The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Filling holes in the deck in the bilge area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Filling holes in the deck in the bilge area Reply with quote

A previous owner screwed down wood containments for the battery and gas tank in the deck in the bilge area on our 16'er, about 10 in all. Just regular phillips screws Smile We've taken them all out (some not without some effort since they were rusted), and we got some wood dust on a few, but it was dry. And the deck seems very solid, didn't find any soft spots at all. None of the holes are bigger than 1/4", and no deeper than 3/4". What's the current thinking on filling those, would Marine Tex be okay, or would another product be better to be sure it flows down and fully fills the hole? Thanks!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some epoxy specifically for flowing into things like that to seal them up. Don't remember what it was called. I would use something like that to seal the core and then fill it with thickened epoxy (e.g. West 610).
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had good result with G-flex in filling holes - flows right in very nicely. There are a litany of other epoxies that will work too I'm sure. I've used marine tex before, and it has it's place, but I don't think you'll be able to get into those small diameter holes very well.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
I had some epoxy specifically for flowing into things like that to seal them up. Don't remember what it was called. I would use something like that to seal the core and then fill it with thickened epoxy (e.g. West 610).

Probably Smith's CPES. Still considered the best by wooden boat builders, but pricey. The two pint kit is a lifetime supply for most people. No amine blush (which you wouldn't be able to remove in a screw hole before adding thickened epoxy). I would clean things out and make sure there is no moisture damage, then fill with a loose (honey consistency) thickened epoxy. West System used to have little ketchup packets of its epoxy so that you didn't need to buy a couple of cans. You can thicken with sawdust or flour if you don't want to spring for cabosil.

https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-Original-Clear-Penetrating-Sealer/dp/B019IKGDZI[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually drill out these holes to be clean of rust etc--1/4" will work fine if you are not going to put more screws in--if more screws, then 5/16 and under cut the deck before putting epoxy plug in place.

Then work plain neat epoxy into each hole, using. a swab to work it into the sides of the core. Thicken the epoxy and then work that down unto filling the hole. I used the same mix of epoxy I had mixed for lining the holes with neat epoxy., I agree that Marine Tex is too thick to work down fully.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1988 16’er had the same blocks of wood screwed to the floor. Maybe they are a factory install? I’m hoping to reuse some to mount a new fuel tank.
zuunami

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roamad, I don't think wood put down with machine screws was a factory install Smile I'm curious why you would want to put wood down in the bilge area?
zuunami

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone, got some epoxy flowed into those holes today. Now researching how to make a light weight fuel tank container that can slide in and out, and also how to move the battery to one of the seatboxs. So thankful for all of the resources here on C-Brats!
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what you want in a fuel tank. I probably would buy a pre made plastic tank, and perhaps glue some slides of King Starboard (or any high density polyethylene strips to the inner side of the hull, to slide the tank on. 1/4" thick and roughen up the back, and cut some dove tail notches to give tooth for adhesive (either 5200 or G Flex epoxy) after flame treating the HDPE.
zuunami

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway, we're thinking of two 3-gal tanks, one on each side, then moving the battery to the port seatbox (we're not going on long hauls, and like the idea of just moving and changing them out to keep fuel fresh), and yes, we would want to lay down some sort of lifters slanted toward the center so water can flow underneath, then figure out a tie down system.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of larger tanks--but the 3 gallon are easily handled. I use a 6 gallon as back up for my Honda EU2200 generator. Even the 6 gallon is easily handled. I wonder if a 3 gallon or 6 gallons total, would be enough the the cruising you want to do?

There are a number of ways of holding the tanks in place--but with smaller thanks you don't really need much. Gluing down strips of PVC lumber to the floor with epoxy and then screwing strap holders to them would work well.
zuunami

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Thataway, we have two six gallong tanks, just trying to lighten the load. We won't be going more than 5 or 6 miles a day out of harbor per day. Finding a 3 gal tank with a decent review online is a different matter apparently with the new gas tanks. There's always the 6 gal tanks Smile
Safetythird

City/Region: Hopkinton
State or Province: MA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
thanks everyone, got some epoxy flowed into those holes today. Now researching how to make a light weight fuel tank container that can slide in and out, and also how to move the battery to one of the seatboxs. So thankful for all of the resources here on C-Brats!

I'm doing almost the same thing on my 16'.

I want the battery under the passenger seat box, and more range though, so, larger tanks.

And somewhere to put fish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: