The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Outboard Oil Analysis - High Sodium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATPNW

City/Region: Covington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Fellowship
Photos: Fellowship
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Outboard Oil Analysis - High Sodium Reply with quote

Hi All,

We've had our 2006 Cape Cruiser 23 with twin 2005 Honda BF50's for around a year now. Fished hard this summer and recently went through the end of year maintenance. I sampled motor oil from each outboard and sent it in to Blackstone Laboratories to have it analyzed. The motors have about 500 hours a piece on them now. The starboard motor came back with a high sodium reading, indicating coolant (pretty sure there is no coolant) / salt water contamination. I am hoping you all can provide some guidance on where i should start poking around regarding my issue. When I purchased the boat, both motors had a lot of salt build up in the water jackets which I was able to clear up with Rydlyme. Is my only culprit the head gasket? Ive never pulled apart a motor, but have done plenty of fluid changes, spark plugs and brakes on vehicles. So id consider myself more in the novice/intermediate range of mechanics.

Thanks,
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Outboard Oil Analysis - High Sodium Reply with quote

ATPNW wrote:
Hi All,

We've had our 2006 Cape Cruiser 23 with twin 2005 Honda BF50's for around a year now. Fished hard this summer and recently went through the end of year maintenance. I sampled motor oil from each outboard and sent it in to Blackstone Laboratories to have it analyzed. The motors have about 500 hours a piece on them now. The starboard motor came back with a high sodium reading, indicating coolant (pretty sure there is no coolant) / salt water contamination. I am hoping you all can provide some guidance on where i should start poking around regarding my issue. When I purchased the boat, both motors had a lot of salt build up in the water jackets which I was able to clear up with Rydlyme. Is my only culprit the head gasket? Ive never pulled apart a motor, but have done plenty of fluid changes, spark plugs and brakes on vehicles. So id consider myself more in the novice/intermediate range of mechanics.

Thanks,

There is no coolant - you are right. How about change the washer on the oil plug? I'm not joking. Also....change your oil more often. Anyway....the the washer costs about nothing and more frequent oil changes are pretty close. I wouldn't get out of shape because of a lab result depending how crazy it was, but I'd do those simple things and monitor closely. The washer is actually something that should get changed out after each oil change and can cause your lab results.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would do a compression test and a leak down test to check the top end.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
I think I would do a compression test and a leak down test to check the top end.

Not a bad idea on any new to you engine - probably better to do it before it's a new to you engine. But with no reported oil consumption or no goofy drivability issues, it's hard to imagine anything too serious will come up on a compression test - but maybe. It could very well be a head gasket, or as simple as the drain plug washer leaking. A leak down test usually does provide a good compass heading - more meaningful than a compression test usually. With that said, Honda 50s are nearly bomb proof....I am hoping the problem is the 20 cent washer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: