I'm waiting for a shipping quote from them. this product is very similar but seem a bit stiffer then the HYPERVENT AIRE-FLOW™ MOISTURE BARRIER, its also a bit more expensive ($12.50 vs $10/ft).I also find a rain shield for house siding that look extremely similar to the Dry-Den, I was able to order it at home depot with free shipping and easy return. It was same price as the smaller den-dry but it should be enough to cover at least 4 v-berth, so if it work good, I'll have some available for local sale Very Happy .
Now for part two of moisture mitigation. Having little experience with it, it make me sleep better to always turn the wallas off for the night, Should I not be concern with this? How many of you keep it going all night?

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Having little experience with it, it make me sleep better to always turn the wallas off for the night, Should I not be concern with this? How many of you keep it going all night?

We usually turn the Wallace off overnight, but we have used it all night if it is especially cold. I prefer to run it with an energy free Eco-Fan which circulates the air and does not drain the battery. It is also very quiet which the the Wallace Fan is not. I always have some ventilation open at night, usually the hatch above the berth and another window, but it a big storm we usually shut these down as well. I like the forced air Wabatso as it heats up the cabin really quick, whereas the Wallace take much longer. You can set the Wabasto on a timer to run sometime overnight, but I usually don't do this. I find that when trying to dry out the cabin, it is good to get it really warm inside and then open things up to push the warm humid air out. Sometimes I will crank the heat and then hop in the kayak for a short paddle. In the rainy PNW I find that I need to work daily on trying to keep the moisture level in the boat at a reasonable level. Doing this is a lot easier than trying to dry things out when everything is really damp.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to look this one up. I have used the Eco Fan, but this post from Scan Marine is in our archives: The bottom line is that you don't save much power, and there could be damage to the stove if you didn't run the stove with the lid closed--heating mode.

Quote:
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:10 pm Post subject: Wallas current draw, fuel burn Reply with quote
The Wallas 85D/270 combination is only intended for use as a heating device with the lid down (blower fan running).

The current draw and diesel fuel burn for this stove/heater is as follows:

Lid up, lowest power setting: .15 amps, 3 ounces per hour
Lid up, highest power setting: .25 amps, 6.5 ounces per hour

Lid down, lowest power setting: .5 amps, 3 ounces per hour
Lid down, highest power setting: .75 amps, 6.5 ounces per hour

Running the stove continuously with the lid up and not cooking can bring about system shut downs based on overheating. Lower power settings may prevent this.

As you can see from above, the difference between lid up and lid down power draw at low power is only .35 amperes. This means a fully charged 200 amp/hour battery could power this heater for 400 hours with the lid down. Unless you don't plan on starting your engine or charging your batteries for 6 days, use your lid!

If your lid blower is making a lot of noise, it may have a bent rotor. This is something we can address if your unit come in for servicing.

Thanks for using Wallas!
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t be concerned with it running at night, but we never have, as we sleep best with cold air & warm blankets. Besides, the biggest contributor to condensation forming on the inside of the boat along with breathing & heating water, during high humidity is the difference in temperature between the inside & outside of the boat. I’ve never been able to create enough air flow from inside to outside, if it’s around 40 degrees & raining, no matter how much the dry heat to stop the condensation. In fact the higher the heat, the more the condensation. In these conditions only enough insulation will prevent the condensation forming. We’ve experienced in SE Alaska during April & May these conditions many times. Yes, when the humidity is moderate & the temperature not to extreme, all the remedies mentioned so far in this thread will work fairly well. Over the years & cruises in SE Alaska, experiencing the many different conditions affecting the inside condensation in the boat, we’ve worked out what works best for us. Keeping the temperature inside the boat just high enough with sufficient clothing & ventilation to be comfortable. Adding more heat & then increasing the ventilation can turn into a catch 22. Heating during the night, when it’s difficult or impossible to ventilate sufficiently, will increase the condensation.

Also heating or cooking with unventilated propane like using a Buddy Heater or Coleman type propane stove will greatly increase condensation. During the times we lost use of the Wallas & turned to the Buddy Heater & coleman stove created our very worst condensation events.

Jay

C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good info, thanks. In my last outing, it got a bit below freezing at night, a lot of condensation in the morning and it took several hours to clear (except for under the mattress which never did got dry) with the wallas only. I should probably look into improving the ventilation also but at those temperature, it might be something I have to leave with.
I do have a noisy blower on the stove , if I wiggle the lid a bit it quiet down but only for a couple few minutes, Wondering if I have a bumper of some sort missing? I have the 85D with the lid attach to counter separately from the stove unit.
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also heating or cooking with unventilated propane like using a Buddy Heater or Coleman type propane stove will greatly increase condensation. During the times we lost use of the Wallas & turned to the Buddy Heater & coleman stove created our very worst condensation events.

I use one of those Korean butane stoves for a lot of our cooking. I tend to often cook in the cockpit under the bimini or in the camper back. This is especially important when you are boiling pasta or frying fish or bacon. It keeps much of the moisture out of the cabin and the smell as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: