The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cover for 16' cruiser
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Cover for 16' cruiser Reply with quote

We have a full canvas cover that we're in the process of cleaning, but would also like a "quickie cover" for unexpected rainy days, and/or dirt, that goes on easily and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. We bought a truck cover from Amazon, but it was way too big and bulky. I've looked at boat covers on Amazon, but nothing seems to account for the cockpit of the C-Dory, and I don't want to throw more money away like I did on the truck cover Smile Anyone found an "off the rack" type of cover for the 16' cruiser that's decent? I don't expect it to last forever, just fit somewhat well. Thanks!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy or make a "Slant back" or "cockpit cover". They attach to an awning rail on the cabin top, have lift the dot snaps on the cabin side, and along the Clamp, gunwale, or side of the hull, a cut out cover for the motor. Keeps all water out of the cockpit. Easily carried, and early put on the boat. No reason to cover the entire boat. You can make one glued with ShelterRite vinyl material, or Sunbrella sewn material.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
zuunami

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, today I bought a 10x12 tarp and put it up to annoy the neighbors for a few days Smile Actually, if I cut it to fit it might be serviceable for a bit, easy to get in and out of as we work on the boat over the winter. At the same time, I've decided to cut up the original cover that came with the boat, the one that covers clear from the anchor back to over the motors. A lot of the stitching was going bad anyway, this way we can put it on and decide how we want to piece it back together in sections so that it's easier to put on, maybe do away with the bow section and make the motor cover separate. Anyway, cutting away the motor section tonight, I was really impressed with the quality of workmanship of the cover from 2006 - just some stitching giving way Smile

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my photos I have a folder called "Poor Man's Boat Cover" where I used a $20 plastic tarp "customized" to fit my 16. I threw it over, marked it with a Sharpie as to where to cut darts in the appropriate places, and then used duct tape to make the seams. I only use it when I have a big project in the shop. It keeps pitch and needles off of the boat for a couple of weeks and then the boat goes back in the garage. The PVC pipe frame helps with moisture if it's outside for more than a week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zuunami

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marco, good idea, we're starting down that road until we build a roof over it. Is the PVC just to keep the tarp away from the boat surface?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
just some stitching giving way.
Most covers are sewn with Dacron thread. This will give out from the UV light in 5 to 7 years (average). If Tenara thread (Gortex) is UV resistant. (this costs almost 10X the Dacron UV treated thread. The seams can be sewn back or even sewn over. Not an expensive thing to have done.
zuunami

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, yes I see online that Tenara is quite expensive, although probably worth it. Going to get out the old sewing machine Smile
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, I had a custom canvas cockpit cover made for my boat many years ago. It wasn't cheap, but I consider it one the best investments that I've ever made for any boat I've ever owned. It snaps perfectly into place, with cutouts and modification to accommodate all the irregularities of my boat (i.e. cleats, rails, etc.). It's bombproof, windproof and weatherproof. It keeps my cockpit bone dry. Especially if you keep your boat outside and not under cover for any significant amount of time you may want to consider getting a nice, custom made cover to protect your considerable investment.
zuunami

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnr, yes, we have a full canvas cover (see photo above filling our living room) from motor to anchor from Angola from 2011 - it even has a tag on it with the person's name on it who made it and a smiley face, just found that, kind of cute Smile
But it was really really neglected, with moss even growing on it, so we're cleaning it up, repairing it, then putting a new coat of waterproofing on it. Not easy now that we've entered the rainy season Smile Thus the need for a temporary cover, so we're doing like Marco with the poor man's tarp cover for now.
It's raining out today, and for some reason I have more confidence in the poly cover than I do for the canvas (we can get 5 to 10 days of rain in a row here), but maybe I'm wrong. Just not sure how clean we can get the original canvas so that it will "take" a new waterproofing (have 303 marine water guard on order).
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PVC pipe is to ensure that there is enough ventilation under the cover. If closed up too tight, you will get mildew even if everything is removed from the boat. I see this all the time where people are asking advice on mechanical or chemical methods to stop mildew in a boat that is closed up tight. I try to leave as open as possible without actual rain coming in (hatches and windows open under the cover). Much easier to remove a couple of spiders than mold and mildew.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zuunami

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Marco, all too familiar with the air flow needs in a damp environment! So we have a half poor man's cover for the coming rain, while we continue to work on the canvas cover - hard to do with it raining Smile The tarp has actually kept it quite dry inside, and so easy to get in and out of.

zuunami

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco, by the way, I saw an old post you were involved with about roof condensation, and microballoons in paint. Any updates on that? sounds very interesting. We have a lot of condensation, as we do with our adjacent metal carport roof. For the carport roof, we're interested in a product call Drip Stop, that actually absorbs moisture, then releases it slowly. Don't think that would work with the boat, but the microballoons as an insulating factor could.
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an improvement in sound and condensation, but it was a lot of work and I'm not sure it would be worth the effort as a stand alone project. I already had the materials on hand and the boat mostly taken apart. One of the nice improvements was actually overspraying the insulating coating with Krylon paint. It made for a smooth interior that is easy to wipe down and any big scuff marks can be covered with another shot of paint.

We've never had a problem with condensation when sleeping in the 16 because it is so open. I bought a cheap but thick comforter at Walmart that I cut triangular for the V berth and resewed the edge. It is warm enough so that leaving things open isn't a problem. Got down to 26 at Yellowstone and I don't remember condensation being a problem. I do remember that the throttle cable froze.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marko said,
Quote:
". . . Got down to 26 at Yellowstone and I don't remember condensation being a problem. I do remember that the throttle cable froze."

Hey, at 26 there is no condensation, except for hot breath, cause it all turns into icicles Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

zuunami

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't overnight in ours, but it would be nice to control the condensation, working on it Smile I don't know why the interior finish is so very bumpy, I wouldn't want it smooth, it would be too slippery, but it's a very haphazard finish, like someone lost control of a texture sprayer Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: