The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Nano Quartz Coating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmachine

City/Region: Birch Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: KUNI-G
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Nano Quartz Coating Reply with quote

Quick question for any C-Brats that have or looked into a Nano Quartz Coating (Si02 + Ti02) for fiberglass vs. a normal wax. The company I use for my yearly detail mentioned that this should last around 2-3 years in our area vs. a typical wax that needs to be reapplied every 8-10 months. The charge for the Nano vs. the wax is about 50% additional.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was doing experiments on the black stripe protection--I coated part of it with the mckee 37 spray on and wash off with water. I was not impressed. Other products did better. If I was doing it now, I would use a different product: I would cut/buff/polish, then apply one of the liquid coats of ceramic coating which is much more expensive.

On the other hand, there are a lot of folks on "The Hull Truth" who have had professional ceramic coatings who have had good experiences apparently lasting several years.

My understanding is that there is a lot of work doing a good ceramic coating job. Also it may be difficult to paint the boat if that is ever contemplated. I might be a little suspicious of the only 50% more than the regular detail job. Try and find out exactly how they apply the ceramic and how much is used. The gel coat. has to be prepped to perfection before the ceramic is applied. It would be normal prep at least two or 3 passes with the buffer/cutting wheel over the entire boat. The better the prep, the better the end result. Then a skillful application of the ceramic coating. 18 to 24 months is what is usually touted as being the length of protection. If. you re-coat before it becomes degraded, then you can get away with a less prep on the subsequent jobs.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/SzKoP5tLke0
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this shows some good comparisons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxKQwZah1s

the "Project Farm" guy does some very good comparisons on many products. You will have to listen on FAST cause he is.

Quote:
BRANDS TESTED: Mothers California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax, Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax, Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating, Epic Elements Protect, Mothers CMX, Epic CR2 Hydro Protect, Adams Spray Coating, and Ethos Pro Ceramic Wax. I purchased all of the products tested.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
And this shows some good comparisons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxKQwZah1s

the "Project Farm" guy does some very good comparisons on many products. You will have to listen on FAST cause he is.

Quote:
BRANDS TESTED: Mothers California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax, Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax, Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating, Epic Elements Protect, Mothers CMX, Epic CR2 Hydro Protect, Adams Spray Coating, and Ethos Pro Ceramic Wax. I purchased all of the products tested.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

That's all well and good, but how well do these products protect against oxidation?

You could argue that having slippery boat surfaces might not be the best thing to do to your boat.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One needs to be a bit cautious when comparing automotive finish: which had the color coat and then is clear coated-and the wax/coating is being applied to the clear coat.

Gel coat, has no clear coat over it--and it rather porous. The 'ceramic" coating fills those voids in the gelcoat.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
One needs to be a bit cautious when comparing automotive finish: which had the color coat and then is clear coated-and the wax/coating is being applied to the clear coat.

Gel coat, has no clear coat over it--and it rather porous. The 'ceramic" coating fills those voids in the gelcoat.

I wondered about the difference between paint on metal and wax on gel coat. He (Project Farm guy) does address the smoothness of the paint at 00:45 to 01.03 on the video.

Quote:
"While the Paint appears to be very shiny it is actually not that smooth without a protective coating which fills in the imperfections and makes the paint slick."

With the UV barrier in the ceramic I was thinking of trying this on the brow strip. That is where the color seems to go the fastest.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
With the UV barrier in the ceramic I was thinking of trying this on the brow strip. That is where the color seems to go the fastest.

It’s the most near horizontal colored surface so it takes a brunt of the sun etc. Our black brow will always haze the quickest of all the color in the boat. From my car resto days; white shows the least degradation due to pigments in the paint. Red the most. The pigments needed to make red do not hold up to UV well at all.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used an acrylic floor product on the eyebrow. I believe that was what was being used before I bought the boat.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I have used an acrylic floor product on the eyebrow. I believe that was what was being used before I bought the boat.

Bob, do you know which one was on there before you got it? And how did it stand up to the FL sunshine, and which did you use?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bob, do you know which one was on there before you got it? And how did it stand up to the FL sunshine, and which did you use?

Harvey, I don't know what product was used before I bought the boat. The previous owner denied that any product like Poly Glow, Vertglas, and NewGlass2 had been used. There was some build up around the posts of the hand rail.

The top and eyebrow received regular boat wax (either Fleetwax or McQuires) for 2 years. Then I did some experiments including Zep wet look floor wax. There has been no yellowing or peeling in the 3 years.

It is easily removed with the proper ZEP stripper. The cost for both the floor product and the stripper is a fraction of that of Poly Glow and similar.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Said:

Quote:
"The top and eyebrow received regular boat wax (either Fleetwax or McQuires) for 2 years. Then I did some experiments including Zep wet look floor wax. There has been no yellowing or peeling in the 3 years."

How often are you applying the Zep? Or was that a one time application followed for 3 years?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I have only applied it once a year. The last time I applied on the hull stripe, I used a micro fiber applicator, instead of torn up T shirt. It applied the material too thick and caused streaks. I will remove that when the boat comes back, and then discuss with the new owner what he wants to do: Continue this or use one of the waxes. Waxes at least twice a year;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: