The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Swing for a 16 or 18 or hold out for a 22

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nebbekaneazer

City/Region: Federal Way
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Swing for a 16 or 18 or hold out for a 22 Reply with quote

Wanted to see folks thoughts on possibly swinging for a 16 or 18 in decent condition to use while I continue to save/hunt for a 22. I’m located up in the pacific northwest so they are not too uncommon within reasonable driving distance.

Conditions from the boss (my wife) are that funds do not require financing a payment. Pricing from my research so far puts a decent 16-18 in the roughly 15k-25k range while a decent used 22 cruiser seems to range 30-50ish.

I currently have the cash on hand for one of the smaller 16-18’s.

Would you swing for a smaller one to get on the water or would you just hunker down to get into striking distance of the slightly larger cruiser sooner?

My primary use will be fishing with my father to start with until my kids get a bit older. Once they get a little older it will play double duty for the family so having the enclosed cabin isn’t super essential out of the gate.

Let me know your thoughts, get on the water or hold out
Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife & I just did what you are proposing! We searched in vain for months for a 22 and finally found a 16 at a good price (though we’ll be spending lots to upgrade the motor). We decided to grab it and keep looking for that larger boat, knowing our 16 will have good resale value when that time comes.
So...I say buy what you can find now, enjoy it and keep your eyes peeled for the next one!
Safetythird

City/Region: Hopkinton
State or Province: MA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't skip on the opportunity to go fishing with my dad.

Time goes quick.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, Welcome Nebbe - - -

It sounds like you are using some good sense in your planning. C-BRATS is a great place with incredible people here that are willing to offer opinions based on experience and expertise. And it is good to see new folks stepping up to the plate with good advice as well. As you probably know, the factory is not making anymore 16s or 19 either I believe, based on their factory brochure from 2021. SO, IF you can find one, it is likely highly prized as a collectors edition. An 18 will be even way more rare. So the idea of getting your $$$ back is likely right on. Also, taking the time and opportunity to be with your Dad is a very excellent suggestion.

The notion of the 22 is good because it will probably fit your family better down the road, but time on the water is an investment in sanity. Building memories now is something you can't go back and catch up on in 10 years.

The "boss" is making very practical constraints in the financial department. It will make things much more comfortable to comply there and going for the shorter, smaller boat will get you on the water where you can be learning and still having fun. Handling a small boat, will most likely make you a better "handler" on a larger one later.

Not often would I advise someone to play the 2 (4) foot "itis" game, but I do believe that a sound 16, taken care of is an investment. Not always true, but in these times, I think that is a wise route.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Nebbekaneazer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all sound advice. I think I’ll swing at a few and see if one sticks. The question then becomes I wonder if I’ll get an early Christmas present for my self and wether or not that changes my list for Santa Wink

-Chad
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chad, just remember Micky Mantles rule. "If you don't swing you will never hit a home run." (or something like that Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The arguments "YOLO", "Time waits for no man", and "It's only money" suggest that getting the boat you want is what you should do.

22s are a lot more common than 16s. If you wait for a 16, you might be missing out on things you can't do later. IMO, if a 22 comes up, go for it. Pay what you can with cash and finance the rest. You'll get most of your money back when you sell the boat whether it's a 16 or a 22.

You never know what could happen tomorrow.
Nebbekaneazer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing about the boss, while we are also saving for a cabin it’s all “our money” soon as it’s my boat it quickly becomes no financing and it better come out of your play money 😂

-chad
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're concluding the purchase of a 16' cruiser this Friday after four months of looking (and lurking here), so know how you feel! Early on we decided to go small (16') for many reasons - storage, towability, manueverabiity, etc - but also so that we could determine how much we're going to use it, learn a lot, and maybe go bigger later. Unfortunately, one of the first C-Dory's we got to check out near here was a 25' cruiser, so it was an adjustment to set our sights on a 16' instead:) But we're ecstatic to be getting one! Just be sure that you see one in person, and get on board, they are small! Smile Be sure to understand the differences between the cruisers and anglers, too. Good luck!
zuunami

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, we think it's a good investment as well. I saw another recent post here, tho, that indicated they were again making the 16' cruiser - price with Suzuki 50hp and trailer was $46k.
zuunami

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, we think it's a good investment as well, if you can get one for under $16-$17k with a well running main and kicker (in my opinion). Don't forget, a new motor will costs you tons, and a good kicker $1,500 and up. I saw another recent post here that indicated they were again making the 16' cruiser - price with Suzuki 50hp and trailer was $46k.
https://www.mastermarine.com/boats-for-sale/2021-c-dory-16-cruiser-c10037-mount-vernon-washington-7729571/
Nebbekaneazer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to Lawrence from master marine and he confirmed the factory is no longer producing the 16 unfortunately and is back ordered through Jan 2023.
davidJ

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: E-Z Rider
Photos: davidJ
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a 19er for 13 years, mostly use it for fishing, crabbing and shrimping in the San Juans with 1 or 2 others on board, but some times with just by my self. Mt wife doesn't like boating, but if she did, or I was taking small kids along, or overnighting I would trade it for a 22 tomorrow.

The 19 and 22 have full standing headroom in the cabin for most folks, they are wider deeper, weight more and are safer in heavy weather than the 16 or 18. Think about being out at Ice Berg point or at Lawson Reef trying to pull 4 shrimp pots when the wind kicks up and your taking 4 to 5 foot waves on the side, it happens.

The 18 is like a 16 with 2 foot added on to make room for a bigger cabin. The 19 is the same hull as the 22, with 3 feet chopped off, but it is just as wide and deep as the 22, that's important when the weather goes bad. Also there is enough room in the back of the 19 and 22 to stack 4 crab pots, and 4 shrimp pots on top of them and room for the floats and line in the fore ward cabin.

I live a half mile from the boat launch at Washington Park at Anacortes and it won't be long before your going to want to come up North. It can be dead calm at the boat launch but I will usually find 3 to 4 foot waves when rounding most any point running into the wind and tide. I have probably made 500 trips out over the last 12 years and replaced my main motor this year, just because.

Play it safe, pay more, get a loan, get a 22 with a newer motor, ( it can take up to 4 hours running on a kicker against the tide to do a 1 hour run back to the launch), and get radar ( fog happens a lot around here) and a good Galvanized trailer with newer tires, brakes and bearings and you will probably be around to make the payments on the boat. I think your wife will come around once she reads my post it's a no brainer, and it's winter and there are 2 times as many 22 out there as there are 16's,18's and 19ers combined. If your looking for a cheap boat you will probably have to settle for an old motor and an old trailer and no radar, that's not good on less you can afford to upgrade everything.
Nebbekaneazer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up connecting with a fellow cbrat to make deal on a 1999 22 angler. Now I get to be nervous until we get the transport done. Sending my father down over the holiday weekend to bring her home. Will need to do a couple small rigging projects but the vessel itself is in great shape.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made a wise choice--congratulations!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: